Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

It could be one of those pink IDs handed out to foreigners. It seems to vary from district to district as to whether they will issue them. May need to get a yellow house registration first though. Not really anything afoot as Immigration already have your address so it is not as if it is a way of keeping watch on all those sneaky foreigners. 

Make you right there Gary.

TBH, I think it's aimed more at the Laos ladies. There are three in our village (one form Burma also). Maybe it's an amnesty, or a way of keeping tabs!

Another nice round up Owl.

Healthy away win for Leeds, a little help with the red card shortly after half time but we’ll take it, the faith is well and truly kept Owl ????.

I tried to get the yellow book, which leads to the pink non-Thai ID card, shortly after moving to this house. Met with the usual run around and gave up after getting the distinct impression that the headman at the Amphur was taking the p1ss ( long story, not for this thread ). I don’t object to an ID card if it makes things easier here, but as usual it’s location dependant.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bannork said:

This rain in March is unprecedented Owl. Usually March is scorching hot with occasional whirlwind thunderstorms. So far, so good, but of course plenty of time to revert to type.

Had a problem at the weekend, the ignition key in the ageing but wonderfully performing pickup wouldn't turn. Couldn't start the old girl.

Went to the locksmith opposite the hospital in the daughter's car, brought him back to our village, he declared the key had eroded over several years' use. Within an hour he produced another and a substitute key that started her up.

Cost 1.000 baht. Good money for the locksmith but, hey, he's essential. Up the creek without him 

The brother-in-law and a neighbour liberated some honey today from the hive of its residents. They were not happy but a burning old papaya trunk saw them off.

IMG_20220321_165423.jpg

IMG_20220321_165502.jpg

IMG_20220321_165429.jpg

IMG_20220321_170017.jpg

You are right about March this year Bannork. Although not masses of rain in our parts, I'd have settled for what we have got at the start. 

Had a sour experience with keys a few years back. The DinL had started at the 'Vocational College' opposite the prison in Udon. We had found a room close by that she, and her mum, liked, and I paid the room lady accordingly. She also had use of the motor bike. I bought her a nice crash helmet for about 1000 Baht.

Mrs Owl got a call from Nan saying that the m/c wouldn't start. We went to visit. I had a spare key with me.and found the m/c outside the block. I thought I'd try to get it going. Couldn't get the key very far in. When she (Nan) finally showed, we got the story. She had lost the key, and some friend or other, had driven a screwdriver into the lock to try to get ignition. Of course it didn't work. Put the m/c in the pick-up and took it back to Ban Dung. Had a new key unit fitted. About 1200 Baht if I can recall. Even now - as the m/c sits outside the house 11 years later - it has two keys; one for the ignition and one to lift the seat for juice. Never saw the crash helmet again.

Then she moved on to a hotel/room near Nong Bua. What a calamity that was! There is more, much more with the traumas of my time in Isaan. Later.

Honey; yum yum! Great pics.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Disappointed Owl. No mention of the Owls again. If you're not careful i'll be asking for an update of the pump project.????

Dear me! Left out the footy roundup. Put it in but somehow knocked it out.

Footy roundup.

Thailand won as did England. The Owls eventually got the win but in the first half were not at their best. Italy failed to qualify for the next World Cup. Heroes - or maybe villains - were North Macedonia.

Sorry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Dear me! Left out the footy roundup. Put it in but somehow knocked it out.

Footy roundup.

Thailand won as did England. The Owls eventually got the win but in the first half were not at their best. Italy failed to qualify for the next World Cup. Heroes - or maybe villains - were North Macedonia.

Sorry.

4-1 really flattered us to be honest Owl and Cheltenham were unlucky not to get it back to 2-2. Anything could have happened then.

• Like 1

Since the last Owl Log Thailand have won again. This time Suriname were the fodder. Are our beloved Thai footy team improving; or is the opposition just rubbish?

Just what is going on with the England team's strip?

strip.png.1bba95ccb39135b21a559a39dcb2b4df.png

England's colours are white and red. Don't want them playing in blue! Scotland play in blue. Could you imagine the reaction if Liverpool ran out at Anfield in blue. Mass walk out,

OK. A colour clash away might be an excuse; but not at home surely. If I was in England I'd be the first on the mass protest over this.

On 3/28/2022 at 9:27 AM, owl sees all said:

Since the last Owl Log Thailand have won again. This time Suriname were the fodder. Are our beloved Thai footy team improving; or is the opposition just rubbish?

Hopefully the “ adult “ team are better than the under 23’s ?

Watched them play Qatar the other day and it wasn’t too impressive, they are playing Iraq right now and it’s a pretty poor show from both sides !!

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 7:12 AM, bannork said:

When I was a youngster, we used to laugh at the grannies at the bus stop making small talk about the weather:

' Bit parky this morning, Madge.'

' I had to put a cardie on, should be brighter later, though '

Nowadays, I bet people don't even talk at bus stops, all buried in their phones 

However, what I wanted to say or rather, confess to, is I have become like those neighborhood grannies( hello Ethel wherever you are now). 

90% of my conversations with Owl here revolve around our current weather!

And so it is today, Owl. Wasn't March extraordinary, I've never seen so much rain in March, and the temperatures, apart from a few sweltering days, it was all very pleasant. And now we've entered April it's almost winter again!

What's going on? Is this the climate change we've been forewarned about?

And how about the upcoming WW3 as promised by the lonely madman in the Kremlin? How's that gonna affect the climate?

Oh well, back to the farm. I'm gonna replace some underperforming banana trees, sickly due to fungus infections, with some lime, durian and maprang saplings.

I think farmers depend on the weather so much that mot other stuff isn't worth talking about. Last year the weather (talking about it like it was some mystical entity wealding a wand) ruined the rice yealds. A couple of years back, there was early promise of rain and the rice growers got stuck in around May time, only to have to start again after a month without a drop.

Farmers have realised that water, that can be traditionally relied on cannot not be taken for granted. Last year in Udon Thani Province, the rainfall was just 55cm. When I first arrived here it was well over 100cm year after year.

I have noticed in recent times is the lack of 'monsoon' type rain, where is starts in early afternoon after a scorching morning, and simply falls non-stop for a couple of hours.

There have been at least 5 new ponds dug out since November in our small area to help solve the  water problem. Found a new on Thursday.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I'm definitely getting taller. Our bathroom door is 6 foot 3 inches high. For years I could just walk into the bathroom (barefoot) without giving it a second thought. Recently I'm hitting the top of my head. Could this be connected to the long arm hairs I'm wondering?

Did you get that cracked floor re-tiled?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Did you get that cracked floor re-tiled?

Yes CL. All sorted.

I used to do everything myself, but stopped working off of ladders a year or so ago.

As I'm getting older I do find some things too chalanging. Climbing those Yang Na trees would be out of the question. If I was back in Dagenham, the annual Xmax Day swim across to Kent from Dagenaham Dock jetty would be a 'no no' too. Even when I last did it I caught the ferry back. The tide was too strong. Although some toughies did manage the two-way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Could that be the reason why the bathroom doorway is shorter.

Talking of long body hairs, some of my chest hairs (all grey now) are 3+ inches long. I put it down to lack of horizontal exercise.

No! I'm getting taller. Just measured myself; 1-92. I was considerably shorter when younger. I put it down to food, water and lack of exercise. Maybe climate change too; as Mildred says.

Ah yes! Chest hairs. They are longer than a lot of other body hair. But these arm hairs are exceptional. I'll get some pics done and post.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 2

Just a bit more on this growing taller malarkey. For the last couple of months I've been taking 500 mg of Magnesium a day.

I hurt my hip when on exercise with special forces in the desert. It had been playing me up bad the last couple of years. To the point - in February - where I couldn't lift my left knee higher than a couple of inches. The Magnesium has eased it about 80% I'd say. Now I can at least put on a pair of shorts without sitting down.

Can't think of anything else that could do it.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Yep, I checked the final score just as I was going to bed, not a happy bunny, not a big footie fan but I do like to see my home team doing well, how many games left this season ? Anyone know ? 

Another 6 for Fulham .