Court tells banks to hand Trump financial records to House Democrats

webfact

Trump lawyers will appeal to the supreme court and the supreme Trump's personal friends will reverse the judgement and nobody will ever see the Trump financial (secret) records. And most of his (half-witty) followers will applaud

Meanwhile, 2 days ago this came in:

US Justice Ginsburg puts temporary hold on Trump financial records dispute

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/us-justice-ginsburg-puts-temporary-hold-on-trump-financial-records-dispute

Release of Trump’s Banking Records Delayed by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg

The stay came three days after a lower court had ordered Deutsche Bank and Capital One to turn over President Trump’s financial records to Congress.

• Like 1

Release of Trump’s Banking Records Delayed by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg

The stay came three days after a lower court had ordered Deutsche Bank and Capital One to turn over President Trump’s financial records to Congress.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Friday put a one-week hold on a lower court’s order for President Trump’s bank records to be turned over to Congress.

The stay issued by Justice Ginsburg came just three days after the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in New York said that Deutsche Bank and Capital One must cooperate with subpoenas of two Democratic-controlled committees in the House of Representatives.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/06/us/trump-deutsche-bank-tax-returns.html

• Like 1

Trump administration wins 1, loses another Supreme Court decision

President Trump received some good news and some bad news from the Supreme Court on Friday.

First, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg temporarily blocked a congressional subpoena for President Trump's financial records from Deutsche Bank. The decision comes after Trump's emergency request to block a lower court ruling that required him to hand over the records as part of the House Financial Services and Intelligence Committees' investigation into Trump's relationship with the bank.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-administration-wins-1-loses-160155311.html

7 minutes ago, bendejo said:

This is one of the big questions: why did the German banks loan him $$$ when he is such a well-known deadbeat, even while he was suing the very bank?

There would have been a salesman or two whose commission or annual bonus depended on Trump getting his loan. Never underestimate the greed of someone whose income relies on such incentives

• Like 2

Quote:  The material sought by the committees include records of accounts, transactions and investments linked to Trump, his three oldest children, their immediate family members, and several Trump Organization entities.

Do you Trump haters know what this will mean if it is successful?  All future POTUS' (Dem or GOP) will have all their financial accounts, transactions and investments - for themselves and all their children, and all their family members - obtained by the opposing Party if they have a majority in the House/Senate.  Remember - there is no actual 'reason' for the request, like an offence or a specific breach.

The Dem House Committee just wants to troll through everything - maybe they wioll find something and maybe they will not.  Should any political Party be able to troll through the financial records of anyone and all their family members, for purely political purposes?  Remember - if this precent is allowed by SCOTUS - this will apply to all and any Americans.  Do you think that when the GOP wins back control of the House that they will not use this precedent to troll through all financial records of the Clintons and Obama?   

There must be a line drawn. If Trump, or anyone, has committed any specific financial offence or a specific breach, then I think it is OK for all records related to that specific offence or breach to be released.  But ALL records of Trump? And his children? And their children?  Surely any rational person can see the downsides to this Dems demand succeeding - for both sides of politics.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Quote:  The material sought by the committees include records of accounts, transactions and investments linked to Trump, his three oldest children, their immediate family members, and several Trump Organization entities.

Do you Trump haters know what this will mean if it is successful?  All future POTUS' (Dem or GOP) will have all their financial accounts, transactions and investments - for themselves and all their children, and all their family members - obtained by the opposing Party if they have a majority in the House/Senate.  Remember - there is no actual 'reason' for the request, like an offence or a specific breach.

The Dem House Committee just wants to troll through everything - maybe they wioll find something and maybe they will not.  Should any political Party be able to troll through the financial records of anyone and all their family members, for purely political purposes?  Remember - if this precent is allowed by SCOTUS - this will apply to all and any Americans.  Do you think that when the GOP wins back control of the House that they will not use this precedent to troll through all financial records of the Clintons and Obama?   

There must be a line drawn. If Trump, or anyone, has committed any specific financial offence or a specific breach, then I think it is OK for all records related to that specific offence or breach to be released.  But ALL records of Trump? And his children? And their children?  Surely any rational person can see the downsides to this Dems demand succeeding - for both sides of politics.

It is already the law.   The House Ways and Means Committee the power to request tax returns from the Treasury Department for review in closed session.  Trump has decided to ignore that law.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Trump is the only potus I’m aware of who hasent released his records he has been ordered to comply he refuses and delays the dude is dirty and most likely compermrised that’s the reason for the pressure also his constant deference to putin and spouting of russan disinformation is another reason for this pressure

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tug said:

Trump is the only potus I’m aware of who hasent released his records he has been ordered to comply he refuses and delays the dude is dirty and most likely compermrised that’s the reason for the pressure also his constant deference to putin and spouting of russan disinformation is another reason for this pressure

Wrong.  Trump has refused to release his Tax Returns and he does not have to do so.  Every POTUS since Nixon has done that voluntarily - none did so before Nixon - but none of them were a billionaire businesman - see my reply to Credo. 

The Dems want all his financial records (and his family's) because they cant get his tax returns.  But they want them for political reasons so that they can troll through them.  But they need a real reason first - and IMO the SCOTUS will uphold that right for Trump and every other American citizen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Credo said:

I'll try to make it simple for you.   It is the law:

The letter cites a 1924 law that gives the House Ways and Means Committee the power to request tax returns from the Treasury Department for review in closed session.

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/9/18296806/trump-tax-returns-congress-legal-experts

I will make it even simpler for you. This is from your Vox article (liberal organisation that it is):

Presidential candidates are not required by law to release tax returns, but every major-party nominee in modern American history has done so — until Donald Trump. Trump’s refusal to adhere to this norm has set up a massive legal fight between Congress and the White House.

--------------

The Constitution applies to Congress. The Supreme Court has repeatedly told us that the Constitution permits Congress to perform investigations and subpoena documents only when it pursues a legitimate legislative purpose.

----------------

I will also advise you that Congress has the authrity to issue a subpeona - but that does not make it 'The Law'.

Have you seen that movie 'Judge Dredd' - the one with Sylvester Stallone? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

I will make it even simpler for you. This is from your Vox article (liberal organisation that it is):

Presidential candidates are not required by law to release tax returns, but every major-party nominee in modern American history has done so — until Donald Trump. Trump’s refusal to adhere to this norm has set up a massive legal fight between Congress and the White House.

--------------

The Constitution applies to Congress. The Supreme Court has repeatedly told us that the Constitution permits Congress to perform investigations and subpoena documents only when it pursues a legitimate legislative purpose.

----------------

I will also advise you that Congress has the authrity to issue a subpeona - but that does not make it 'The Law'.

Have you seen that movie 'Judge Dredd' - the one with Sylvester Stallone? 

Do you understand that there is a law that authorizes the House Ways and Means Committee to do exactly that?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Do you understand that there is a law that authorizes the House Ways and Means Committee to do exactly that?

I have no intention of entering into a debate with someone who has no understanding of legal definitions. 

But seeing you asked so nicely - Where is that Law? Do you have a copy? Link and Reference?

Gotta go - will read/respond later.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

I have no intention of entering into a debate with someone who has no understanding of legal definitions. 

But seeing you asked so nicely - Where is that Law? Do you have a copy? Link and Reference?

Gotta go - will read/respond later.

3 hours ago, bristolboy said:

I'll come back tomorrow for that link then shall I ??

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, bendejo said:

This is one of the big questions: why did the German banks loan him $$$ when he is such a well-known deadbeat, even while he was suing the very bank?

I call it "the Golden Rope" which will tie him to Russia, money laundering, and a career of international financial rascality, all of this pre-2017.  Depending what irons were still in the fire post-inauguration possibly impeachable charges.

And this is why I want the House to delay passing the impeachment on to the Senate:  There is much, much more egregious stuff against him out there, which makes this Ukraine thing look like a parking ticket.  If he slides on dismissal, and afterwards the real filth emerges, doing the impeach thing again won't look good.   Unless, maybe, they catch him with something so bad his own party leads the charge!  Fat chance, I know. 

I too think dems going too fast. Wait a week and trump will have done something else illegal. Lots of pressure on giuliano now, lots more to come out.

28 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

I'll come back tomorrow for that link then shall I ??

You have no idea trump is a billionaire. Unless you are taking his word for it. Thats dangerous with a capital D.

• Thanks 2