How early can you re-register a car?

Trujillo

I am not sure the above answer relates to the OPs question. I think he wants to know if he can pay the tax early... correct? If so the answer is yes you can pay anytime in advance. I paid mine in advance once as I knew I would not be in Thailand when the tax became due. Does that answer your question?

8 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

The answer is you may renew your car registration up to 3 months before it is due

Well yes 90 days early you can pay the vehicle road tax...there is no renewal of "registration"  registration happens when the vehicle is first sold,has a new owner or "moves" provinces.

I read the OP question as being about the annual fee required to be paid for the renewal of the license plate assigned to the vehicle- commonly referred to as “registration renewal“. This payment is recorded in the applicable section of the car ownership book.  Payment of this annual fee also results in the Transport Office giving the payee a sticker to be affixed to the car windshield as evidence of payment.  Note that this sticker includes the identification of the license plate details assigned to the vehicle per the ownership book. Selling the vehicle to another party (which sale is required to be recorded in another section of the car ownership book), does not require any change in the license plate identification nor affects the vehicle’s current registration. Further, the new owner’s name is recorded in the same car ownership book and becomes the property of the new owner to continue to be used (as this is the vehicles historical record). (BTW, nor is it a mandatory requirement to obtain a new license plate from the Transport Office in a different province you might move to.)
Only by paying this annual license plate registration renewal fee (also referred to as “car tax”)- up to 90 days before the registration renewal is due- is the vehicle legal to operate on Thailand roads. 

Edited by jeffandgop

20 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

I read the OP question as being about the annual fee required to be paid for the renewal of the license plate assigned to the vehicle- commonly referred to as “registration renewal“. This payment is recorded in the applicable section of the car ownership book.  Payment of this annual fee also results in the Transport Office giving the payee a sticker to be affixed to the car windshield as evidence of payment.  Note that this sticker includes the identification of the license plate details assigned to the vehicle per the ownership book. Selling the vehicle to another party (which sale is required to be recorded in another section of the car ownership book), does not require any change in the license plate identification nor affects the vehicle’s current registration. Further, the new owner’s name is recorded in the same car ownership book and becomes the property of the new owner to continue to be used (as this is the vehicles historical record). (BTW, nor is it a mandatory requirement to obtain a new license plate from the Transport Office in a different province you might move to.)
Only by paying this annual license plate registration renewal fee (also referred to as “car tax”)- up to 90 days before the registration renewal is due- is the vehicle legal to operate on Thailand roads. 

not really commonly referred to as “registration renewal“. unless you come from some countries

how would you get your name in a green book registered in surat thani, when you live in chang rai, without changing the bike to local plates

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

not really commonly referred to as “registration renewal“. unless you come from some countries

how would you get your name in a green book registered in surat thani, when you live in chang rai, without changing the bike to local plates

The real point here was to address the OP’s Q. I believe he was looking to know how many days in advance of when an annual fee is due could he make the payment. You want to say registration renewal is common to some countries or not, fine. 

As to your second para, contact your Transport Office. I was addressing that selling a vehicle does not absolutely require the new owner to change “registration” “when the vehicle...has a new owner” (If the new owner remained in the same province); and that anyone can take their own vehicle originally registered in province A and move to province B and not have to change the license plate nor any other registration information (as I have done). 

• 11 months later...
47 minutes ago, thepdru said:

hello, but how to know the date when it's due ? Is it written somewhere ?

Thank you.

The expiry date is on the windscreen 'sticker' the test/tax shop provides you (written in Thai)

The label below shows an expiry of 24 Jan 2559

image.png.a8ccc33551c5e9fb513372440a2123b7.png

image.png.4313ffe724214c0ebf7e811bc7664b28.png

Edited by RichCor
  • Like 2

On 12/12/2019 at 5:48 PM, steve187 said:

My Dyna has a BKK plate. It has had this plate since I bought it 15 years ago. In Pattaya.

I have lived all over Thailand, from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani to Chonburi to Hua Hin to Songkhla.

Every year I pay the annual road tax, wherever I happen to be living.

It is still on the same BKK plate as the day I bought it.

17 hours ago, canthai55 said:

My Dyna has a BKK plate. It has had this plate since I bought it 15 years ago. In Pattaya.

I have lived all over Thailand, from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani to Chonburi to Hua Hin to Songkhla.

Every year I pay the annual road tax, wherever I happen to be living.

It is still on the same BKK plate as the day I bought it.

yes but not registered to your current address

36 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Who cares ?

You might when the automatically issued speeding / lane change fines go to the wrong address and you are prevented from renewing until all the outstanding fines are paid ???? 

Note that the authorities have been threatening this (along with a points based licence penalty system) for years but have thus far failed to actually implement anything.

15 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You might when the automatically issued speeding / lane change fines go to the wrong address and you are prevented from renewing until all the outstanding fines are paid ???? 

Note that the authorities have been threatening this (along with a points based licence penalty system) for years but have thus far failed to actually implement anything.

I will confirm this year again that they still fail.

Never paid a fine and will never !