Mobile phone options

NewbieInBangkok

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm on prepaid, unlimited 4Mbs internet + unlimited free phone calls for 150bht/month with AIS.

What post paid account is cheaper than this, thanks.

That is a good deal.  I would do that right now.  Do you pay monthly?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wmlc said:

I will answer your question since some didn’t. If you have a work permit, you can get a post paid account. Post paid is cheaper than prepaid and has many advantages such as being able to use an Apple Watch not paired to your iPhone, unlimited data plans, better promotions, and often the big 3 will give you 50% of their packages if you switch from one to another. Hope that helps.

A friend of mine wanted to switch to one of the 200 Baht 10 Mbps unlimited plans since they cost a fraction of the postpaid contract she has. There is no way to get out of the one year contract we were told (DTAC). So she has to pay her expensive 30 GB limited package until September next year... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beggar said:

A friend of mine wanted to switch to one of the 200 Baht 10 Mbps unlimited plans since they cost a fraction of the postpaid contract she has. There is no way to get out of the one year contract we were told (DTAC). So she has to pay her expensive 30 GB limited package until September next year... 

Thais usually just stop paying, there doesn't seem to be any enforced penalty for breaking the contract.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

a AIS SIM card costs 50 baht. Period. put in your phone. download AIS app. log in with your phone number. choose package. can change at anytime. Pay with banking app, in the malls at AIS, many options.    

Also same for Dtac and True

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NewbieInBangkok said:

Thanks guys!  

Don't forget your passport. It's required when buying a starter package or subscription. Never buy a sim-card at the airport. You don't need a bank account to be able to top-up the phone. Just go to a 7/11 store. When having a bank account,you can top-up your phone there for free, or use the official phone app. There's one for every operator. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NewbieInBangkok said:

After getting advice from you guys and checking them out I’ll just wait to get a Sim after we get checked in at hotel as the shopping mall is across the street.  I do remember seeing long queues at the airport now you mention it.

Forget about getting a SIM at the airport, they are restricted.

Pick up a SIM at a local service centre for 50 baht. All networks at the moment have unlimited 4 Mbps & 10 Mbps for 150 & 200 baht per month respectively, on Prepay.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, moontang said:

duty free sells the liters..the stores will sell more 70 cl, and you hardly get any savings for buying large.  the Abso!ut seems to be commonly fake, and same for Johnnie walker...I am thinking 1000 THB for Tangerey Gin, but I am not a big gun drinker..seen the gilbets, too. Will let you know...can bring in 1 liter per person, and don't carry anyone else s, including your spouse.  biggest problem with airport SIM might be waiting in front of, behind, or with a tour bus full of chinese..but if it is empty and you got time..go for it..there is a bit of a registration process...can vary, and I haven't do e it in years, but they are going to want some info.

Just hand them your phone and passport and they do the rest. Got one (tourist sim I assume)at DMK a couple of years ago and as long as there is money on it it doesn't expire.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone!

So I will head to Central World or 1 of those shopping malls around there as I’m staying nearby and I’ll pick up a Sim.  

Good point about contract cancellation charges so I’ll stick with the top-up system. Sounds easier and more flexible than faffing with post-paid.

Cheers everyone for the advice!

We’re near Kumphawapi up in the NE and I go to the local AIS shop 

they have all different kinds of plans, I don’t use the phone for calls

unles I really have to mostly email and internet, 

Been four years it’s prepaid go in and a lady that seems like a manager knows what I want and when topping up gives me the 

best plan. Current plan is 3 months data 550 baht.

Works great go there once a Quarter. Can also use as phone which you’d top up separately and can do so at many small stores. 

Enjoy your stay

I know of only one fellow in Thailand who has a post-paid. I've had AIS prepaid for years. I bought a SIM for a buddy in the Chong Nonsi Skytrain station at an AIS kiosk. I assume it's the same as when I did it and must submit one's passport.

It's one of those ineffective laws. You buy the SIM, get onboard the train with buddy and hand the packet to him.

There's loads of package codes and sales. Install the AIS app and order whatever package you want at the time.

With the long term visas and WP, opening bank accounts should be easy enough. This opens the doors to a plethora of easier and better value opportunities, one being post-paid mobile packages. I prefer AIS, though I live in a newish soi with AIS fibre and I have a sim deal on the back of that. With a good promo deal it's way more bang for the buck than pre-paid here, though this would be fine for starting out. After I switched to a post-paid I got double the data for the same money. 

Regarding alcohol, the 2-5pm curfew period is obviously ridiculous, but it's easily circumvented - many pubs, bars, hotels and restaurants are licensed to serve all afternoon if you fancy an off peak tipple. As mentioned prices are very expensive for imported brands (whether beer, wine or liquor) due to the high taxation. but local brands are a lot less.