OA to O - how is this accomplished?

19 minutes ago, Canuck50 said:

I have a O-A extension based on retirement coming due soon and was refused a new extension without Thai health insurance. So I plan to switch to "O" either by a border run coming back Visa Exempt and converting at CW or just getting the "O" based on retirement either in Vientiane or Savannakhet. Questions are:

1. Do both these locations offer Non-Imm O based on retirement? I seem to recall reading that Vientiane will not anymore based on retirement.

2. Do I have to show police records check and/or medical certificate to qualify at these locations. I'm sure I could get a medical done locally but the records check from home country would be impossible remotely. 

3. Any other adjacent country Thai consulates recommended (to get the non-imm O) when travelling from Bangkok that might also offer some vacation attraction.

You can get a 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa based on retirement in Savannakhet in Laos or in Penang in Malaysia. Same requirements. No medical check or police record. That's for the O-A only. Here's a link:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/savannakhet/th/services/104407-Applying-for-Visa.html

22 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

Why not?  Silly attitude?   30K, is far less than leaving the country and going through the process?

I don't know your spending habits (maybe you only stay in 5 star resorts, fly business class and hire private limos) but some of us don't fancy flushing money down the toilet like that.  One can take a short vacation to a nearby embassy or consulate, see a nearby country that we have not yet been and get a Non-O for far less than 30k (flying, not riding in a death van with a meth crazed driver).

Good reputation or not, some of us don't use agents and never will... especially at that price!!

Silly attitude is being unfair. 

You do have to transfer 800 k baht to a Thai bank from overseas for a Non-O extension of stay and the transfer out of pocket costs will exceed 250 USA  dollars and up depending on how you transfer the money and the exchange rate you receive. The travel costs to an Asia country for a couple of days can be cheap. So the 30,000 baht or 1000 USA dollars for an agent could be more expensive than getting a Non-O in Asia and a extension of stay if you get a bad exchange rate or pay high fees to transfer the 800 k to a Thai bank. Plus the hassle of traveling if you don’t like airplanes and cheap hotels. 

Edited by Wake Up

4 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Silly attitude is being unfair. 

You do have to transfer 800 k baht to a Thai bank from overseas for a Non-O extension of stay and the transfer out of pocket costs will exceed 250 USA  dollars and up depending on how you transfer the money and the exchange rate you receive. The travel costs to an Asia country for a couple of days can be cheap. So the 30,000 baht or 1000 USA dollars for an agent could be more expensive than getting a Non-O in Asia and a extension of stay if you get a bad exchange rate or pay high fees to transfer the 800 k to a Thai bank. Plus the hassle of traveling if you don’t like airplanes and cheap hotels. 

"Plus the hassle of traveling if you don’t like airplanes"

It seems you're in the wrong part of the world if you don't like airplanes.

You do know that Laos and Malaysia are almost nextdoor depending where you are in Thailand? 

• Sad 1

Has anyone read or heard anything "official" about the possibility that in the immediate future insurance will be required for non O visas. It's such an obvious loophole I would imagine the government would try to counteract it.? I certainly do not want to buy useless insurance, but I am 73, at 75 it is virtualy impossible to start insurance, you can only renew.  Switching to O now could mean I'll be too old to get a policy when the government gets around to requiring it for O.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, mhortig said:

Has anyone read or heard anything "official" about the possibility that in the immediate future insurance will be required for non O visas. It's such an obvious loophole I would imagine the government would try to counteract it.? I certainly do not want to buy useless insurance, but I am 73, at 75 it is virtualy impossible to start insurance, you can only renew.  Switching to O now could mean I'll be too old to get a policy when the government gets around to requiring it for O.

What we do know is people keep asking the same question about non imm O, over and over. Insurance isn't required, stop worrying about it until it happens if it ever does

2 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Yes, us O-As are squealing so much they would think twice about including the much larger group of Os.

I'm thinking of starting a GofundMe to help us pay for our bogus insurance policies. I'm counting on our hi-so, elitist brother Os to give generously. 

Who forced you to go for the O-A in the first place? 

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You can get a 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa based on retirement in Savannakhet in Laos or in Penang in Malaysia. Same requirements. No medical check or police record. That's for the O-A only. Here's a link:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/savannakhet/th/services/104407-Applying-for-Visa.html

OK, thanks. What about Vientiane, is the "O" based on retirement available there? The reason I ask is that I don't have a car, prefer to avoid vans/buses, and there is train service from Bangkok to Nong Khai. g/f and I could make a several day vacation out of it affordably whereas both of us flying to other locations would get more pricey.

1 hour ago, mhortig said:

If you go out of the country and "kill" your o-a, is there a minimum amount of time  before you can apply for O, and reenter  Thailand?

No, exiting Thailand without a re-entry permit will 'kill' your present permission to stay (provided your original OA Visa validity has expired).  And then you can apply immediately for a new Visa category.

See also response to same question in different thread:

4 minutes ago, Canuck50 said:

OK, thanks. What about Vientiane, is the "O" based on retirement available there?

Yes it is but the require a police clearance and medical certificate. Both can be from here.

Penang is also does them and has the same requirements as Savannakhet.

For Savannakhet you can use a fly/ride service to Mukdahan and then cross the bridge to Savannakhet. Info for Nok Air's service is here.

https://content.nokair.com/en/Booking/Where-we-fly/Flight-Service/Fly-n-Ride/Mukdahan

6 minutes ago, Canuck50 said:

OK, thanks. What about Vientiane, is the "O" based on retirement available there? The reason I ask is that I don't have a car, prefer to avoid vans/buses, and there is train service from Bangkok to Nong Khai. g/f and I could make a several day vacation out of it affordably whereas both of us flying to other locations would get more pricey.

FYI > It's not necessary to apply for the Non Imm O Visa in the country you are exiting to.

You can make a holiday trip to any country, as that will 'kill' your permission to stay (provided your OA Visa validity has expired already, and you do not have a re-entry permit). When returning to Thailand Visa-exempt or with a Tourist Visa, you can then apply for a Non Imm O - retirement at your local IO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck50 said:

No 90 days Non-Immigrant O based on retirement in Vientiane. They do issue a single entry 60 days tourist visa that can be converted to a 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa at the local immigration office in Thailand. You can also convert a 30 days Visa exempt but if you don't have the 800k in a thai bank 2 months prior to the 2 year extension following the 90 days Non-Immigrant O, you might be short of time.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes it is but the require a police clearance and medical certificate. Both can be from here.

Penang is also does them and has the same requirements as Savannakhet.

For Savannakhet you can use a fly/ride service to Mukdahan and then cross the bridge to Savannakhet. Info for Nok Air's service is here.

https://content.nokair.com/en/Booking/Where-we-fly/Flight-Service/Fly-n-Ride/Mukdahan

I just read the Vientiane consulate website and it says under 4.4 O-A Long Stay based on retirement. 

https://thaivisavientiane.com/

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I just read the Vientiane consulate website and it says under 4.4 O-A Long Stay based on retirement. 

https://thaivisavientiane.com/

That is the appointment website and it does not have the correct info for visas.

See this page for accurate info. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/consular/visa.php

After changing the page from Thai to English (Google Translate)

For nationals of Laos Or those aged 50 years or older Who wish to live later or after retirement in Thailand

Documents to submit for visa application include

1. resume
  2. A certificate of income not less than 65,000 baht per month from the embassy / consulate of the country of residence or a certificate from a bank in Thailand showing financial status of not less than 800,000 baht and already in the bank account Over 3 months
  3. Evidence showing criminal background checks from country of residence
  4. Medical certificate

The require the same documents for a OA or a single entry non-o visa.

Shown in English here. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/Non- ED & O.pdf

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is the appointment website and it does not have the correct info for visas.

See this page for accurate info. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/consular/visa.php

After changing the page from Thai to English (Google Translate)

For nationals of Laos Or those aged 50 years or older Who wish to live later or after retirement in Thailand

Documents to submit for visa application include

1. resume
  2. A certificate of income not less than 65,000 baht per month from the embassy / consulate of the country of residence or a certificate from a bank in Thailand showing financial status of not less than 800,000 baht and already in the bank account Over 3 months
  3. Evidence showing criminal background checks from country of residence
  4. Medical certificate

The require the same documents for a OA or a single entry non-o visa.

Shown in English here. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/Non- ED & O.pdf

Ubonjoe, Item 3 says I must get a criminal background check from "country of residence" but a few posts earlier you said I can do that here. How do I do that when officially I am a resident of Canada?

3 minutes ago, Canuck50 said:

Ubonjoe, Item 3 says I must get a criminal background check from "country of residence" but a few posts earlier you said I can do that here. How do I do that when officially I am a resident of Canada?

I guess from BKK Police. Go to Savannakhet instead, much easier application. Fly'n'ride there. No appointment needed. 

14 minutes ago, Canuck50 said:

They have accepted a Thai police clearance certificate. Info for getting one is here. http://www.pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/eng/

The have also accepted a low cost medical certificate you can get here. Just be sure it is showing the 4 prohibited diseases on it.

15 hours ago, Canuck50 said:

I have a O-A extension based on retirement coming due soon and was refused a new extension without Thai health insurance. So I plan to switch to "O" either by a border run coming back Visa Exempt and converting at CW or just getting the "O" based on retirement either in Vientiane or Savannakhet. Questions are:

1. Do both these locations offer Non-Imm O based on retirement? I seem to recall reading that Vientiane will not anymore based on retirement.

2. Do I have to show police records check and/or medical certificate to qualify at these locations. I'm sure I could get a medical done locally but the records check from home country would be impossible remotely. 

3. Any other adjacent country Thai consulates recommended (to get the non-imm O) when travelling from Bangkok that might also offer some vacation attraction.

Hi Canuck50,

In your original post you asked in 3. about options when traveling from Bangkok that might also offer some vacation attraction.

The answer is simple > ANY country or destination outside Thailand will do.  Go enjoy a holiday-trip to another country and come back Visa-Exempt (of course your original OA Visa validity should have expired before returning).

Once back in Thailand, apply for a Non Imm O Visa - retirement at your local IO (this must be done 15 to 21 days before your 30-day Visa exempt permission to stay expires, which means in 1st week after your return).

So there is actually no need to go to Savannakhet, Penang, Vientiane or any other thai embassy/consulate destination that provides Non Imm O - retirement Visas.

15 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Canuck50,

In your original post you asked in 3. about options when traveling from Bangkok that might also offer some vacation attraction.

The answer is simple > ANY country or destination outside Thailand will do.  Go enjoy a holiday-trip to another country and come back Visa-Exempt (of course your original OA Visa validity should have expired before returning).

Once back in Thailand, apply for a Non Imm O Visa - retirement at your local IO (this must be done 15 to 21 days before your 30-day Visa exempt permission to stay expires, which means in 1st week after your return).

So there is actually no need to go to Savannakhet, Penang, Vientiane or any other thai embassy/consulate destination that provides Non Imm O - retirement Visas.

Yes, that is probably what I will end up doing. Getting the "O" Visa outside seems to be hit and miss with different requirements in different consulates with no guarantee the current won't change before I get there. One concern about your statement above "(of course your original OA Visa validity should have expired before returning)". My extension of stay expires on Dec 24 and I have no reentry permit. My understanding that when I leave Thailand my current Extension of Stay would be cancelled without the reentry permit but there have been some suggestions that not all locations would agree with that. As I would not want to travel on Dec 24 (during the holidays) and would rather get it done by say Dec 15, should I be concerned that I might be refused a Visa Exempt entry when returning before Dec 24, ie. within the window of my current Extension of Stay? 

3 minutes ago, Canuck50 said:

Yes, that is probably what I will end up doing. Getting the "O" Visa outside seems to be hit and miss with different requirements in different consulates with no guarantee the current won't change before I get there. One concern about your statement above "(of course your original OA Visa validity should have expired before returning)". My extension of stay expires on Dec 24 and I have no reentry permit. My understanding that when I leave Thailand my current Extension of Stay would be cancelled without the reentry permit but there have been some suggestions that not all locations would agree with that. As I would not want to travel on Dec 24 (during the holidays) and would rather get it done by say Dec 15, should I be concerned that I might be refused a Visa Exempt entry when returning before Dec 24, ie. within the window of my current Extension of Stay? 

Nothing to worry about for you.

There have been some reports from thai embassies/consulates abroad that seemingly did not understand that the permission to stay is voided when exiting without a re-entry permit, and therefore refused to issue a new Visa 'as the present permission to stay had not expired'.  But it's not your intent to apply abroad for the Non Imm O, so that's not applicable for you.

Your case is simple > You can exit Thailand anytime before Dec 24, and since you have no re-entry permit that will automatically void the remaining permission to stay.  After having exited, you can re-enter Thailand anytime on a Visa-exempt, which will give you 30 days in the Kingdom.  In the first week of your return, apply for a Non Imm O - retirement at your local IO (as this needs to be done 15 to 21 days before the permission to stay expires). 

Once you have your Non Imm O retirement Visa, which allows you 90 days in the Kingdom, apply in the last month for a 1 year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O retirement.

2 hours ago, mhortig said:

I am in the same position, with my luck if I switch to an O they will change the rules again and then to old for insurance

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Nothing to worry about for you.

There have been some reports from thai embassies/consulates abroad that seemingly did not understand that the permission to stay is voided when exiting without a re-entry permit, and therefore refused to issue a new Visa 'as the present permission to stay had not expired'.  But it's not your intent to apply abroad for the Non Imm O, so that's not applicable for you.

Your case is simple > You can exit Thailand anytime before Dec 24, and since you have no re-entry permit that will automatically void the remaining permission to stay.  After having exited, you can re-enter Thailand anytime on a Visa-exempt, which will give you 30 days in the Kingdom.  In the first week of your return, apply for a Non Imm O - retirement at your local IO (as this needs to be done 15 to 21 days before the permission to stay expires). 

Once you have your Non Imm O retirement Visa, which allows you 90 days in the Kingdom, apply in the last month for a 1 year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O retirement.

OK thanks, that is what I will do. By the way, it seems that the 90 day non-imm O based on retirement does not give me the ability to leave Thailand and return during that 90 days. If a travel requirement comes up, can I buy a reentry permit for that 90 day visa, or must I wait until after I get the one year extension?

4 minutes ago, Canuck50 said:

OK thanks, that is what I will do. By the way, it seems that the 90 day non-imm O based on retirement does not give me the ability to leave Thailand and return during that 90 days. If a travel requirement comes up, can I buy a reentry permit for that 90 day visa, or must I wait until after I get the one year extension?

Not sure about that, but @ubonjoe will know if that is the case.

What I do know is that you need to do the application for extension of stay from your new Non Imm O - retirement Visa, at the SAME LOCAL I.O. where you applied for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.

1 hour ago, Canuck50 said:

Do you have the 800k in a thai bank at the moment? If that's the method you're using, then you can as I wrote earlier come back on a 30 days Visa exempt. You can also extend your stay another 30 days at the local immigration office if needed. 

13 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Do you have the 800k in a thai bank at the moment? If that's the method you're using, then you can as I wrote earlier come back on a 30 days Visa exempt. You can also extend your stay another 30 days at the local immigration office if needed. 

I have an income letter so that is not my concern. My concern was returning on a Visa Exempt entry on a date before my current Extension of Stay expired, even though having left the country without a reentry permit which "should" void the Extension of Stay. I believe Peter Denis answered that a couple of posts ago.

And now I am asking if I return Visa Exempt, convert that to a 90 day non-imm-O, can I buy a reentry permit for said "O" Visa if I need to leave the country for a short period between the time I get the "O" Visa and before it is converted to 1 year Extension of Stay. 

On 12/1/2019 at 12:50 PM, rwill said:

I would imagine that if the Thai government see lots of people moving from O-A to O that there will soon be a change to the law requiring insurance for the O too.  You already see talk of requiring insurance for everyone that enters Thailand.

I am repeating myself here.

Some think Non-Imm-Os will become more restricted.

I would suspect applying a future insurance requirement to Extensions would do the job.

But no point trying to second guess them, they like to surprise us!