Grab taxi in Pattaya

hazelandhoward

My husband and I spent a week in Chiang Mai and were very impressed with the Grab Taxi there..they were very reasonably priced so when we got to Pattaya we were quite shocked at the difference in the price....I went on the app for a grab taxi to Cafe des Amis from the Royal Cliff and it was 200 Baths a similar distance in Chiang Mai would have been 75 Baths????

Yeah. It's quite bad. When Grab started here and there was still Uber competition the prices were much lower. But of course Grab bought out Uber here. Not sure why the prices is better in Chiang Mai though. In Bangkok of course they compete with reasonable taxis. In Pattaya we've never had reasonable taxis. 

We need something to break the mafia stranglehold of both the regular taxis (most of which sit idle) and of Grab (whose prices have good through the roof since Uber stepped aside). What can we do? My only recourse is to use them as infrequently as possible and never, ever to tip. It's sad because it is the drivers who suffer from this situation.

To the taxi drivers I say 'turn on your damn meters!'

59 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Grab in Pattaya are not much cheaper than the regular expensive taxis. Nor are they very good at finding pick up points.

A few times when I used Grab, a regular taxi turned up anyhow, so that doesn't surprise me. (He couldn't find me either).

my wife uses her MUX to do Grab she gets a lot of repeat customers as her English is very good , she learned to drive in UK  and she know all the best tourist destinations ,  she admits that most  Normal Taxi drivers and other Grab people struggle with Language skills and knowledge

On 12/14/2019 at 3:48 AM, Jingthing said:

Yeah. It's quite bad. When Grab started here and there was still Uber competition the prices were much lower. But of course Grab bought out Uber here. Not sure why the prices is better in Chiang Mai though. In Bangkok of course they compete with reasonable taxis. In Pattaya we've never had reasonable taxis. 

It's not grab, it's the taxi mafia there. 

Archived