Based in Khon Kaen need visa for a few months

In previous years I got a letter from the Bristish embassy and otained a 12 month O retirement visa and that can no longer be done. Instead they offer a visa if you have B400k in the bank for 2 months, which I don't have, or a big "fee". I understand I can get a 60 day visa in Vientiane, which can be extended in Khon Kaen for 30 days.

Are there any other alternatives and is the Laos route straightfoward, also can it be repeated? My Current O visa runs out 23rd December, so plan on going early.

Afaik Vientiane doesn't issue tourist visas anymore after you've spent a few months in Thailand in recent times, so you will probably not get one there.

You could get a visa exempt (30 days) by just crossing the border and comming back and an extension (30 days). Because you would get the first one this year, you could still get another two next year at a land border. This would allow you about a further 180 days in Thailand.

After you have used these up your choices are very limited, you should safe some money to get a retirement extension if you plan to continue staying in Thailand.

14 minutes ago, AllanB said:

Instead they offer a visa if you have B400k in the bank for 2 months

For an extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon retirement you need 800k baht or proof of 65 baht income by showing transfers into the a Thai bank account from abroad.

The 400k baht is for an extension based upon marriage. If married to a Thai you could get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage at Savannakhet without financial proof.

1 hour ago, AllanB said:

Are there any other alternatives and is the Laos route straightfoward, also can it be repeated? My Current O visa runs out 23rd December, so plan on going early.

You should be able to get a Single Entry Tourist Visa in Vientiane, but you need to make an appointment. It will give you 60 days on entry that can be extended 30 days. 

You might be able to repeat this once or twice but embassies/consulates are clamping down on the issue of back to back (repeat) visas for tourism.

Appointments are not required at Savannakhet.

Vientiane appointment link here: https://thaivisavientiane.com

Edited by elviajero