We're looking for an Engish Teacher in Non Din Daeng

Tango777

Hey guys, my wife's   grandson (my step grandson, watched him at age 8 days on the Sala in 2011) is in Non Din Daeng. Maybe it's a long shot but if there are any people there who could use a few extra bucks and can teach English, let me know. I've been to the Village about 5 times but I have to get good directions. I know about 10 minutes from Downtown Non Din Daeng/Lake area by motorbike. 

The Dude is 8 years old now. We have lived in the U.S. for about 5 years now. My wife has a quite big family in that area. Anyway, any info would be appreciated. Thanks thanks - Paul T

I have had experience of helping Thais with their English in three locations - Bangkok, Petchaburi, and Isaan.  My experience has consistently been that if the potential student is not enthusiastic and is not supported in his studies by those around him then the entire exercise is a waste of time.

You wrote, "My wife has a quite big family in that area".  I would suggest asking them to find a teacher.  If they are enthusiastic they will easily be able to do so.  If they don't do so then you throwing your money at the situation will achieve nothing positive.

Sorry to be so negative.  I promise you that I am trying to be helpful.

Edited by Horatio Poke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Thanks both you guys for these replies. I saw them at the time and got sidetracked. I appreciate it. The thing is, if he ever ends up over here in the States, I don't think he can start school now, it's too late for him to learn English. Maybe I'm wrong. Thanks again. - Tango

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 11:46 PM, Tango777 said:

Thanks both you guys for these replies. I saw them at the time and got sidetracked. I appreciate it. The thing is, if he ever ends up over here in the States, I don't think he can start school now, it's too late for him to learn English. Maybe I'm wrong. Thanks again. - Tango

He would be fine.  I adopted two non-English speaking children when they were older kids and both learned English just fine - one slower than the other but that child had pretty poor quality schooling and care before being adopted.   The second picked it up within months.  In many countries children that do not speak English receive extra support to help them learn.  

We have just done the reverse and put our 6yo non-Thai-speaking child into the village school in Issan and within a month he can understand the basics of what the teacher says, though he is not yet speaking much. He has made friends and is learning soft skills and frankly that's what's important.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks GHS. So I am very happy to report that my step grandson's school in the Village now has an English teacher! Well, it's 100 baht an hour 3 or 4 times a week after school. Anyway, I'm still working over here in the States so 3 or 4 is OK for me. The Teach is Philippine I'm told. I'll be gone by the time the kid is 30 but I am hoping it helps him. I'd spring for Mandarin if I could. The way things are going it might be more beneficial.

Edited by Tango777
correction