Airport taxi drivers block off Transport Ministry

webfact

By THE NATION

800_97627e41498985b.jpeg?v=1573115797

A hundred members of the Thai Public Taxi Association and Task Force for Organising Service Vehicles at Suvarnabhumi Airport blocked the entrance to the Transport Ministry on Thursday (November 7) while demanding a response to their request for hikes in fares and luggage-handling fees.

Minister Saksayam Chidchob had promised to consider the request in late August.

The proposal is that the meter fare would remain at Bt35 for the first kilometre but would increase incrementally by Bt0.50 per km for every consecutive 10km, so that the charge would be Bt7.50 per km for Km21-40 and ultimately Bt10.50 per km for rides beyond 80km.

The organisations also want airport surcharge rates increased from Bt50 to Bt70 for normal-size taxis and from Bt70 to Bt90 for larger taxis, as well as applying a Bt20 fee for every piece of luggage 26 inches in length or larger, though the first two pieces would be handled for free.

The taxi drivers’ representative said the minister had promised to consider their request “many times” but they’d still had no response.

One rep, who declined to give his name, said Saksayam recently promised them the Department of Land Transport would pursue more information, and meanwhile the government aimed to cooperate with the drivers.

The department has acknowledged that the taxi drivers are struggling with fuel costs under the current fare schedule and those who drive large taxis to and from the airport suffer worst.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378142

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-07

Idiots!

i guess you cant fit anything more then 1 26" bag because of the gay stereos/speakers and taxi guys closet...

i demand to see no taci drives that are clearly using drugs and want to know how many are gun and machete free?

from taxi drivers i know in my wifes family they all carry illegal guns and back ip knives. And here is the kicker... 3 i know personally drive a taxi as a second job to working in government jobs. They aint poor!!!!!! greedy, yes!!!!

i say sack em all and let uber take over.

10 minutes ago, secondfusilier said:

Sorry to disillusion you but the vast majority of Bangkok taxi drivers are not honest.

Every time that i have to catch a taxi I have to get in at least 3 taxis before I can get one who will take me where I want to go with the meter.

Usual responses are 'no meter', how much you pay?' and 'not can go, too far'.

The one's at the airport are the worst.

For the last 4 times that I have caught a taxi at the airport I have been asked 'You tip?' before we have even set off.

In reality the vast majority of Bangkok taxi drivers are under qualified, dangerous and cheating low life crooks.

+1

I very rarely use taxis since owning a car, having the BTS right outside my front door, and learning the routes of many bus numbers that are relevant to me. It's made my life just that little more stress free and pleasant not having to deal with taxi drivers. 

1 hour ago, secondfusilier said:

Over many trips from Suv. airport to central Bangkok, I’ve yet to have a single bad experience with any taxi driver. Even taking into account lower wages, they’re astonishingly cheap compared with taxis in my home country of Australia. I always leave a good tip, although I’ve never been asked for one.

4 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

What's the point in adjusting the meter amount when many taxi drivers will not turn on the meter?

And play other games.

A couple of days back an old farang work colleague called me, he had just had an argument with a driver near Phaya Thai, driver spoke good English, a minute after 3.30 pm driver told the passenger their is a new regulation, passengers in any taxi after 3.30 pm have to pay additional 100Baht of top of charge on the meter no matter no matter whether they arrive at destination before 4,00 pm or not.  

1 hour ago, CygnusX1 said:

Over many trips from Suv. airport to central Bangkok, I’ve yet to have a single bad experience with any taxi driver. Even taking into account lower wages, they’re astonishingly cheap compared with taxis in my home country of Australia. I always leave a good tip, although I’ve never been asked for one.

That's been my experience too. I have had the 500 baht suggestion from Swampy to lower Suk and laughed and said 400. That was accepted. He paid the airport fee and motorway tolls. Normally would have cost me about 280- 300 baht depending on traffic plus tolls of 70 baht. Hardly worth stressing about. I ended giving him a 500 note anyway. More important things in life than worrying about a couple of bucks which mean very little to me but can mean a lot to someone else.

Sometimes I use the Airport link and BTS to get to my hotel - really depends on my mood and which hotel I have decided to stay in.

A taxi from Kingsford Smith to the North Shore set me back the equivalent of 1000 baht at todays Xrate, fifteen years ago. God only knows what it would cost these days.

When in BKK city I use the BTS/MRT or tuk tuks. Still as cheap as chips in the big picture. Going out for the night and spending 7-10,000 baht the 200baht tuk tuk fare is a non event

1 hour ago, CygnusX1 said:

I have taken countless Bangkok taxis over 40 years and only had 3 negative experiences. 1 was just plain argumentative and rude, only one would not turn on the meter ( he got nothing in the end because a good cop sided with me ) and an idiot who wanted to take the long way around.

Having said that it could be that they don't want to try it on with Thai speakers but generally speaking I have met way more good guys than bad.

Sometimes I just get the impression that newbies just parrot what they here from their newbie friends in the hope it will make them look like old hands.

4 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Idiots

4 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

i guess you cant fit anything more then 1 26" bag because of the gay stereos/speakers and taxi guys closet...

Whilst I suspect your first language may not be english.

I have no doubt your views and observations are homophobic; xenophobic; ill informed and are the result of a one off experience.

But thank you for your post. I am sure Uber will be assured by your endorsement.

40 minutes ago, secondfusilier said:

acting like a 2 week millionaire and brag about how much more you pay than the going rate

I think that term applies to someone who showers thousands of baht on the local ladies and stays in a 5 star hotel rather than someone who overpays a taxi driver 100 baht.

49 minutes ago, secondfusilier said:

These are the same people who fall in love as soon as they get off the plane

At least I’ve not made that mistake yet, a little more costly than overtipping a taxi driver.

13 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

Sorry to disillusion you but the vast majority of Bangkok taxi drivers are not honest.

Every time that i have to catch a taxi I have to get in at least 3 taxis before I can get one who will take me where I want to go with the meter.

For the last 4 times that I have caught a taxi at the airport I have been asked 'You tip?' before we have even set off.

In reality the vast majority of Bangkok taxi drivers are under qualified, dangerous and cheating low life crooks.

i use taxi's often and dont recognise the problems you experience. i get picked up first time most of the time, very rarely do the drivers try not to use the meter and i cant remember the last time a driver tried to take a longer than necessary route.

possibly something about the way you dress/behave/where you get your taxis is bringing this problem on yourself?

15 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

What's the point in adjusting the meter amount when many taxi drivers will not turn on the meter?

14 hours ago, Just Weird said:

The point is that the honest drivers, i.e. the majority, will be able to make more money.

Granted, around the tourist haunts, tourists are seen as prey. 

But, it may give some of the fare quoting drivers the incentive to actually use the meter. 

17 hours ago, webfact said:

By THE NATION

800_97627e41498985b.jpeg?v=1573115797

A hundred members of the Thai Public Taxi Association and Task Force for Organising Service Vehicles at Suvarnabhumi Airport blocked the entrance to the Transport Ministry on Thursday (November 7) while demanding a response to their request for hikes in fares and luggage-handling fees.

Great, quick, quick Grab drivers, that's your only chance to sneak into Swampy Poon, while the greedy airport taxi are blocking the Transport Ministry:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Percentage wise not a lot of trouble for me,one no meter I got out,one taken on a tour,one deliberately missed my soi so he could go to the next uturn and go back,I got out and walked.otherwise not to bad.But we all have different experiences.

I agree with the idea that a higher fee would apply for a larger vehicle... that part to me is rooted in a defensible position.

i also agree with the idea that there be a surcharge for 3rd and beyond bags... that too I think is rooted in good policy.

where I am a bit less convinced is the need for a overall fare hike... I agree with the idea that IF (and that’s an IF) it is proven that the fuel rates driver pay has sustainably remained elevated relative to the current fare at structure, THEN I think I’d be a supporter... but before I sign on to that, I want to see the independent, large scale data that shows this.

On 11/7/2019 at 4:48 PM, Just Weird said:

The point is that the honest drivers, i.e. the majority, will be able to make more money.

Point taken! When an agency gets rid of the crooked drivers the honest drivers should benefit. Quid Pro Quo

On 11/7/2019 at 5:38 PM, secondfusilier said:

It seems that you may be the "disillusioned" one, I use Bangkok taxis twice a day, everyday from the lower Sukhumvit area going to the Ekkamai/Onnut area and the majority of taxis will use the meter and not refuse the fare and I can't remember ever getting a dangerous "driver". Some don't want the meter but most are ok.  

I'd be interested to know what makes you claim that most are "under-qualified"; how would you ever know that?

if you arrive late stay at a airport hotel  around $30 AUD. next morning sky train to your city hotel or bus to Pattaya. If you arrive early enough catch  the sky train or bell transport to Pattaya.  Saves a lot of stress and  arguements with  drivers. the  originally 50 baht booking fee was to protect the passengers  but it is just another level and waste of time.

I read with interest how  some have had few problems with taxis well all I can say you have no idea on prices and must be paying over the top. Early days it was easy but now it is very draining especially if you are arriving   around midnight after travelling all day.

2 hours ago, secondfusilier said:
13 hours ago, Just Weird said:

It seems that you may be the "disillusioned" one, I use Bangkok taxis twice a day, everyday from the lower Sukhumvit area going to the Ekkamai/Onnut area and the majority of taxis will use the meter and not refuse the fare and I can't remember ever getting a dangerous "driver". Some don't want the meter but most are ok.  

I'd be interested to know what makes you claim that most are "under-qualified"; how would you ever know that?

Because there is no requirement to get any special training to become a taxi driver in Thailand.

Try asking a Bangkok taxi driver to take you to to a place that is more than 10 km outside of their prowling zone and you hit problems.

Try asking a British cab driver to take you to anywhere in Britain and you know that you are going to get there.

As for your experiences with Bangkok taxi drivers, you can spout your rhetoric as much as you like but I for one do not believe a word of it because you never offer a balanced view on how Thais treat foreigners.

Every single post you have made about Thais is in their favour and positive, not one single complaint about them.

Do you honestly think that we believe that you go through life without a negative interaction with Thais.

It is pointless for me to try argue with someone who is so brainwashed that they believe that Thais are never wrong and that anyone who finds fault in them is instantly wrong..

you are a Thai apologist of the highest level and I believe that your case of this is so bad, so far gone that I don't think that it could be treated.

"Because there is no requirement to get any special training to become a taxi driver in Thailand".

No requirement  kind of blows your "under-qualified" nonsense out of the water, doesn't it, unless you've elevated yourself to the position of making the requirements now?

"Try asking a Bangkok taxi driver to take you to to a place that is more than 10 km outside of their prowling zone and you hit problems".

No, generally untrue again.

"...you can spout your rhetoric as much as you like but I for one do not believe a word of it because you never offer a balanced view on how Thais treat foreigners".

You seem to be suggesting that you do proffer a balanced view!

"Do you honestly think that we believe that you go through life without a negative interaction with Thais".

I really don't care what you believe about my accurate observations, perhaps my views are the balance to the constant, gratuitous and inaccurate Thai-bashing that goes on here daily?  By the way, you used the phrase "...what we believe...", it should have been "what I believe", you speak for no one except yourself here.

"you are a Thai apologist of the highest level..."

As opposed to a Thai-basher of the highest level, I suppose?

"...and I believe that your case of this is so bad, so far gone that I don't think that it could be treated".

So there's "a treatment" that's needed for rationality, is there, but it's only needed when an opinion differs from yours?

Archived