Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Aerox - Seeking advice on sub tanks

Moonlover

Hi two wheelers. I'm about to order my new Aerox. And I'm pretty excited, but I'd welcome advice regarding the rear suspension.

I'm ordering the ABS version which does not have sub tanks, but they're available as an option. And I notice that the R version does have them.

So, simple question. What affect do sub tanks have on the ride and are they worth the extra?

Comments from experienced Aerox riders would be particularly welcome.

Safe riding everyone.

What Hummin said. To answer your question on the tanks or reservoir, they are useful because they allow the shock to hold more fluid. There are a few benefits of having more fluid in a shock absorber. The two common ones are to stop foaming of the oil and to help dissipate heat.

Your money will be much better spent getting a correctly sprung aftermarket shock rather than pay for a reservoir on a poorly designed under-sprung (most likely) standard unit.

Most things on bikes from major suppliers these days are of a fair quality. The exception to that are shocks and forks. The majority of none race style bikes have terrible suspension as a rule.

2 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

What Hummin said. To answer your question on the tanks or reservoir, they are useful because they allow the shock to hold more fluid. There are a few benefits of having more fluid in a shock absorber. The two common ones are to stop foaming of the oil and to help dissipate heat.

Your money will be much better spent getting a correctly sprung aftermarket shock rather than pay for a reservoir on a poorly designed under-sprung (most likely) standard unit.

Most things on bikes from major suppliers these days are of a fair quality. The exception to that are shocks and forks. The majority of none race style bikes have terrible suspension as a rule.

Very useful information thank you. The units that are available as an option are Ohlins and are the same as those fitted to the R version. But I'm sure they won't be super dooper versions due to the pricing. Maybe there just fitted as a sop to the 'boy racer' image.

I've only had a city test ride so far, so can't really make a full assessment. However as they are relatively easy components to replace, I might just give it  a month or two and see how I feel about it.

Thanks for the advise guys. At least I know what they're about now. 

ive ridden all 3 models and own the middle R model....

You definately can tell a difference between the standard shocks and the sub ones.....

i wasn't bothered about the abs and was worried about possible problems with the smart key - so plumped for the R Model .....

2 hours ago, properperson said:

ive ridden all 3 models and own the middle R model....

You definately can tell a difference between the standard shocks and the sub ones.....

i wasn't bothered about the abs and was worried about possible problems with the smart key - so plumped for the R Model .....

Thanks for this info. It may seem like a naive question, but I've not encountered sub tanks before, hence the topic. So may I ask what difference do they make?

I live out in the sticks and do encounter some rough roads at times, so I would appreciate a softer ride in the rear to absorb the bumps? Is that what I would expect if I fitted subs? (or, like you bought the R version)

Would much appreciate your advice. Cheers

On 11/15/2019 at 2:23 PM, Moonlover said:

Thanks for this info. It may seem like a naive question, but I've not encountered sub tanks before, hence the topic. So may I ask what difference do they make?

I live out in the sticks and do encounter some rough roads at times, so I would appreciate a softer ride in the rear to absorb the bumps? Is that what I would expect if I fitted subs? (or, like you bought the R version)

Would much appreciate your advice. Cheers

for me the sub tanks were more important than the abs ...... also at the time the R model had matching blue wheels which i liked.....

you can either go R model - or ABS model and bung on a set of YSS shocks or the original R model shocks from Yamaha - depends on budget and what you feel is best for you.....

Archived