Rules? ...of Songkran

kratindaeng

Well I have never really 'fully' experienced a Songkran Holiday. I am a bit unsure of what to expect and what the rules are? Water Pistols are allowed right? I'm guessin it wouldnt be too wise to throw a bucket of water over, say for example, officials in uniform etc? Do the immigration and BiB celebrate len naam!?

KD :o

Well I have never really 'fully' experienced a Songkran Holiday. I am a bit unsure of what to expect and what the rules are? Water Pistols are allowed right? I'm guessin it wouldnt be too wise to throw a bucket of water over, say for example, officials in uniform etc? Do the immigration and BiB celebrate len naam!?

just make sure you shoot the police in the back. and when they turn around, point to your friend standing next to you who is unaware of the situation. should be good for a few laughs.

its always good fun to get the coldest possible water to put in your water pistol.

have fun man. last year i was in chiang mai, but this year i'm stuck in koh phangan.

just make sure you shoot the police in the back. and when they turn around, point to your friend standing next to you who is unaware of the situation. should be good for a few laughs.

its always good fun to get the coldest possible water to put in your water pistol.

have fun man. last year i was in chiang mai, but this year i'm stuck in koh phangan.

5555555! Have a good one mate!

the rules vary depending on where you are .....

but here are the REAL rules ....

1> Buy a dry bag or at the very least keep your phone etc in a plastic bag!

2> Park your motorcycle ... don't get on a motorcycle taxi

3>Smile and have fun!

4> Be polite ... leave the people that look like they are dressed nice to report to work alone.

5>If the area you are throwing water in has a shut down time then stop then!

6>Don't squirt the police or monks etc ....

7>Have fun! and Smile!

Sadly I will miss Songkran for the first time in many years! I REALLY enjoy it <though 100% I would skip it in BKK Chiang Mai and Pattaya>

the rules vary depending on where you are .....

but here are the REAL rules ....

1> Buy a dry bag or at the very least keep your phone etc in a plastic bag!

2> Park your motorcycle ... don't get on a motorcycle taxi

3>Smile and have fun!

4> Be polite ... leave the people that look like they are dressed nice to report to work alone.

5>If the area you are throwing water in has a shut down time then stop then!

6>Don't squirt the police or monks etc ....

7>Have fun! and Smile!

Sadly I will miss Songkran for the first time in many years! I REALLY enjoy it <though 100% I would skip it in BKK Chiang Mai and Pattaya>

Sound advice, thanks JD. :o

For those who have seen it all before.

The rule is to ... Get the &lt;deleted&gt; out of the country for a week ! :o

The worlds dumbest national hoilday.

Sorry, second dumbest ... just remembered ... they have a national holiday celebration

in the uplands of Peru where they punch you in the face !

Naka.

Edited by naka

For those who have seen it all before.

The rule is to ... Get the &lt;deleted&gt; out of the country for a week ! :o

The worlds dumbest national hoilday.

Sorry, second dumbest ... just remembered ... they have a national holiday celebration

in the uplands of Peru where they punch you in the face !

Naka.

Erm, thanks for that Naka! 555555! In the UK we also have the same celebrations shared in Peru, the punch in the face, except this traditional celebration is usually partaken most days of the week! Society in England, I do miss it dearly!? :D:D

As a sign of respect and friendship, simply pour some water onto a persons hand.

I thought it was pouring water onto a persons shoulder? Is more polite also. I am not sure the Junta is in a good mood of late so don't get your hopes up for water pistols.

1) get a Super Soaker

2) Stand next to a 7/11 or Family Mart in a crowded area (ie Silom rd in BKK were I will be on the 14th) for a ready supply of COLD water

3) Squirt every one you see, especially crusty grumpy old farang who look like they wish they lever left the house :o

Heh

But seriously for those who never experienced it I have a couple of silly videos of me heading to Koh Sarn rd for Songkran last year.

part 1

part 2

I ask my wife "During Songkran can i spray the garden hose off the balcony at people", she said "No".

Why is it that you can throw a bucket of water at someone who is riding a motorbike, possibly causing them to fall off and hurt themself, but you cannot spray water from a balcony using a garden hose?

The whole festival just seems like a good excuse for perverts to cop a feel, and thugs to get into a punch up...

Edited by dave111223

Actually Dave thats one thing I gotta say. I saw no acts of violence for the 3 days I was playing, no fights no shootings or stabbings over the festivities. Did some happen? sure I guess so, however nothing like what would happen if they tried it were I'm from :o

KD,

Another thing: You must remember to smile nicely and say "Kop khun mak ka/krap" as Thais are pouring ice cold water down your back & smearing your face with menthol smelling gunk. It's a compliment to be chosen... honest! :o When farangs do it to you, you can express sentiments closer to your true feelings!