Phuket airport suffers blackout as truck slams power pole, flights not affected

webfact

Phuket airport suffers blackout as truck slams power pole, flights not affected

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1574411688_1-org.jpg

The truck driver, 29-year-old Sarut Chosagun, survived the heavy impact, and has been taken to Thalang Hospital. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Phuket International Airport was left without mains power supply this afternoon after a 10-wheeled truck slammed into a power pole on Thepkrasattri Rd in Mai Khao at about 2pm today (Nov 22).

Phuket Provincial Electricity Authority (PPEA) workers were forced to shut down power supply to the area so that workers could safely carry out repairs as quickly as possible, an officer at the PPEA Thalang office told The Phuket News.

As the pole hit by the truck carried 115kV mains supply cables, the move to shut down the power supply affected a huge area in Mai Khao, as well Sakoo, Thepkasattri and Phuket airport, the officer said.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-airport-suffers-blackout-as-truck-slams-power-pole-flights-not-affected-73717.php#Eloyas4LC4QPZmZV.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-11-22

22 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Until those power lines are dug down, this is gonna be repeated over and over, can't change the drivers behaviour here, that's for sure.

Well i have never seen an attempt to make it safer, the police does nothing at all....

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Flights not affected ,until tonight when there will be no landing

lights,!, PPEA better crack on.

If the kernel operations of the airport were down (air traffic control/radar/tower, instrument approach etc.), NO flight would have landed/departed. Airport closed.

No unusual delays this afternoon.

So the backup power worked.

A real disaster happened a few years ago when power went down at Suvarnabhumi AND the backup power failed.

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

No stupid excuses from the driver,he must be in a bad way.

Flights not affected ,until tonight when there will be no landing

lights,!, PPEA better crack on.

regards worgeordie

Can't believe a major airport that does not have back-up electric generators for emergency lighting at least!

43 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Can't believe a major airport that does not have back-up electric generators for emergency lighting at least!

Of course they have back-up power, including for landing lights when required.

Flights weren't affected.

18 hours ago, fruitman said:

Well i have never seen an attempt to make it safer, the police does nothing at all....

Wrong wrong wrong, i can confirm with my own eyes a police patrol car with 2s and reds making safe passage for a coach !! Bringing KK to a standstill but safe transit for VIP coach, plenty of police at junctions could do with them everyday to stop the yellow box stupidity.

44 minutes ago, Almer said:

Wrong wrong wrong, i can confirm with my own eyes a police patrol car with 2s and reds making safe passage for a coach !! Bringing KK to a standstill but safe transit for VIP coach, plenty of police at junctions could do with them everyday to stop the yellow box stupidity.

Well i see that everday...somebody i'm not allowed to write about lives close here, the police is always along the road waiting to block it totally for her....

On 11/24/2019 at 7:23 AM, Geoffggi said:

And the reason the lorry crashed into the post was.....???

Pick one:

Brakes failed

Other mechanical failure

Was raining

Road curved

Fell asleep

Dropped phone on floor

Road design

Drunk/drugged

Incompetent

several of the above.

Archived