Making Windows 10 look like Windows 7.

KhunHeineken

7 hours ago, chrisinth said:

let alone emulate the GUI of an unsupported operating system.

Huh? The menu paradigm used by Win 7 and Open Shell is the same as that used by several common Linux desktop environments including Xfce, Mate, Cinnamon, KDE, LXDE, and Budgie--all of which are supported for use on various supported Linux distributions. That's 'cause it's so convenient. Open Shell is also supported on Win 10 by "geordie;" you can visit the homepage for latest news and join the discussion forum if you have issues. It's about the same as with any other little utility. If I say I'm using an emulation of Xfce, would that make you more comfortable? I used to use bblean on XP (that was fun and my XP really flew!) and then a third party theme on Win 7 and a few other little things that made it much more palatable. ???? 

So I wonder why, if you prefer it, you shouldn't use it? "Tiles" are Win 8 - 10 designed with tablets, phones, and touchscreens in mind. Seems to me the relevant question is, why feel you must emulate the inconvenient GUI of a tablet on your desktop computer? Love of conformity? Religious orthodoxy, superstition? 'Cause nothing seems to incense our resident authorities more than messin' with that sacred Win 10 menu. Reminds me of that old song by Elvis:

Do anything that you want to do,

But uh-uh,
Honey, lay off of my shoes!
Don't you step on my blue suede shoes.
You can do anything

But lay off of my blue suede shoes.

On 2/13/2020 at 3:41 PM, Eindhoven said:

Sorry, but I'm not interested in wasting time discussing a redundant subject.

I read the first paragraph.

Obviously I bypassed Windows 8 because Windows 7 was still supported.

Now we are with with Windows 10. 

I don't have the hoarder's need to cling on to the past.

Reminds me of the hordes of girls trying to look like something else using plastic surgery and ending up looking like something out of Frankenstein's monster.

What build number is Windows 10 up to?

It's probably Windows 10 Service Pack 5 by now, or it could easily be called Windows 15.  

It's Microsoft's way of getting around the fact that they sometimes release a crappy OS.  Just keep the name Windows 10, but release new builds of it.  ????

Nothing wrong with hoarding  a good OS, whilst it's still supported. 

18 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

What build number is Windows 10 up to?

It's probably Windows 10 Service Pack 5 by now, or it could easily be called Windows 15.  

It's Microsoft's way of getting around the fact that they sometimes release a crappy OS.  Just keep the name Windows 10, but release new builds of it.  ????

Nothing wrong with hoarding  a good OS, whilst it's still supported. 

It's just you posting about things that you do not understand. 

Since you have a lot of time of your hands, you can take the time to learn about them.

To put it simply, use this car analogy: Windows 7 was like loving your old car and customising it as best you could. Windows 10 obviates the need to buy a new car, as new features and being added, improved and sometimes taken away.

The problem is with those who like things to stay the same. Sometimes obsessively so.

Are you still using a Nokia 2G mobile phone? Unlikely. We move with the times.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 6:40 PM, Eindhoven said:

It's just you posting about things that you do not understand. 

Since you have a lot of time of your hands, you can take the time to learn about them.

To put it simply, use this car analogy: Windows 7 was like loving your old car and customising it as best you could. Windows 10 obviates the need to buy a new car, as new features and being added, improved and sometimes taken away.

The problem is with those who like things to stay the same. Sometimes obsessively so.

Are you still using a Nokia 2G mobile phone? Unlikely. We move with the times.

Using the car analogy, I found Windows 10 was more about the road the car was driven on (navigation) rather than the car itself.  I am still using the same hardware (car) it was driving it (finding where I wanted to go in the software) that was using a different route.

Yes, things like the tiles I did not like.  Should we all be like sheep, and follow Microsoft off a cliff? 

Windows 8 was different to Windows 7, but you skipped Windows 8.  Why didn't you feel the need to move to Windows 8, after all, it was a new "car." 

Continuing on with the car analogy, what's wrong with caring about performance (moving to Windows 10) whilst not caring about appearance (staying with Windows 7) 

7 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Using the car analogy, I found Windows 10 was more about the road the car was driven on (navigation) rather than the car itself.  I am still using the same hardware (car) it was driving it (finding where I wanted to go in the software) that was using a different route.

Yes, things like the tiles I did not like.  Should we all be like sheep, and follow Microsoft off a cliff? 

Windows 8 was different to Windows 7, but you skipped Windows 8.  Why didn't you feel the need to move to Windows 8, after all, it was a new "car." 

Continuing on with the car analogy, what's wrong with caring about performance (moving to Windows 10) whilst not caring about appearance (staying with Windows 7) 

If it's a hobby that you enjoy, then why not?

• 2 weeks later...

Since migrating to Windows 10, I haven't liked the Windows 10 calculator.

Recently, I searched for a third party calculator and discovered you can get the old Windows 7 and Windows 8 calculator back.

There were many different websites offering the old calculator,  with many downloads of it.  I just picked this one and it works fine. 

See the below link:

https://winaero.com/blog/get-calculator-from-windows-8-and-windows-7-in-windows-10/

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like the email notifications on the lock page, and also the side bar, in Windows 10.

I got ride of them on one machine.  I used the same change of settings on another machine but can't get rid of the email notifications for that machine.

Any ideas?   

22 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I don't like the email notifications on the lock page, and also the side bar, in Windows 10.

I got ride of them on one machine.  I used the same change of settings on another machine but can't get rid of the email notifications for that machine.

Any ideas?   

Love the mystery. Yeah, never reveal exactly what settings you've already tried! Let people just repeat them for you so that you can say you already tried that. SO ahead of the curve.

Well, did you look in the Settings? https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/turn-notification-system-sounds-windows-10

You get email notifications because you didn't use a Local account when you installed Windows 10. So likely you sign into a Microsoft account.

These are all things I would have guided you through had you not insisted on doing it your way...

20 hours ago, BigStar said:

Love the mystery. Yeah, never reveal exactly what settings you've already tried! Let people just repeat them for you so that you can say you already tried that. SO ahead of the curve.

Well, did you look in the Settings? https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/turn-notification-system-sounds-windows-10

Thanks for the reply.

I am / was actually having problems with the Thaivisa website.  I've been messaging a moderator, who is in contact with Support, so I kept my post brief.  The issue with TV has nothing to do with the email notifications. 

I will check out the link you sent me.  

15 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

You get email notifications because you didn't use a Local account when you installed Windows 10. So likely you sign into a Microsoft account.

These are all things I would have guided you through had you not insisted on doing it your way...

From memory, yes, I used a microsoft account.  I am not sure why I installed Windows 10 that way, maybe because microsoft prompted me to do so.  

4 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

From memory, yes, I used a microsoft account.  I am not sure why I installed Windows 10 that way, maybe because microsoft prompted me to do so.  

Yes, the installers does so. You needed to know how to bypass this. If you took advice at the time, you would have avoided many of the things that you are having to tweak now.

You can still go in to change from a Microsoft account to a local account, as in Windows 7...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 11:32 AM, Eindhoven said:

Yes, the installers does so. You needed to know how to bypass this. If you took advice at the time, you would have avoided many of the things that you are having to tweak now.

You can still go in to change from a Microsoft account to a local account, as in Windows 7...

Thanks.  I will give it a try.

On 4/26/2020 at 2:26 PM, BigStar said:

Not necessarily. For example, on Windows 7 you had greater choice about updates and you even got to keep your files after an update.

Latest Windows 10 update deleting files, causes ‘Blue Screen of Death’

My computer was running slow a while ago.  Restarted it, twice.  Restarted my modem and speed tested the internet.  Computer still running slow.  Turned out to be Windows Updates running in the background.

With Windows 7, you had more choice of what to update, and when to update. 

The information in your link doesn't instill much confidence. 

With Windows 10 apparently being the last version of Windows, it looks like Windows 10 Updates will be the gift that just keeps giving.  

8 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

My computer was running slow a while ago.  Restarted it, twice.  Restarted my modem and speed tested the internet.  Computer still running slow.  Turned out to be Windows Updates running in the background.

With Windows 10 apparently being the last version of Windows, it looks like Windows 10 Updates will be the gift that just keeps giving.  

One of the worst things about 10, the updates. Fortunately the big problems usually happen to small minority of users. No fun if you're in that minority, though.

wayofpain.jpg.b4e6983dc19ccde711031dd14010da0b.jpg

• Confused 1

On 5/9/2020 at 4:49 AM, KhunHeineken said:

You did the whole thing back to front. SSD should have been fitted during the upgrade.

That way, you don't notice the effect of Windows Updates in day to day use.

But you are determined to do it your way and then complain about how things are working out for you.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 11:08 AM, Eindhoven said:

You did the whole thing back to front. SSD should have been fitted during the upgrade.

That way, you don't notice the effect of Windows Updates in day to day use.

But you are determined to do it your way and then complain about how things are working out for you.

As I said, I thought I would get some experience with the software first, then look at a hardware upgrade. 

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

As I said, I thought I would get some experience with the software first, then look at a hardware upgrade. 

Why? All that occurred is that your experience was tainted by having <deleted> hardware and a sub optimal install.

18 hours ago, n00dle said:

Been using classic shell for years, set up once forgot it is there.

I ended up opting for Open Shell, which was supposed to be a follow on from Classic Shell, which was apparently going to be discontinued, yet is still working fine for many. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 8:12 AM, KhunHeineken said:

Windows 7 has served me well over the years, and even though I am not an IT guru, I have come to learn how to fix minor issues with it, when they have come up.

So this is why you want Win10 to look like Win7 and still posting about it 6 months later? In that time you could have just learnt WIn10 couldn't you, which is far better and easier to use anyway. Forget Win7, it's history.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 11:35 AM, MJKT2014 said:

So this is why you want Win10 to look like Win7 and still posting about it 6 months later? In that time you could have just learnt WIn10 couldn't you, which is far better and easier to use anyway. Forget Win7, it's history.

Not all new products are better than their predecessor.  Many times big companies get it wrong.  Example, Samsung with their exploding battery model phone.  

As for Microsoft software, Windows Vista was a failure, and Windows 8 was a failure.  

There was such a global uproar when the Start icon went missing that Microsoft release Windows 8.1 which had a Start icon.  How developers at Microsoft, who are on big money, misread consumers, worldwide, is the subject for another thread, but it happened.

Sometimes, a downgrade is and upgrade.  I am sure you have heard this term when it comes to software, and some hardware.  

What's wrong with saying Microsoft got it right with the Windows 7 UI and give credit where it's due?  The millions of Classic Shell downloads shows there is still big support for the Windows 7 UI. I remember moving from XP to Vista, which quickly became Windows 7, and thinking Windows 7 was great compared to XP.  I don't remember a big call for Classic Shell for people to have the XP UI because they didn't like the Vista or 7 UI.

For me, I never understood the need to make a desktop and a laptop UI look like a mobile phone, with tiles and apps.  I never liked it from the start, and still don't like it.    

I understand that behind the UI Windows 10 may be doing things better than Windows 7, but it would have been good at install if Microsoft allowed the licence holder to chose the style of UI, with a choice between a more classic Windows 7 UI or the new Windows 10 style UI, whilst maintaining the Windows 10 O/S.  After all, why direct millions of your customers towards 3rd Party programs like Classic Shell?