The Koh Samui Bicycle Thread

Hello Samui-ites! This thread is for Permanent Residents, Long-Stayers, and any Visitors to the island.

(Respectfully, if you are not posting about Samui specifically, perhaps you could post in your own sub-Forum? Much appreciated and Cheers)

I am a daily cyclist, and I think that there are enough of us that it is time to create a permanent thread of all cycling related information on the island (we'll see if the numbers warrant...).

Buying a bike

• Some might have noticed that Racing World has shut down; it is disappointing to me as I bought my last two bikes there and liked being able to see/try what I was buying as opposed to ordering it and hoping for the best.
  • You can purchase a Thai bike at either Tesco or Big C, but I would only recommend that if it is for leisurely rides to the market and suchlike. If you are a more... serious cyclist, I would recommend better quality which, unfortunately, means more cost. Further, if you are relatively big/tall, a Thai bike will break quickly.
  • Order from Lazada (spelling?). 

Any other places to buy a bike on the island?

Any places to rent a bike on the island?

Bike Parts

• Tesco and Big C, but limited selection and limited quality.
  • Small shop approximately 100 M (towards Bophut) past the Mae Nam post office on the same side of the street. Hint: it looks more like a fishing shop than a bicycle shop. T.I.T. Note: there is no mechanic there.
  • Various bike mechanics: see below.

Any other places to buy bike parts on the island?

Bike Mechanic

• Small shop at Ring Road, Soi 2, Mae Nam (next door to 7-11). The owner knows his stuff, but lacks a "Get up and go!" attitude. Also a tad more expensive than it should be. Also, he sells refurbished, second-hand bikes and will order/assemble for you; I have never tried that.
  • Electric Bikes across from the Peace Hotel/Spa between Mae Nam/Bophut. They are the Electric Bike outlet, but they are good guys who work with bikes and have a full tool set; I have repaired things there a few times over the years. 
  • Small shop approximately 100 M past the PTT gas station in S Cheweng, across the street and towards Lamai. The guy is great, repairs all at a reasonable price, and sells second-hand, refurbished bikes. Further, he will order and put together a bike for you, but I haven't tried that. He will also order parts for you.

Any other bike mechanics on the island?

Rides/Courses

• I ride on the paved road between Bophut and the big hill just past Bang Po on the way to Nathon. I also ride pre-dawn to avoid traffic and heat.
  • Mountain biking trails?
  • Other rides?

Any other rides/Trails/Courses you like on the island?

So, Islanders... What say you? Where do you shop, repair, cycle, etc?

Any/all additions and/or corrections to the information posted above will be gratefully received.

Happy Trails!

I had a very nice mountain bike in the early 90s, bought in Malaysia, and sold that a few years later. Why? Even then it was no fun at all to ride it on the streets. No paths or whatever into the hills. Extremely steep. So only good paths were through the few palm tree forests which are not steep. Better trekking in the inside by feet. 

And that has not changed at all. Except much more traffic on the few street of this island. 

Archived