How to get a Lao Business Visa?

Hi. I am looking to get a business visa in order to open a bank account in Laos and also just to have a longer stay beyond a month in Lao. Have searched for information but I haven't been able to find out how might  go about it.  I wonder, do I need to go to a Laos Consulate or Visa agent outside of Laos borders? What kind of prices I wonder too. And how much paperwork required or documents to submit. Sponsor? I can't seem to find that. I don't have a sponsoring company nor an employer in Laos and would be going there freelance. Maybe impossible to get business visa? Thanks for any direction or information

The correct way to obtain a business visa in Laos would be to either open a business or to go to work for a company. Either way is not easy, the Lao government conducts frequent audits of businesses, especially foreign owned businesses, and if the business does not show enough assets or profit on the books it will be shut down. Working for someone in Laos generally means teaching, and obtaining a visa that way is not all that easy either, as the paperwork the school has to file is extensive and time consuming.

In the past well-off or well connected companies in Laos have been known to "sell" their foreign business visas (they are allotted a certain amount each year). The Government may have closed the loopholes that made that possible, not sure.

Archived