Tour Excursions - Phuket Deep Water Port - Suggestions

Thomas J

Though we live in Pattaya, we are taking a cruise that includes a stop for two days in Phuket.  The ship will be docked at the Deep Water port in Phuket.  I have looked at various sites that show most of the shore excursions depart from locations 20 to 40 KM away.  Do any of you locals know of tour operators that pick up at or close to the deep water port and any suggestions on tours.  We would like to do Phi Phi islands but it appears as though all of those depart very early and we don't dock until 08:00 and depart the following day at 17:00.  So we appear to be arriving too late to make the first day and don't finish the tour in time on the second day. 

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

What time of year? If December through April most likely the information you received about mooring is not correct and docking will be in Patong.

Sevenl I called NCL and they indicated that they showed we would dock at the deep water port.  We arrive on December 11 and December 12 

3 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Sevenl I called NCL and they indicated that they showed we would dock at the deep water port.  We arrive on December 11 and December 12 

95% sure that will change. Speaking from experience dealing with tourists who have last minute changes.

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

95% sure that will change. Speaking from experience dealing with tourists who have last minute changes.

StevenL thanks.  You are probably correct.  I tried to get an idea from the tour excursion itinerary but it appears as though that the route would take about the same time from Patong and the Deep Water Port so who knows.  Perhaps I can book and then cancel one of the tours once I know exactly where the ship is going to dock. Since it is two days, I read that it is most typical they port in the deep water. 

I found this:

"During high season (November through April) cruise ships anchor near Patong Bay - the island's main tourist / beach destination (where the Sunset Beach Resort is located) and passengers are tendered to shore (via the ship's tender boats).
During summer / rainy season (May through October) ships dock at Ao Makam port (deep-water port with 1 pier) located approx 8 km (5 ml) from Phuket Town. When ships stay in Phuket overnight, they usually dock at Ao Makarm and tender their passengers to Patong and back."

5 hours ago, macahoom said:

I found this:

"During high season (November through April) cruise ships anchor near Patong Bay - the island's main tourist / beach destination (where the Sunset Beach Resort is located) and passengers are tendered to shore (via the ship's tender boats).
During summer / rainy season (May through October) ships dock at Ao Makam port (deep-water port with 1 pier) located approx 8 km (5 ml) from Phuket Town. When ships stay in Phuket overnight, they usually dock at Ao Makarm and tender their passengers to Patong and back."

The last paragraph is incorrect. Also overnight ships anchor near Patong, and I don't believe any tendering from ao makham to Patong.

What shore excursions are being offered by the Cruise line itself?

Many years ago I was on a Star cruise which had an overnight in Phuket, it docked at the Port and there were minivans available at a separate cost, which would take you into Patong or Phuket City.

A self tailored excursion could be pre organised for you by a larger tour operator. 

Keep an eye on https://www.vesselfinder.com/ for a few weeks before embarking, it shows where various ships are docking, cruise lines may all have different docking arrangements, hence Patong and tender transfer. 

8 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

What shore excursions are being offered by the Cruise line itself?

Many years ago I was on a Star cruise which had an overnight in Phuket, it docked at the Port and there were minivans available at a separate cost, which would take you into Patong or Phuket City.

A self tailored excursion could be pre organised for you by a larger tour operator. 

Keep an eye on https://www.vesselfinder.com/ for a few weeks before embarking, it shows where various ships are docking, cruise lines may all have different docking arrangements, hence Patong and tender transfer. 

A problem with the cruise line's own tours is the cost - very expensive compared to booking the same tour through an independent company or agent.

Of course, some people prefer to pay the extra and book a cruise tour as they feel secure in the knowledge that it is the cruise line's responsibility to get you back onboard before the sailing time whereas, if you get stuck in traffic when you've booked an independent tour, you're snookered.

47 minutes ago, macahoom said:

A problem with the cruise line's own tours is the cost - very expensive compared to booking the same tour through an independent company or agent.

Of course, some people prefer to pay the extra and book a cruise tour as they feel secure in the knowledge that it is the cruise line's responsibility to get you back onboard before the sailing time whereas, if you get stuck in traffic when you've booked an independent tour, you're snookered.

Agreed, however the internet is a fantastic tool to be able to somewhat replicate the cruise lines tours without the need to sell a kidney. (Allow greater margins for transit times than cruise own excursions). 

The Norwegian Jade is currently in Turkey, but will be positioning to Asia in December via the middle east, India and with a two day stopover in Phuket. The point being, this is not a regular cruise and may not use the usual high season, Patong anchorage.

If the OP wants to have a PhI Phi visit in his time in Phuket, he may have to do some internet searching to find someone who can fabricate a tour that will fit his schedule.

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

If the OP wants to have a PhI Phi visit in his time in Phuket, he may have to do some internet searching to find someone who can fabricate a tour that will fit his schedule.

I have searched extensively.  However on the internet the tours typically don't specify if they will pick up at the cruise port.  Also, the tours I have been able to find all start in the Rassada port which is a noticeable distance from where the cruise ships dock.  Arriving at 8 am does not allow sufficient time to get to Rassada.  Departing the following day at 5:00 does not allow sufficient time to get back from Rassada.  I was hoping to find a tour that did not have the length of time that the tours normally spend on the island that would either depart later on December 11, or return sooner on December 12.  I thought perhaps someone living in Phuket might know of such tours. 

On 11/10/2019 at 2:00 PM, Thomas J said:

I have searched extensively.  However on the internet the tours typically don't specify if they will pick up at the cruise port.  Also, the tours I have been able to find all start in the Rassada port which is a noticeable distance from where the cruise ships dock.  Arriving at 8 am does not allow sufficient time to get to Rassada.  Departing the following day at 5:00 does not allow sufficient time to get back from Rassada.  I was hoping to find a tour that did not have the length of time that the tours normally spend on the island that would either depart later on December 11, or return sooner on December 12.  I thought perhaps someone living in Phuket might know of such tours. 

See replies in your other thread on the same topic. 

Best plan would be to get a regular ferry, not go on a pricey tour.

Archived