Hot Wings?

BlackArtemis

So lately I have been really wanting some American styled hot wings, nothing like what the chain restaurants try to pass off. Is there any place i can find them? I tried the search function and it seems that maybe the pirates cove has them??? Anyone try them?

thanks a bunch! :o

So lately I have been really wanting some American styled hot wings, nothing like what the chain restaurants try to pass off. Is there any place i can find them? I tried the search function and it seems that maybe the pirates cove has them??? Anyone try them?

The Dukes do good buffalo wings.80f44e1.gif369cce51.gif

My wife and I were just talking about wiings in LOS.

I make some mean wings hear in the states , but when we go to thailand we never see them advertised any where. She tells me when we retire in LOS that I should open up a wing place.

Padkapow Guy's

Hot wings

It has a nice ring to it , but I still have a ways to go before I can retire.

Thai chickens do not have alot of meat on them so finding good wings might be hard.

PKG

I am fairly sure but willing to be corrected on this but I think Chiang Mai Saloon do wings but they only have chickens not buffalos :D

Maybe this is the next business opportunity for Mike - he is from New Jersey which isn't far from Buffalo

"Mikes Pizza, Wings, Ribs, and Burgers"

Strewth, you must have a bl00dy sweet tooth.

Seemed like their recipe was 85% pure sugar, and that's taking the chicken into account too.

The only time I ever tasted them, as part of one of their mixed platters, I had to ask to take them home to wash the sugar off before I could eat them.

Beware if you are diabetic, (I'm not). These wings are set to kill you.

I have had good, tasty, spicy wings twice in Chiang Mai. Both places are now unfortunately closed, but I too hope to find some again.

I wish I could comment here, but from past experience, it is more than my life is worth.

Oh I hate it when people do that because then I have to ask "why is it worth more than your life?" and then the person has to explain it when they could have done it in the first place :o

Let me guesss:

1) you wonder why people don't eat the edible parts of the chicken and leave the wings for the cat?

2) you don't want to get into a Dukes/CM Saloon barroom brawl with the others on this forum?

3) some other reason?

CB

1) you wonder why people don't eat the edible parts of the chicken and leave the wings for the cat?

actually it's the feet and head for the cat ,

come on the war is over , you don't gotta eat tripe anymore either ............. :o

like the deal with the fish though , your welcome to the head , I'll have the rest . :D

I wish I could comment here, but from past experience, it is more than my life is worth.

Oh I hate it when people do that because then I have to ask "why is it worth more than your life?" and then the person has to explain it when they could have done it in the first place :o

Let me guesss:

2) you don't want to get into a Dukes/CM Saloon barroom brawl with the others on this forum?

3) some other reason?

CB

No. 3 gets it in one!

In a thread aimed at beatifying Dukes and all who offer obeisance before the place, I once dared to post that I did not enjoy certain dishes there.

I gave reasons why and posted suggestions showing how to make improvements.

I was almost flamed off the board with a number of Dukes fans and friends of the owner posting acute vitriol aimed at myself personally. An experience I found highly unpleasant and have since, (mostly,) not taken part in any review threads unless I can be entirely complimentary to the business concerned.

Anyway, I stand by my earlier posts on the subject and must say here that I found the wings themselves okay, but the sauce on them was far too sweet for my taste.

I could give an alternative recipe for the sauce, but judging by past experience, that does not appear to be appreciated, so I shall hold off and keep it to myself. Maybe I should serve wings again at some later date in my own enterprise.

Now, let's see if TOT will allow me to post this reply.

Buffalo wings- now there's a subject you can really sink your teeth into (ouch!).

I make my own, but HERESY I use the nice plump drumlets. Actually some meat there. And LOTS of Tabasco sauce. Did I say lots- yeah.

When perfectly cooked, and the Tabasco fumes wafting off make one's eyes water at ten paces, dredge sloooowly through some really good "ranch" style dressing. Follow with quaff of ice cold amber beverage. Repeat. Then repeat...ah, you get the picture.....

I am fairly sure but willing to be corrected on this but I think Chiang Mai Saloon do wings but they only have chickens not buffalos :D

Maybe this is the next business opportunity for Mike - he is from New Jersey which isn't far from Buffalo

"Mikes Pizza, Wings, Ribs, and Burgers"

Can confirm - Chiang Mai Saloon has Buffalo/Chicken wings - tasty too :D

CB

Let me guesss:

3) some other reason?

CB

No. 3 gets it in one!

In a thread aimed at beatifying Dukes and all who offer obeisance before the place, I once dared to post that I did not enjoy certain dishes there.

I gave reasons why and posted suggestions showing how to make improvements.

I was almost flamed off the board with a number of Dukes fans and friends of the owner posting acute vitriol aimed at myself personally. An experience I found highly unpleasant and have since, (mostly,) not taken part in any review threads unless I can be entirely complimentary to the business concerned.

Anyway, I stand by my earlier posts on the subject and must say here that I found the wings themselves okay, but the sauce on them was far too sweet for my taste.

I could give an alternative recipe for the sauce, but judging by past experience, that does not appear to be appreciated, so I shall hold off and keep it to myself. Maybe I should serve wings again at some later date in my own enterprise.

Now, let's see if TOT will allow me to post this reply.

Ah so it was actually option number two - the Dukes v CM Saloon bar brawl.

I have not eaten the Dukes version of wings but have eaten the ones at CM saloon - thought they were good but to be honest I prefer my own recipe involving low salt soy sauce, honey, garlic, and chili. Stir fry wings until brown and pretty well cooked completely. Mix up a sauce with the ingredients above - use your own combination to get the right combination of sweet and sour, salt and spicy. I simmer in the wok until the sauce has completely reduced to a sticky consistency and turned the wings black. Serve and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. I use the low salt version of soy because by simmering off the water it concentrates the salt content and it can become overbearing. The other option is to use the Indonesian/Malay sticky version and try variations. The third version is the one I like which is to bbq them on a charcoal brazier and paint the marinade constantly over them until it sticks and turns black - eee luvely with a beer.

Like to read your version and am sure (yeah right) that the maturity of the forum members will allow discent and divergence in taste preferences.

CB

I have not eaten the Dukes version of wings but have eaten the ones at CM saloon - thought they were good but to be honest I prefer my own recipe involving low salt soy sauce, honey, garlic, and chili. Stir fry wings until brown and pretty well cooked completely. Mix up a sauce with the ingredients above - use your own combination to get the right combination of sweet and sour, salt and spicy. I simmer in the wok until the sauce has completely reduced to a sticky consistency and turned the wings black. Serve and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. I use the low salt version of soy because by simmering off the water it concentrates the salt content and it can become overbearing. The other option is to use the Indonesian/Malay sticky version and try variations. The third version is the one I like which is to bbq them on a charcoal brazier and paint the marinade constantly over them until it sticks and turns black - eee luvely with a beer.

Like to read your version and am sure (yeah right) that the maturity of the forum members will allow discent and divergence in taste preferences.

CB

My version is not too dissimilar to yours, but I like to toast some spices, (black peppercorns, a couple of allspice berries, pinch of cumin, dried chilli and a centimetre or so of cinnamon,) grind them then pound with garlic and some fresh, peeled chillies to make a paste. (To peel chillies. hold over a hot barbecue or a flame until they are blackened all over. Drop into cold water and then just rub the skins off. Wear gloves for this operation or you WILL regret it later.!)

Take some light soy sauce, (I like Kikkoman brand the best,) heat gently and add honey, orange and lemon juice and some cider vinegar. Reduce to about 1/2 then stir in the garlic/spice paste and the zest from your lemons and oranges. Bend over the pan and enjoy the fragrance. Continue cooking until you have a thick coating consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Cook the wings in a small amount of oil until they are really crisp and golden, drain off the oil and pour in the sauce. Stir over heat until they are coated all over and really sticky. Serve with finger bowls to the side and large pitchers of ice cold beer or, better, frozen margueritas.

This version is ideal for a catering environment, because the sauce can be made in bulk and keeps forever.

I am not very familiar with hot wings, but I think that Mike gave me one when he was working out the recipe for one of his many restaurants. He practically forced me to eat it as I had already had a burrito - or something along those lines - but I did enjoy it.

I guess that I will be forced to do a taste test in the usual places. :o

Living in Texas :o far from upstate New York, I didn't know what buffalo wings were. I thought, "Bison don't fly. Even pigs don't fly, yet."

Too spicy. I came here to eat bland food. Even the chili con carne at the various Mike's places, and the beans and corn bread at He11's kitchen, are too spicy for me.

Strewth, you must have a bl00dy sweet tooth.

Seemed like their recipe was 85% pure sugar, and that's taking the chicken into account too.

The only time I ever tasted them, as part of one of their mixed platters, I had to ask to take them home to wash the sugar off before I could eat them.

Beware if you are diabetic, (I'm not). These wings are set to kill you.

I have had good, tasty, spicy wings twice in Chiang Mai. Both places are now unfortunately closed, but I too hope to find some again.

Duke's wings, 12 pieces for 75baht. yes i did count the pieces. too sweet .... i rather have them super spicy.

CB

My version is not too dissimilar to yours, but I like to toast some spices, (black peppercorns, a couple of allspice berries, pinch of cumin, dried chilli and a centimetre or so of cinnamon,) grind them then pound with garlic and some fresh, peeled chillies to make a paste. (To peel chillies. hold over a hot barbecue or a flame until they are blackened all over. Drop into cold water and then just rub the skins off. Wear gloves for this operation or you WILL regret it later.!)

Take some light soy sauce, (I like Kikkoman brand the best,) heat gently and add honey, orange and lemon juice and some cider vinegar. Reduce to about 1/2 then stir in the garlic/spice paste and the zest from your lemons and oranges. Bend over the pan and enjoy the fragrance. Continue cooking until you have a thick coating consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Cook the wings in a small amount of oil until they are really crisp and golden, drain off the oil and pour in the sauce. Stir over heat until they are coated all over and really sticky. Serve with finger bowls to the side and large pitchers of ice cold beer or, better, frozen margueritas.

This version is ideal for a catering environment, because the sauce can be made in bulk and keeps forever.

This is the difference between an amateur (me) and a professional (you) - mine is easy and quick - yours is going to taste much better. Thanks for posting it. I will give it a try and let you know wjhat I think.

Some time back I did a five day cooking class with an excellent teacher who lets the students choose what they want to make and then coordinates everyone doing different things at the same time. She had most of us sitting squat legged on the floor pounding out a curry paste with mortar and pestle - OK enquiring minds want to know - why do I have to make it on the floor? My wife CANNOT make a curry mix at the table and will do it in thirty seconds squatting down when it takes me a good 10 to do it almost as good. It can't be the noise because it sounds like she is breaking concrete with a jack hammer out there at dinner time. Must be one those life's little mysteries.

Anyway I digress, one of the guys on his first day cooking finished his mix and left the group to go to the bathroom. We weren't wearing gloves or shoes for that matter. While he was away our teacher mentioned with direct attention to the girls to be very careful to wash the hands with lime, salt, and water BEFORE going to the toilet. The guy came back having missed this sage advice and about 30 seconds later looked to be in some considerable distress. He had managed to burn his most sensitive member and NOTHING was helping him. Everyone offered various bits of useless information - soad it in coconut milk, plain milk, beer? but he ended up going to hospital where they apparently see this sort of injury on a regular basis. Strangely he didn't come back and we have no idea what happened to him.

Warning to all - plastic/latex gloves may look dorky but getting chilli oil on any exposed skin will cause pain - get it in the eyes by brushing back some hair and it can cause you to go blind. Get it on your tockley and it will ruin your holiday. It may give all your friends a lot of laughs but you won't be joining in at the time it happens. :o

Have fun

CB

Edited by Crow Boy

sounds great. where can we get some of these p1p ??? :o

The ingredients or the wings?

CB

The ingredients or the wings?

CB

CB, the wings. they sound really tasty. :D

They are one of the dishes on a sort of short list for a menu that might possibly be offered if I ever get it together to open another restaurant. Until then, why not try it yourself.

i first discovered wings on a business trip to buffalo many many years ago.

since then i have tried many places, made my own, and bought frozen.

none have been as good as the original, but i have discovered they all taste better with margaritas.

with these recipes, and a thai gf, i think i will try again.

thanks.

> Warning to all - plastic/latex gloves may look dorky but getting

> chilli oil on any exposed skin will cause pain

Tell me about it.. I once experienced that. Exceptionally unpleasant, actually a feeling of having burnt (by fire) your fingers, and the pain lasted several days. That was with some Mexican type chillies that I wanted to use to make a Nam Phrik Noom like chilly paste. But the hear of those was just insane. Ended up with something incredibly lethal. :o

Buffalo wings- now there's a subject you can really sink your teeth into (ouch!).

I make my own, but HERESY I use the nice plump drumlets. Actually some meat there. And LOTS of Tabasco sauce. Did I say lots- yeah.

When perfectly cooked, and the Tabasco fumes wafting off make one's eyes water at ten paces, dredge sloooowly through some really good "ranch" style dressing. Follow with quaff of ice cold amber beverage. Repeat. Then repeat...ah, you get the picture.....

You should be a writer!! Very descriptive and tempting. Im hungry....and I just ate!!

:o:D

But what the cripes are drumlets ?

In Amurican, chicken legs are "drumsticks". They sell small (from young poultry) legs called "drumlets".

I buy them up the soi at the Tesco-lotus Express by my apt.

On a side note, I just made up a batch of Austhaied's recipe for Blue Cheese Dressing to accompany same.... :o

But what the cripes are drumlets ?

In Amurican, chicken legs are "drumsticks". They sell small (from young poultry) legs called "drumlets".

I buy them up the soi at the Tesco-lotus Express by my apt.

On a side note, I just made up a batch of Austhaied's recipe for Blue Cheese Dressing to accompany same.... :o

In Oz we use cut of the lower part of the wing for well "wings" and use the upper part (single bone) for drumlets. This is a bit tricky to explain but easy to do - the meat on the upper "arm" has to be pushed back onto the "knobby end" the way to do this is to run a small utility knife around the bone where the flesh attaches to the bone then with the blade scrape it backwards. This makes a lump of meat that is bite size and tender - for catering purposes it is also cheap to make and a lot less messy - one bone - instead of having all the bits from the wing tips.

I am sure P1P can give you a much better description than I but it isn't hard to make them

CB

In Oz we use cut of the lower part of the wing for well "wings" and use the upper part (single bone) for drumlets. This is a bit tricky to explain but easy to do - the meat on the upper "arm" has to be pushed back onto the "knobby end" the way to do this is to run a small utility knife around the bone where the flesh attaches to the bone then with the blade scrape it backwards. This makes a lump of meat that is bite size and tender - for catering purposes it is also cheap to make and a lot less messy - one bone - instead of having all the bits from the wing tips.

A chicken wing comes in three parts, corresponding to a human upper arm, lower arm and hand. The hand has very little meat and is frequently discarded in cooking. The lower arm, the ulna and radius bones side by side is the one most frequently used in cooking cheap simple fare. The meat surrounding the humerus, the upper arm, is much thicker and similar to small leg drumsticks.

The meat is most tightly attached to the cartilage forming the joints between the bones. If you can detach from here, you will have no trouble removing the bones, leaving you with a tube of chicken meat.

When I last served chicken wings with the above sauce, we used to remove the humerus, ulna and radius bones, leaving only the phalanges in the pointed hand at the end. We used to then stuff the resulting tubes of flesh with a mixture of minced chicken and various mushrooms then formed them into the shape of unboned wings. They were then lightly steamed to half cook them and ensure they retained their shape.

The rest of the recipe was as above. Fry crispy in hot oil then coat in the sticky, spicy sauce for service.

Little bit different from the norm, but they can be eaten with normal impliments without getting your hands, face and shirt all sticky.

A chicken wing comes in three parts, corresponding to a human upper arm, lower arm and hand. The hand has very little meat and is frequently discarded in cooking. The lower arm, the ulna and radius bones side by side is the one most frequently used in cooking cheap simple fare. The meat surrounding the humerus, the upper arm, is much thicker and similar to small leg drumsticks.

The meat is most tightly attached to the cartilage forming the joints between the bones. If you can detach from here, you will have no trouble removing the bones, leaving you with a tube of chicken meat.

When I last served chicken wings with the above sauce, we used to remove the humerus, ulna and radius bones, leaving only the phalanges in the pointed hand at the end. We used to then stuff the resulting tubes of flesh with a mixture of minced chicken and various mushrooms then formed them into the shape of unboned wings. They were then lightly steamed to half cook them and ensure they retained their shape.

The rest of the recipe was as above. Fry crispy in hot oil then coat in the sticky, spicy sauce for service.

Little bit different from the norm, but they can be eaten with normal impliments without getting your hands, face and shirt all sticky.

See I knew you would come up with a better description than me - would have been easier to have written "p1p to the front desk please - customer enquiry on chicken drumlets"

:o

CB