Siam Buri Cheese Prices

youbuyshirt

Does Siam Buri still have cheap cheese? I read some recent reviews on Google that said they had recently doubled or tripled their cheese prices. But other reviews do not mention this.

I need cheese for my high fat, low carbohydrate diet which has helped me lose a lot of body fat. But am presently in Bangkok where cheese is priced like caviar.

So I want to go to Pattaya, but only if I can still get cheap cheese. Otherwise it’s back to Phnom Penh ASAP.

Thanks for any answers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

I bring most of my cheese back with me from the UK as I travel there twice a year, so I'm not really looking in detail at the prices in Siamburi's. However, I do buy bulk, cheap cheese in Siamburi's, like Gouda for making pizzas and grilled cheese sandwiches. When I last bought a kilo a few months back it was around 150 Baht or so, give or take 20 Baht. I went there last week for the same thing and it's now priced at 270 Baht, so almost doubled in price - at least as far as I can remember. Whether this has also happened to the better quality Cheddars or blue cheeses I can't say, as I import them myself. It doesn't sound hopeful, though.

Now you can buy Romano cheese(whatever that may be) for the same price you paid for Gouda previously; https://web.facebook.com/siamburis/photos/pcb.2406683649595239/2406682929595311/?type=3&theater

siamburis cheese prices are cheap enough not to bother bringing back from the UK, more important things to use up the kg allowance, cream  cheese & romano 150thb kilo, danish blue 200thb kilo, 

Edited by steve187

Even a new higher 270 baht price for 1 kilo of Gouda is still extremely cheap. In Bangkok supermarkets  that would cost minimum 700 baht. And in Phnom Penh, $15 a kilo.

So how can it be so cheap? I heard that it's Thailand's high import taxes that make the cheese so expensive here. But, according to my research, both SiamBuri and Rimping in Chiang Mai sell cheese at very reasonable prices. So are Bangkok supermarkets just ripping the foreigner off?

Thanks for the replies.

5 minutes ago, youbuyshirt said:

Thanks. Can you give us some examples of the prices?

prices from facebook page on 5th nov. 

Cheddar only 149 baht per kilo
Edam only 149 per kilo
Mozzarella only 199 per kilo
200 g lurpak @ only 99 baht , salted or unsalted .

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 4:10 PM, Guderian said:

I bring most of my cheese back with me from the UK as I travel there twice a year, so I'm not really looking in detail at the prices in Siamburi's. However, I do buy bulk, cheap cheese in Siamburi's, like Gouda for making pizzas and grilled cheese sandwiches. When I last bought a kilo a few months back it was around 150 Baht or so, give or take 20 Baht. I went there last week for the same thing and it's now priced at 270 Baht, so almost doubled in price - at least as far as I can remember. Whether this has also happened to the better quality Cheddars or blue cheeses I can't say, as I import them myself. It doesn't sound hopeful, though.

Are you sure ?

The cheapest gouda kilo is 700 thb at makro.

Edited by rech

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 5:55 AM, steve187 said:

prices from facebook page on 5th nov. 

Cheddar only 149 baht per kilo
Edam only 149 per kilo
Mozzarella only 199 per kilo
200 g lurpak @ only 99 baht , salted or unsalted .

Where is Siam Expats? Where on Country Club Road? It sounds cheaper than Siamburi.

I finally made it to Siamburi's. The cheese there is about the same price as the best prices you can find in Vietnam if you know where to cheese-shop. Very reasonable prices, and Romano exceptionally cheap. I also saw that Makro has some reasonably priced cheese in 1 and 2 kilo sizes, including cheddar and mozarella that are made in Thailand, which I didn't know existed. 

I wonder how long a 1 or 2 kilo cheese will stay good in the fridge if you eat a little bit at a time?

Friendship has slightly higher but still okay prices.

I could not find anything remotely as good as these prices in bangkok, but I never went to the Makros there. Are Makro Bkk cheese prices same same Pattaya? Most of the cheese prices at Big C, Tesco, and various supermarkets in Bkk are outrageous.

Siamburi proves that it's not the reputed high import taxes that make cheese more expensive in Thailand than in neighboring countries.

38 minutes ago, youbuyshirt said:

I finally made it to Siamburi's. The cheese there is about the same price as the best prices you can find in Vietnam if you know where to cheese-shop. Very reasonable prices, and Romano exceptionally cheap. I also saw that Makro has some reasonably priced cheese in 1 and 2 kilo sizes, including cheddar and mozarella that are made in Thailand, which I didn't know existed. 

I wonder how long a 1 or 2 kilo cheese will stay good in the fridge if you eat a little bit at a time?

Friendship has slightly higher but still okay prices.

I could not find anything remotely as good as these prices in bangkok, but I never went to the Makros there. Are Makro Bkk cheese prices same same Pattaya? Most of the cheese prices at Big C, Tesco, and various supermarkets in Bkk are outrageous.

Siamburi proves that it's not the reputed high import taxes that make cheese more expensive in Thailand than in neighboring countries.

some things are cheaper in expat shop, than siamburys, , driving along siam country club from siamburys its on the left hand side, i think its opposite a market

• 2 weeks later...

well, yes, but a good piece of cheese to finish the meal, like Camembert from Normandy with raw milk, emmental cheese, or fourme d'ambert, it's not bad, but in moderation.
The goat cheese, fresh, is excellent.
You should not deprive yourself of good things.
Whether we eat or not, we die all the same

image.jpeg.4dc093694d71bdb5c536fd2b4b48f0fa.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2019 at 10:40 AM, sirocco said:

that's for sure, Steve 187, like the farangs eat and drink anything, (as long as it's not expensive) the thais make them swallow anything that can fill their stomachs.
Hence the "farang special" grocery stores.

Unless you eat and drink like a Thai in Thailand, you can expect to pay a premium. 

13 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

hi, do you know if Romano cheese is the cheapest available ? thanks.

Was there this morning ,by far the cheapest ,nice flavour ,we dont eat masses of cheese but i do like to have a good supply of romano in the fridge ,and danish blue

• Like 1

But yes, LEAVER, post 24, it is with full knowledge of the facts that I prefer to eat and drink in small quantities, at prices, certainly high, than to stuff myself with products (low prices) of very poor quality.
It is my choice and I appreciate all the more that it is rare.
Happy New Year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sirocco said:

But yes, LEAVER, post 24, it is with full knowledge of the facts that I prefer to eat and drink in small quantities, at prices, certainly high, than to stuff myself with products (low prices) of very poor quality.
It is my choice and I appreciate all the more that it is rare.
Happy New Year.

We all pay more than we should for the things we like here.  As long as you know, in many cases, the Government is making more money in taxes than the true cost of the product, with transportation to Thailand.  Wine is a prime example.