Canadian Tourist Visa For Thai Wife

Hello,

Does anybody know the procedure and waiting time to obtain Canadian Tourist Visa for Thai Wife. Is the whole sponsorship crap applicable when married or is it a strait forward application process.

Thx,

Rob

It's pretty straightforward although the Canadian embassy hires locals to do the tourist visas and in my opinion these people are a huge annoyance. Just be patient but firm with them and plan for several trips as these people will not ask you up front for everything they want. Assume they want a letter from her employer, bank statements, copies of your marriage certificate, evidence of any property she may own in Thailand, etc. Don't deposit money in her account, do a statement and then remove it because there is a good chance they will ask her to go get an ATM reciept on the spot.

If you get any trouble from the local staff, politely but firmly ask to speak to their supervisor. They hate this but the supervisory staff there are just the opposite of the front line people. Very reasonable and helpful. It helps if you go with her as I've found that Canadian nationals are not dealt nearly the same degree of BS from the local staff as lone Thais are.

You don't need to go through as intense of a sponsorship process as you would for a permanent residence application, but have the documents mentioned above ready just in case.

Are you living/working in Thailand, or do you have a home in Canada?

Hello,

Does anybody know the procedure and waiting time to obtain Canadian Tourist Visa for Thai Wife. Is the whole sponsorship crap applicable when married or is it a strait forward application process.

Thx,

Rob

It's pretty straightforward although the Canadian embassy hires locals to do the tourist visas and in my opinion these people are a huge annoyance. Just be patient but firm with them and plan for several trips as these people will not ask you up front for everything they want. Assume they want a letter from her employer, bank statements, copies of your marriage certificate, evidence of any property she may own in Thailand, etc. Don't deposit money in her account, do a statement and then remove it because there is a good chance they will ask her to go get an ATM reciept on the spot.

If you get any trouble from the local staff, politely but firmly ask to speak to their supervisor. They hate this but the supervisory staff there are just the opposite of the front line people. Very reasonable and helpful. It helps if you go with her as I've found that Canadian nationals are not dealt nearly the same degree of BS from the local staff as lone Thais are.

You don't need to go through as intense of a sponsorship process as you would for a permanent residence application, but have the documents mentioned above ready just in case.

Thanks for the info. We went today and applied so the answer should be available tomorrow.

Just a few notes for some Canadian reading this. The service is terrible, you wait about 2 hours to submit the app and then don't forget the listing of all family members in both english and thai. I have applied for a UK visa twice for my wife and helped a friend with a EU visa. The treatment of the Canadian embassy is really sub class. Considering there were about 30 people waiting (including agents) and only one window open.

:o

Rob

Hello,

Thx,

Rob

Thanks for the info. We went today and applied so the answer should be available tomorrow.

Just a few notes for some Canadian reading this. The service is terrible, you wait about 2 hours to submit the app and then don't forget the listing of all family members in both english and thai. I have applied for a UK visa twice for my wife and helped a friend with a EU visa. The treatment of the Canadian embassy is really sub class. Considering there were about 30 people waiting (including agents) and only one window open.

:o

Rob

How was your luck? I tried to get a tourist visa for my GF so we could go visit Canada and we (she) was flatly refused - they never even bothered to ask me into the room.

I hope you did better.

How was your luck? I tried to get a tourist visa for my GF so we could go visit Canada and we (she) was flatly refused - they never even bothered to ask me into the room.

I hope you did better.

They tried that on us too. After five years together and three years of marriage one of those useless ninnys tried to tell us that our relationship wasn't a real one.

What was the circumstances of your refusal?

• 2 weeks later...

CdnVic sorry for the late reply, I did not click get notification of replies.

In my case she is my GF and we tried to get approval for her to go to canada and attend english classes for a month or two while we were there.

I went over the top trying to figure out what was the best way to go and went with that as i was told that the schools letter is a helpful one and becasue commerce (in Canada) is given a boost then your chances are greater.

Well she was rejected based on:

"your travel history"

"purpose of visit"

"limited employment prospects in your country of residence"

and

"your personal assets and financial status"

I was quite upset - especially since the application asks much about the Cdn (ie will you buy tickets, support the person during the stay etc) yet they did not even invite me in for the interview, she had to go alone.

At the time I was not working here. I am now in a permanent position with a multinational and we are about to try again as i want to go home for a few weeks and would like her to come.

It really burns me the way the system works and the message it sends about our country. At 18 I left Canada and travelled for a year around Europe etc and visited at least 15 countries and was never harrassed like this - never had to have sponsors or was rejected because I had no "economic standing" - and at 18 I did'nt AND at that time we had 18% unemployment and 18% (or so) inflation so our ecopnomy was a basketcase but it was not a problem.

So... and I dont want to think this way...but what is the deal??? IF you are "white" and want to go travel then all the doors are open bbut if you are not "white" then dont come knocking on Canada's door?? It has me really PO'd

And.....(sorry really on a rant now) my background in Canada was as peasant as they come (not going into details here). My father toiled at a jopb that epitomizes peasantry, but brought us all up and i was able (because i live in Canada) to go to university - prove myself and move forward. So how come the peasant 8 year old with no economic standing from a country with 'limited employment prospects' (in 1981) can travel at will but I cannot take my GF home for a few weeks. It smells REAL bad to me - because when I put the two scenarios side by side I see only one real discrepancy.

Also I have been here (in Thailand) for almost 5 years now, on tourist visas, a work visa, a 3 year non-immigrant visa, and now a work visa again - yet my country says no to her.

And people here wonder why there is so much frustration directed at falangs. Well try being in thier shoes on this one and you might see why. It was a real treat explaining to her that yes I am a Canadian; I have no criminal record; I served in the military; I am educated to a masters level (in some of Canada's best schools); I am a business owner that creates jobs for my community but no I cannot get you a visa to come visit my country even though you are a good citizen with no criminal record as well. Not easy to explain, mainly because i cannot explain it.

So we are about to try again - this time just to go visit for a few weeks.

If anyone has suggestions, would love to hear them..

Thanks

I hope you did better.

They tried that on us too. After five years together and three years of marriage one of those useless ninnys tried to tell us that our relationship wasn't a real one.

What was the circumstances of your refusal?

I would try again, appealing to the higher-ups with a letter from your employer stating that you will be returning to work in Thailand after you return from Canada. Make it very clear to them that you work in Thailand and going to Canada is a holiday.

Edited by cdnvic

Hi

Yes we are going to try again.

Now last time there was both a local and a Cdn rep in the room, so I am not sure what appeal options are available but we are for sure going for it again. I hope I can get in this time.

I do know the Ambassador, having spent time with him at many Canadian events - but I do not think its right to bother him with this - but if we do get rejected again I will have to let him know what I think of the whole process and what it says about Canada.

On the net there is a ton of discussion about this problem in Canada, there was a private members bill put forward a few years ago to amend the process so people could get a visa easier, but it was sent to committee (ie to die) and was never passed. But MP's around the country are inundated with requests from people to help with this issue.

Thanks

I would try again, appealing to the higher-ups with a letter from your employer stating that you will be returning to work in Thailand after you return from Canada. Make it very clear to them that you work in Thailand and going to Canada is a holiday.

I do know the Ambassador, having spent time with him at many Canadian events - but I do not think its right to bother him with this

Good instinct. He cannot intervene in these cases. Immigration and foreign affairs are two different branches of government.

but if we do get rejected again I will have to let him know what I think of the whole process and what it says about Canada.

You MP at home has a better chance with it than an ambassador who cannot get on the phone with the minister of immigration, or the immigration critic in opposition.

Very good points, thanks for that.

I do know the Ambassador, having spent time with him at many Canadian events - but I do not think its right to bother him with this

Good instinct. He cannot intervene in these cases. Immigration and foreign affairs are two different branches of government.

but if we do get rejected again I will have to let him know what I think of the whole process and what it says about Canada.

You MP at home has a better chance with it than an ambassador who cannot get on the phone with the minister of immigration, or the immigration critic in opposition.

• 3 weeks later...

so the update

we did get the visa - finally. my circumstances changed quite a bbit since the last time and the case i put together was much stronger and indeed it worked

so we are actually off to the airport now to head out.

now if it was only a little bit warmer (low of 7 in vcr last night) boyt is she in for a shock, have to go to buy her a coat right now before we fly

k

Very good points, thanks for that.

I heard that in order to get a Temporary Resident Visa (the "tourist visa") for your wife, you will have to convince them that you both have ties in Thailand and something to come back to. If they believe that your intention is to settle in Canada and that your ties to Thailand are not significant, they will decline your visa and suggest you apply for a Permanent Resident Visa.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

What would you if you (I) had a 5 months/year' job as a teacher in Canada and had a GF which might be more long-term (if we are compatible and she is a decent person)? I have a fully paid condo here in Canada, been a teacher for 20 years in Canada, been to Thailand twice now (never to work). I would like her to visit/stay in Canada for a while while I work here. If things are positive, what should I do visa-wise? Should I marry her in Thailand? In Canada (assuming a visa, of course)? She is university educated, but does not work now (was working as a tour guide), but should be soon. She does not have much money I believe. I am 46.

Thanks for the advice.

It seems all this process is sooooo complicated and a major pain in the you know what.

Edited by MyPenRye