Bathroom wall cracked

A few nights ago, I was woken by a loud cracking sound and on inspecting the bathroom discovered a large crack in the tiling, where the tiles had come away from the wall.

I need to ensure that the repair is covered by the Landlord/insurance, and not charged to me!   The condo technicians have inspected it and are checking the insurance.  However, in order to be prepared, I'd like to know if anyone can suggest what might cause a problem like this.  The wall was not cracked in any way before it happened.  Thanks.

wall1.jpg

wall2.jpg

What did the condo technicians say, has it happen in other units in the building? Key question to ask. It may come under the Condo management insurance, is it one of the main condo companys? As for landlord 50/50 as if they will pay or ask you to pay. As for the cause to the tiles doing this? I rent a 4 year old house was brand new when I moved in, no one had ever lived in it before me. after 3 years all the floor tiles started to come up, reason bad workmanship, lucky for me the landlady replaced all the tiles.

• Like 1

As I have been working with tiling and construction before, I would say this can only be out of three reasons. First one most probable.

1. They have been using moving parts (wood for example) in connection with the tiles. When that moves it creates a preassue that breaks the tiles. 

2. The wall behind has also been breaking, which points to bad foundation work.

3. There is an opening behind and a big animal like lizard, snake or else have been breaking it. (least probable)

• Like 2

OP, what is on the other side of the wall, pipes, kitchen, outside wall etc (Its not the bedhead of the marital bed, is it, lol). Is it an internal wall?

The tiles will be coming off anyway, so have a look whats under the tiles, may help to determine the cause.

I would suggest rising damp, there is a water leak somewhere and moisture in the slab and the porous internal condo walls act like a sponge and draw the water up, then leech out , I had similar in my condo, next door had a water leak and the slab was always damp.

Behind the tiles will probably look like this.

800px-Rising-damp.jpg

Edited by Peterw42

I would expect that it happened because of the wall contracting due to the cooler winter nights, combined with the tiles being installed without proper expansion joints. I had exactly the same thing happen at my Bangkok condo some years ago, only to my floor not my wall.