Bank Error - In My Favor!

LukDod

Bank error - in my favor!

On March 20th I went to the branch of the Thai Military Bank located

on 2nd Road, near Pattayaland-2.

I went to re-deposit $1600 in US funds that I had previously acquired from

the bank, as I was soon to renew my Visa.

The reason I had US currency was that back in March '06, when the

Baht exchange rate had dropped to 37:$1, I had that bank convert money

I had previously deposited in my account (in Sept '05) at exchange rate

or 41:$1, back into US dollars. I made a small profit on the exchange.

I had hopes that the Baht exchange rate would again increase and I would

re-deposit the US dollars and again make a small profit. As we all know,

the Baht continued to decline, so I just continued to hold onto those US

dollars I had obtained from the bank. As I hadn't been back to the States

in nearly 4-years, this was the only US currency I had in Thailand.

I gave the teller the $1600-US, and she gave it to a man in the exchange

booth. The man returned and handed back two of my the $100 bills, and

said that they didn't seem to be genuine. I asked what was wrong with them

and said 'but they came from your bank', indicating the exchange dates in

the my bank book. He didn't understand due to language difficulties.

He also gave the teller a slip for the $1400 dollars he had converted back

into Baht and she entered the amount into my bank book.

It wasn't until later that night, when I had my reading glasses on that I reviewed

the receipt for the transaction. I was shocked! The man in the exchange

booth had inadvertently keyed in the amount of dollars being exchanged

as $14,000, _not_ the $1,400 he had been given. So the exchange booth

receipt and my bank book reflected a deposit of 487,200-Bt rather than the

correct amount of 48,720-Bt!

I planned on going to the bank the next day and let the error be corrected.

Early the next morning, the phone rang. It was a lady from the bank, who

spoke very minimal English, seeking to inform me of the error. I told her I was

aware of the problem and would go to the bank that afternoon, at 2pm,

to have the error corrected. I told her (in my marginal Thai) that I wanted to

meet with the branch manager and have someone there who spoke Thai

and English. I wanted to know why they had claimed that the $200 in US

currency I had sought to exchange was questionable. I also wanted

to tell themanager that I hope the Thai man in the exchange booth, as well

as the teller not be fired for the error. I'd read on "Thai-Visa" that such can

happen to Thai employees when errors are made, even if the error is

later rectified.

I arrived at the bank, with my bank book in hand. The manager was not

there and the _only_ person who spoke any English was the same lady

who had phoned me. We were standing in front of one of the tellers, along

with two other bank employees. The lady was insistent that I hand her my

bank book so the error could be corrected. I said I first want to understand

what was the problem with the two $100 bills I had in hand, that they said

might not be genuine and explained they had come from their bank. With

her limited English she repeately said she didn't understand. Yet she did

look at the US notes and said they did not have a small colored stamp

which is placed on all currency the bank receives through the exchange

booth. She continued to insist I hand her my bank book so the error could be

reversed. She was becoming quite surly about it and was indifferent about

my question about my 2 $100 bills! Out of frustration I said I'll return the next

the morning, bringing someone who speaks Thai and English, and I

want to speak to the manager. I had been told the manager speaks Thai

and no English. Back home, I looked at the other US notes I still have in my

possession from the earlier bank exchange and found a minority of them had

no stamp what-so-ever. Of course, Thai's never make mistakes....they just

'save face'.

The next morning, the few local business owners I phoned which I know are

fluent in both languages all happened to be Bangkok on business. Alas, I was

unable to find someone who could assist me with communications, so I just

went to the bank and handed my bank book to the lady who had been so surly

the prior day and let the amounts be corrected. Once done my bank book was

returned. There was no 'thank you' for responding so quickly to correct their

error...it was almost like I had committed the bank error. well, 'This Is Thailand'

and I guess I'd better start taking my reading glasses whenever I go banking!!

Addendum: I can understand that the bank would question whether the two

$US bills actually were obtained from their bank. I tried to show them the

entries for the indicated exchanges in my bank book, to at least substantiate

that the bills could have come from their bank. They had no interest in looking

at the entries for the exchanges. I also asked them why they felt the two bills were

questionable and what they felt was wrong with them. Again they just ignored

my request. Their only concern was rectifying their error and they were

completely indifferent about my concerns. So much for customer service!!

I wonder if they would be as indifferent if my long term account with the bank

had belonged to a Thai? ;-)

Lastly, I subsequently took the two notes to another bank and they were

readily exhanged into Baht...!!

-----------------------

Welcome to LOS

From my friend living in Thailand since 1964

Rule number one: Never,ever, ever take a Thai seriously.

Rule number two: Never, ever, ever sleep with the maid, because then she'll want a maid too.

Rule number three: Always smile and act a little stupid and never try to speak Thai, even if you can.

And remember you are "usually" being lied to...:o

Edited by maestro
Quoted text reduced.

-----------------------

Welcome to LOS

Rule number two: Never, ever, ever sleep with the maid, because then she'll want a maid too.

Rule number three: Always smile and act a little stupid and never try to speak Thai, even if you can.

rule number four: never be helpful: If you go to the bank to let them correct it, they feel themself in the position to order you arround. just don't care about them and let them know that everything is not very interesting for you and they see that you are somehow an important person and will be much more helpfull.

Of course that does not apply to everyone, specially not for real nice people but for the usually bangkok wannabes who come from the rice field and now they think they are very important as they work in a bank.

As well I found out than banks differ strongly from branch to branch

I saw UOB: very nice modern and helpful in Samut Prakarn--arrogant bastards and like 100 years ago in Thaveewattana

complete reverse for Thai Military.

There are also other examples:

I transfered from an ATM money to a wrong bank account, my friend gave me a wrong number (no glasses) and the wrong bank account existed. My friend (german farang) told he just go to the bank and explain that. I thought thats complete hopeless. He explained in his half thai, little enlish+german. They smiled, told no problem, that can happen and corrected the problem. (what would be if he is a bad guy and it wasn't a mistake). I still can't believe that.

Edited by maestro
Quoted text reduced.

Here we go again, the anti-Farang conspiracy theory.....haha...if this had happened in your own country what then ?

My advice , learn to speak Thai in Thailand and you will be able to communicate with Thai people, amazing what the results will be.

Can you imagine a Thai person walking into a bank in England and rattling on in Thai about some pound notes he got from that bank a few years previous, and why are the notes not being accepted now, you think that the staff in a UK Bank would solve his problem at once when they have no idea what he is talking about ?

Then again, in general the Thai person would be ok in another country, as they very often make the effort to learn the language of the country they reside in.

Unlike the majority of Farangs.

Edited by Maigo6

Imagine living in a country for 43 years with that attitude about the host countries people, must be a nightmare.

Has you friend been held in Thailand against his will all that time, or is he just too stupid to move to a better place?

Do you also live in Thailand following the same set of rules, if so, why ?

Edited by Maigo6

i used to work in a bank years ago. believe me, if the balance sheets dont add up, they will turn over everything to find it.

the error reported by the OP can be easily corrected without his knowledge as the funds were not his to start with. its easy to do a reversal of the transaction in the system, and next time he goes to update his book, this will show up.

with regards to the other $100 bills, i would suggest just taking them to another bank.

Here we go again, the anti-Farang conspiracy theory.....haha...if this had happened in your own country what then ?

My advice , learn to spek Thai in Thailand and you will be able to communicate with Thai people, amazing what the results will be.

Can you imagine a Thai person walking into a bank in England and rattling on in Thai about some pound notes he got from that bank a few years previous, and why are the notes not being accepted now, you think that the staff in a UK Bank would solve his problem at once when they have no idea what he is talking about ?

Then again, in general the Thai person would be ok in another country, as they very often make the effort to learn the language of the country they reside in.

Normaly

I have the experience that the threat Thai people often worse.

I bank officer--have uniform--be important

Thai customer (as long as he is not boss big big)=troublesome beggar--get rid of him--be rude so he goes faster--so he don't disturb from my important work (like calling mia noi)

Farang customer--must be rich--maybe know a lot--better be careful--if I make something stupid it may discredit world best country thailand.

Farang speak bad thai--maybe farang kee nok--lower than thai customer because ripp of our great social security system (yeah really I heard that).

But it is the same in europe, be foreigner speak bad german which you learned on the construction place -- labour -- bad treatment

Look handsome, speak bad but with OK grammar and slang and look a bit arrogant -- foreign business man -- good treatment.

Imagine living in a country for 43 years with that attitude about the host countries people, must be a nightmare.

Has you friend been held in Thailand against his will all that time, or is he just too stupid to move to a better place?

Do you also live in Thailand following the same set of rules, if so, why ?

No he doesnt, but he loves to share his wisdom of what it's like to live in Thailand all the way from over there in San Diego. That's why his views are respected so much here . . . .

i used to work in a bank years ago. believe me, if the balance sheets dont add up, they will turn over everything to find it.

the error reported by the OP can be easily corrected without his knowledge as the funds were not his to start with. its easy to do a reversal of the transaction in the system, and next time he goes to update his book, this will show up.

with regards to the other $100 bills, i would suggest just taking them to another bank.

The bankees are bean counters, nothing goes just like "error in my favor".

It happened to me 3 times...withdrew the money from an ATM, mobile rings...and I took my ATM card but left the money behind and walked out. (Tokyo, Citibank)

The ATM gets blocked and the bank staff comes to it and deposits the money back into my account without telling me what happened.

My fault 100% but the bankees are what they are. No wonder they they have the authority to sign your passport application in Australia.

My advice , learn to speak Thai in Thailand and you will be able to communicate with Thai people, amazing what the results will be. ....<snipped>....

Ah, Maigo6...

While I'm not _fluent_ in Thai....I was able to communicate my wishes, in Thai, to the bank personnel. I rarely have a problem conveying my needs in basic Thai...but cannot yet hold deep conversations. There no question that they _absolutely understood_ what I wanted on the first day I had gone to the bank. My reason for subsequently seeking someone who is _fluent_ in Thai, is that they cannot choose ignore that person and play naive, as they did with me!

On another board I saw a reply to this very same issue and the poster ended his comments with the following (crass) parable. I think it may have some bearing on my experience, as my account at the bank is not one of millions of Baht. Might you agree...??? :

"A crusty old man walks into a bank and says to the teller at the window, "I want to open a ######ing checking account."

The astonished woman replies, "I beg your pardon, sir. I must have misunderstood you. What did you say?"

"Listen up, ###### it. I said I want to open a ######ing checking account now!"

"I'm very sorry sir, but that kind of language is not tolerated in this bank."

"What the hel_l do you plan to do about it?"

The teller leaves the window and goes over to the bank manager to inform him of her situation. The manager agrees that the teller does not have to listen to foul language.

They both return to the window and the manager asks the old geezer, "Sir, what seems to be the problem here?"

"There is no ######ing problem," the man says. "I just won 50 million in the ###### lottery and I want to open a ######ing checking account in your ######ing bank, okay?"

"I see," says the manager, "and this bitch is giving you a hard time

My advice , learn to spek Thai in Thailand and you will be able to communicate with Thai people, amazing what the results will be.

Normaly

I have the experience that the threat Thai people often worse.

I bank officer--have uniform--be important

Thai customer (as long as he is not boss big big)=troublesome beggar--get rid of him--be rude so he goes faster--so he don't disturb from my important work (like calling mia noi)

Farang customer--must be rich--maybe know a lot--better be careful--if I make something stupid it may discredit world best country thailand.

Farang speak bad thai--maybe farang kee nok--lower than thai customer because ripp of our great social security system (yeah really I heard that).

But it is the same in europe, be foreigner speak bad german which you learned on the construction place -- labour -- bad treatment

Look handsome, speak bad but with OK grammar and slang and look a bit arrogant -- foreign business man -- good treatment.

5555555555!

KD :o

"A crusty old man walks into a bank and says to the teller at the window, "I want to open a ######ing checking account."

The astonished woman replies, "I beg your pardon, sir. I must have misunderstood you. What did you say?"

"Listen up, ###### it. I said I want to open a ######ing checking account now!"

"I'm very sorry sir, but that kind of language is not tolerated in this bank."

"What the hel_l do you plan to do about it?"

The teller leaves the window and goes over to the bank manager to inform him of her situation. The manager agrees that the teller does not have to listen to foul language.

They both return to the window and the manager asks the old geezer, "Sir, what seems to be the problem here?"

"There is no ######ing problem," the man says. "I just won 50 million in the ###### lottery and I want to open a ######ing checking account in your ######ing bank, okay?"

"I see," says the manager, "and this bitch is giving you a hard time

Very good........ :o:D

My advice , learn to speak Thai in Thailand and you will be able to communicate with Thai people, amazing what the results will be.

Ok, so what you're saying is if you want to visit Thailand or do business here you'd better learn Thai.

That just about somes up Thailand now.

I've traveled and done business in dozens of countries. As international trade and travel have boomed in the last decade it is quite clear to most nations that English is the international language and needed to be spoken and understood by anyone who wants to do international trade, especially tourism.

In a few years the Thais may (or may not) realise this.