Thai students well below global average in reading, science and maths: study

webfact

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, car720 said:

I have been associated with some to the top medical people in the world.  Usually Chinese and I can assure you that they didn't cheat their way into the position.  Comparing any nationality on holidays is like saying that every Brit is a Mr. Bean or that every Aussie is a Crocodile Dundee or that every Indian is the Mahatma.

One only has to look at papers written in theoretical and quantum physics. Many are by or have in a team, Chinese. Their Space and Astronomical activities too show that they are not lacking expertise.

13 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

One only has to look at papers written in theoretical and quantum physics. Many are by or have in a team, Chinese. Their Space and Astronomical activities too show that they are not lacking expertise.

One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind. - Xi Yingzhou (first man on the moon).

19 hours ago, Toadie said:

Just FYI, in positive way, look up Thailand social economic policy.  I think you will find it interesting.

But the thing is...

What they say that they're going to do, and what they actually do are two very different things...

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:12 PM, z42 said:

Absolutely dreadful. It is hard to pin the performance on 1 single factor, but in all my years as a teacher & teacher trainer i've never seen anything as ghastly as the "no fail" policy that is in force in LOS.

As for the plan to get Filipino teachers or barely qualified NES teachers to magically boost English to super high levels, it is doomed to failure as daily exposure to English language outside the main tourist areas is almost nil.

I agree, even students that are inherently dumb, progress instead of retaking that year, which is written in Thailand's Curriculum from thje Ministry of Education 

On 12/5/2019 at 2:16 PM, Eligius said:

It's so sad to see the deliberate and systematic (which is what it is - for decades) dumbing down of the Thai populace. So much potential there, so much early curiosity about the world (one sees it in very young Thai children) - squashed out of them, by design.

When you are not even allowed to ask (let alone answer) the most fundamental questions about the nature of your own country and its power structures - you are highly unlikely to be encouraged to unfold a critically questioning and analytical mind.

Poor, poor Thailand. Destined to sink ever further into deliberately cultivated ignorance.

And yet all the while there is a man waiting in the wings - suppressed Thanathorn - who could revolutionise Thailand in so many ways and inspire its entry into the 21st century (instead of its languishing in the 16th) ...

Agree on Thanathorn.  He has no chance though. Think we know who doesn’t like him

5 hours ago, metempsychotic said:
5 hours ago, atyclb said:

hmm, i could think of some skills in which filipina women perform at a higher level than the average thai counterpart, perhaps they should bring them in to tutelage. 

takes a real man to turn a conversation about education into one about sex. well done sir!

education is education

4 hours ago, todlad said:

Oh, I wouldn't guarantee that.

David Cameron: 1st from Oxford. A dolt in real life.

Jacob Rees Mogg 2:1 Oxford. Self confessed hanger on but rich.

Boris Johnson 2:1 Oxford. Liar. Showman. Very popular with people who like liars and showmen

Donald Trump Unclassifed Wharton School. Liar. Showman. Very poor businessman. Very popular with people who like liars, showmen and racists.

One of the greatest dullards I ever worked with had a PhD in chemistry from a very good university. Similarly, I worked with a man who got a scholarship to Harvard and although achieving a very ordinary qualification, told the world how fantastic he was. Well, he was, as an office manager.

Of course, there will be cause and effect but, finally, the best management accountant I ever knew had no qualifications to his name at all. Not one!

True, We used to call them educated idiots. People with good acedemic qualifacations but no common sense or people skills...

I used to be in the building game and there are a very high number of architiects and surveyors who fit this discription perfectly...

12 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

True, We used to call them educated idiots. People with good acedemic qualifacations but no common sense or people skills...

I used to be in the building game and there are a very high number of architiects and surveyors who fit this discription perfectly...

Go back far enough and they were called Polished Duffers

On 12/5/2019 at 3:10 PM, HeyHeyHey said:

Philippines worse?

Everyone including the low level workers - ie gardener, house-keeper, or security guard speaks good English. I also never see the 80 year old gramma in middle of nowhere tiny shop using calculator to count 20+10

Thailand is as they want it to be. Hard to keep feudal system with educated public.

sadly this is utter nonsense although it is what they advertise.

this is the growing reality:

https://punto.com.ph/the-decline-of-english-proficiency-in-the-philippines/

the bit about the calculator is equally untrue, though i wont speculate about the abilities of 80 year old shop keepers.

the farther out into the provinces you get the worse english becomes beyond a few memorised conversational patterns.

even in manila or makati deviating from the pattern will cause only confusion.

the philipines has a population of 109 (ish) million people. while the middle class, and the people who serve them may have decent english profiency, the farther down the social ladder you descend, the worse things become.

for the past few years, there has been widespread government concern at the declining english rates.

2 hours ago, TKDfella said:

The real problem is that most of the sheep are led by the wolves like Murdoch and Packer.

On 12/5/2019 at 2:06 PM, HeyHeyHey said:
  On 12/5/2019 at 1:49 PM, webfact said:

China was ranked in 1st place in all three categories

oh yeah !!   Thailand number one for   sabaiiii  sabaiiii

"meh,  mai mee tang.   kaw 500 baht   na"

38 minutes ago, finnomick1 said:

If the whole world will be speaking Thai in the next ten years why do they need any English teachers ? 

True if you believe what Prayuth says. And for lots of Thais it is no more than Thailand deserves, they've been hearing how Thailand and Thais are superior for donkey's years, and still they believe it in spite of all the evidence to the contrary. It's an old principle but apparently true, that however stupid what you say might be, there'll always be someone even stupider who'll believe it.

Go figure.

On 12/5/2019 at 2:23 PM, Just1Voice said:

But they are world class when it comes to playing video games on dad's computer or their mobiles. 

I believe you've got Thais mistaken with Korean.

11 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Both your confusion on causation vs correlation along with a misunderstanding of ethnicity vs education would likely mean you’d feature quite badly on any reasoning test.

I'm an ethnic Chinese from Malaysia so let me tell you something about Malaysia. The Chinese Malaysians have consistently performed better academically than the other ethnic groups in Malaysia. The Malay-dominated government even imposed racial quotas to enter public universities or else almost all places would be taken up by the ethnic Chinese. As someone else had shown that the ethnic Chinese performed better than others in UK exams, so there is no doubt that the Chinese as an ethnicity, are top academic performers. If the education system is the only determining factor, then why is there a huge difference in performance between the different ethnicity? You should also ask yourself why the Indians performed so badly in the PISA test if the British education system is supposedly that superior?

What distinguishes a typical ethnic Chinese student from Malaysia from a typical mainland Chinese student is the competition. In China, the competition is really great because practically all of their fellow students are Chinese. Whereas in Malaysia, the ethnic Chinese have it easier because they are only 25% of the population. I have no reason to believe that the mainland Chinese students had cheated in the PISA test because they are far more hardworking that us.

Here are some photos taken during a flight from Xinjiang to Guangzhou:

plane-hw-2.jpg
plane-hw-3.jpg
plane-hw-4.jpg
plane-hw-5.jpg
plane-hw-1.jpg

On 12/5/2019 at 8:42 PM, DavisH said:

Each country is tested in their own language, not English. 

Now, suddenly it makes a bit of sense re the Philippines but maths and science there are still a shock.  Thailand may not even be as bad as I feared but generally as to be expected for all the usual reasons.  So much wasted potential.  Sad.

from what I learn,t many schools  government schools have a budget and a few English first teachers.if your budget is above average then your choice is better.similar in other countries except English is the first language.it also is what the kids what to learn or just finish school and do whatever

On 12/5/2019 at 7:59 PM, HeyHeyHey said:

Agree, where are the Chinese inventions if they are the smartest?

They would not have electricity if it wasn't Europeans (who are Australians and Americans as well now)

It's like in Thailand - petty kids who hasn't reached the development level but were given high-tech by Asgards. Then try to look like all is cool.

Why do you think China and other Asian countries put so much red tape for foreign companies? Because they know they would be crashed. China blocks every significant websites and make inferior copy.

And we give them trade preference instead, because snowflakes think it will change lol

Well, just lately quantum communications, the darkside landing and the worlds fastest supercomputer, just for starters. 5G all ready to roll out too.

On 12/5/2019 at 10:10 PM, HeyHeyHey said:

So where are the Chinese inventions?

We talk using the internet that originated in laboratories in the US, UK, and France

Electricity, cars, planes, antibiotics, and everything you can think off - nothing from China or Thailand.

Name one service or product that people use and originates from China. You can't, because it doesn't exist. They just close their market and copy what someone else invented.

Traditiona Chinese medicine, used by approximately 3.5bn people in preference to big pharma. Again, just for starters.

On 12/5/2019 at 10:12 PM, Fex Bluse said:

You are still confused. 

Nobody is saying that [insert race] is bad or good.

People are commenting on NATIONALITY averages. 

I know it's hard to understand. I have many ethnically Chinese friends from all over the world. The ones with PRC nationality regularly find it impossible to separate nationality from ethnicity. 

Are you having the same challenge? 

Every racist I know has dozens of 'black mates.'

On 12/5/2019 at 10:23 PM, Fex Bluse said:

OK. I'll play along. 

What do you think is responsible for ethnic Chinese superior cleverness? 

Bigger brains? 

Something in their diet? 

Neither. The brutal school regime that all Chinese pupils go through from 9 years of age until 18 years of age, before they even get near a university. It's around 60 hours a week including homework. And trust me, the homework gets done.

Finally, test scores are not mandates from God. I have met many intelligent people who do not possess the most basic manners. One reason I love living here is because I find the people to be civil as I get through my day each day. Sure I have problems but as a rule it is smooth sailing and good will. 

1 minute ago, jingjai9 said:

Finally, test scores are not mandates from God. I have met many intelligent people who do not possess the most basic manners. One reason I love living here is because I find the people to be civil as I get through my day each day. Sure I have problems but as a rule it is smooth sailing and good will. 

They're not "being civil", they're "avoiding conflict"

Archived