Business Visa Vs Tourist Visa

I shall be coming to Thailand soon for about a year. Obviously I'm entitled to a multiple entry tourist visa, but I could also get a multiple entry business visa. What advantages would a business visa have over a tourist visa? I will not be working, so do not require a work permit. Is it possible to get a Thai drivers licence with a business visa? I guess this would be one obvious advantage.

I'll add that I am single and under 50, so marriage and retirement visas are not an option. I may consider an investment visa after a year, but not at this time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and for any help you may be able to give,

Konangrit

Sorry, this is where the Thai Tourist and Immigration are not very helpful.

I think your only option is the multiple entry tourist visa.

You can drive on your International Licence, and there is no time limit for that, as in some countries. You can also rent property.

Once you decide that you want to invest you can apply for a the investment visa. Alternatively you may find the "right" Thai girl and get married!!

Good luck

A tourist visa gives you 60 days on each entry (plus extension 30 days (1,900 Baht), plus extra extension 10 days (another 1,900 Baht).

A NON-B gives you 90 days on each entry. Normally no extension allowed, unless you have applied for a work permit, which entitles you to apply for a one-year extension (1,900 Baht).

Thanks for your reply, but it doesn't really answer the question of what advantages a business visa has over a tourist visa, any thoughts would be welcome,

Konangrit

You get 90 day stays on each entry with a multiple entry non-immigrant visa, against 60 day stays on tourist visa's. A tourist visa is extendable by 30 days on each entry but each time that will cost you time and 1900 baht. There are no "multiple" entry tourist visa's. You are charged on a per entry basis, and you have to make all entries within six months. The multiple non-immigrant visa is valid a full year and if you re-enter Thailand just before its expiry, you'll be granted another 90 day stay, giving you nearly 15 months in Thailand. You can get a Thai driver's licence while holding a non-immigrant visa. The non-immigrant visa would be my personal choice. Hull or Birmingham are the places to apply in the UK. Keep away from the Thai Embassy in London at all costs. it is altogether too hard to deal with.

Alternatively you may find the "right" Thai girl and get married!!

Good luck

Couldn't be any worse than the last one I married :o

Thanks George, so it saves a few baht and visits to immigration, any other advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks for your reply, but it doesn't really answer the question of what advantages a business visa has over a tourist visa, any thoughts would be welcome,

Konangrit

You get 90 day stays on each entry with a multiple entry non-immigrant visa, against 60 day stays on tourist visa's. A tourist visa is extendable by 30 days on each entry but each time that will cost you time and 1900 baht. There are no "multiple" entry tourist visa's. You are charged on a per entry basis, and you have to make all entries within six months. The multiple non-immigrant visa is valid a full year and if you re-enter Thailand just before its expiry, you'll be granted another 90 day stay, giving you nearly 15 months in Thailand. You can get a Thai driver's licence while holding a non-immigrant visa. The non-immigrant visa would be my personal choice. Hull or Birmingham are the places to apply in the UK. Keep away from the Thai Embassy in London at all costs. it is altogether too hard to deal with.

That's great Pat, everything I needed to know, I can get one from Cardiff no problem. Didn't realise that you have to make all entries within 6 months on a tourist visa.

Thakyou to everyone for your speedy and helpful replies,

Konangrit