Hospital for breast cancer surgery

Onrai

We just found out my girl friend has breast cancer. This is not a scam. I sat thru hours of testing-ultra sound of breast and axilla nodes, Fine Needle Biospy, 3-D Mammogram and consultations  with 3 breast surgeons. She has 2 lumps on one breast and 2 nodes are impacted. She can get the procedure done for free in Loei  but the hospital doesn’t  do reconstructive breast surgery. She is 35 and would prefer not  to have a simple mastectomy without reconstruction. We have been to BNH Hospital in Bangkok and have a quote to remove the lump and sentinel lymph nodes for $140,000-170,000 bhat, no chemo, radiation, hormone therapies or follow up visits included. We are trying to determine whether we can do the surgery in Bangkok and have the chemo, radiation and possible hormonal therapies done in Loei for free or substantially reduced cost.

There is antiquated patient/ doctor relationship in Thailand where the patient doesn’t ask any questions and suppose to do exactly what the doctor says. I am from the US and we want to know as much information as possible- stage of breast cancer, tumor receptor type- Estrogen, progestergen, Her2, triple neg, mastectomy vs. lumpectomy, neoadjuvant chem, etc. etc. The doctor will tell us nothing other than she’ll most likely need chemo and radiation.

Anybody know a good, compassionate, reasonably priced breast surgeon? Thanks. 

I understand completely hen you say Thai folk just will not, cannot question or even ask doctors for further information. Very frustrating for me as I need to attend regularly for 2 problems of my own.

Anyway, back to your query. Maybe 4 years ago our niece then aged about 19 years developed cancer in her face and was admitted to hospital many times for the appropriate treatment including chemo. We traveled from NE Isaan, to their home in Talad Thai then taxi to the hospital which was in the area of the Victory Monument where we were dropped off by the taxi and walked the rest.

I have contacted my wife's family and nobody can tell us the actual name of the hospital. I have checked on google and there are 4 within that area and it could have been any of them. Whichever it was, my family couldn't afford to pay big bills so it must have been a reasonable cost.

My point is the hospital cleared up all the nieces problems and she has been in remission for the past 2 years. I don't know if any of those 4 hospitals can carry out the procedures you require, but may be worth a 2 day trip there to check them out. In a few days I will ask sister-in-law again if she's remembered the name.

Good luck either way.......

On 11/10/2019 at 6:23 AM, Onrai said:

Anybody know a good, compassionate, reasonably priced breast surgeon? Thanks. 

My wife also was diagnosed with breast cancer and the hospital told us to go for a mastectomy n a  private hospital as their waiting list was too long.

.We went to a private hospital but were unhappy with their attitude.

We ended up going to Princess Chulabhorn hospital (l think this hospital is dedicated to cancer research and treatment) in BKK and found it excellent from staff to doctors. Everything was explained in both Thai and English and questions answered.

We needed to register with this hospital as as we live in a different area of BKK, we met other cancer patients who traveled from all parts of Thailand for treatment here.

My wife did not have a mastectomy only surgery and the required chemo etc.

I definitely think it is worth looking into.

Best of luck to you all.

http://www.chulabhornhospital.com/

Archived