Prescription Medicine in Thailand

Steve80

I will be emigrating from the UK to Thailand next year on a Elite Visa.

I am a generally healthy 40 year old (will be 41 by then) and have had a single quote for medical insurance

I have a Hiatus Hernia and I take prescription Medication for this. I also suffer the occasional migraine and again take a special medication on prescription.

I have also had Kidney Stones in the past, which is hereditary in my family.

I have been told I can not be insured for existing conditions, but have asked if it is possible still to get the prescription medications I need for these and cant seem to get a straight reply.

Can you get Prescription Medication in Thailand or can you only buy over the counter?

It would also be interesting to know if any providers can insure on existing conditions.  

I don't really understand the question "Can you get Prescription Medication in Thailand or can you only buy over the counter?.  You can get both but what is a prescription medication in the UK usually is not in Thailand.

These types of  medications do not require a prescription in Thailand. You can buy them over the counter.

The medications for your stomach may have an  inexpensive local generic equivalent. Please indicate the name of what you take exactly.

The migraine medication will likely have to be imported so more costly.  Also some of the newer ones aren't available here yet. Again, please specify the drug.

Re insurance I suggest you work through a broker. Some options to ask about are David Shield, April and Cigna Global, in no special order.

From what you say of your history I think you can get a policy but likely with some exclusions. Outpatient care here is affordable, most people (when not bound by Immigration rules that make no sense! But on Elite visa you aren't) opt for inpatient only policies, but make sure it is one that cover day surgery, and outpatient cancer treatment and outpatient dialysis (most international expat policies do). 

If the one quote you got included outpatient ask for another without it. Premium will be significantly lower.

In the UK I pay £10 each month (about 390 Baht) for all the medication I need.

I get 12 Sumatriptan tablets each month and 60 Omiprazole tablets, although they want to try me on a different medication for the hernia I do not know the name of yet. I am not on any medication for the Kidney Stones as none is known to exist and depite having them three times over the years they refuse regular xray checkups in the UK.

The quote I got from Pacific Cross through here came to THB 56,521 for full cover (Platinum) for the first year with deductions for excess and renewals, and also included dental but not the existing conditions.

That is a very high premium for a 49 year old. You can get good cover for less. As explained you really don't need outpatient cover and it usually costs more than it is worth to include it.

Omeprazole is dirt cheap here. There is also a local brand of sumatriptan.

You'll need to be very careful re the kidney stone here as in this climate it is easy to dehydrate and that's a risk factor for stones.

• Like 1