Are Vehicle Indicators Banned In Thailand?

Trucks with the indicator on will often pull over to the lane 1 km before actually turning. :o

Which lane ??? :D

Fast lane, right hand side.

No! As in Europe, the right hand lane is for overtaking after which you should return to the nearside lane (this on 4 lane highways). Yes, I know, I know!. Sticking to that traffic rule in Thailand will get you nowhere! But, strictly speaking, it is an offense to hog the right hand lane. Ask posters who have been booked for it.

This was my point with them sticking themselves in the right hand lane & not shifting for you to overtake. The other point was I'm often confused about which is the (joking of course) overtaking lane?? Let's face it...it's just a free for all

> Let's face it...it's just a free for all.

True, true. Like many places across the world, with small bubbles of police enforced traffic rules within sight of their cars and traffic stops.

Look at the way other countries now almost completely enforce moving traffic laws by use of fixed and mobile "enforcement" cameras, for which 200 baht "admin" fees don't work.

> 1 km sounds excessive, however trucks DO NOT turn like cars ...........................

Indeed some will take both lanes to complete a right turn off the main road. However, many loaded trucks (drivers) that are on regular repeat runs along a section of road will know where lane one (what most people call the slow lane) becomes broken and rough. So to avoid a rough ride and bounce of their truck and trailer will simply drive in lane two for a while, and forget to pull back.

Who wants to drive in lane one when it's all broken?

I'm sure the police bear that in mind when setting road side check points, "...why you drive in lane two, naughty man, you pay fine..."

>....themselves in the right hand lane & not shifting for you to overtake.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can never assume a Thai driver's understanding and concept of what is legally right, common sense or plain good manners on the road will even remotely co-inside with yours.

Mum & Pa Isuzu farming type picks loaded with X fruit etc will always hog lane two, they seldom want to be in lane one regardless of where "their" turn off is, even if they knew where it was.

No point putting extra load on your car's aircon by getting hot and bothered about other's crap driving, even if you could pull them over, quitely explain the benifits of safe driving with a fluent translator over a cup of coffee in a perfectly tranquil setting you would still be ignored and wasting your time.

The standard Thai action if driving a faster (better) car if flash headlights repeatedly until the car moves, other cars will just pass them using lane one. I prefer the second course of action, generally most of the cars involved around such a situation will be aware of the actions of the other drivers or the cars being driven. Farm picks will be slow, anything red plated wants to go fast, groups of young men playing loud music will want to race.

Of course when lane's one and two are full of traffic (slow moving) the obvious solution is to use the hard shoulder, Friday afternoon North bound on Highway 9 anyone?

With regard to the use of the left turn indicator to communicate that "The road ahead is clear for you to overtake me.", would you really trust their judgement?

Some personal driving rules:

Never put your car anywhere you have not been with your eyes and brain first.

Be able to stop in the space availible in front of you.

Consider what the roads would be like if Thailand had fog.

Edited by Cuban

• 8 months later...

Thai wife asks Somchai to check her indicators.

Somchai: 'Ok sit in the car and turn them on'

Wife: 'Ok they're on. are they working?'

Somchai: 'Yes they are, no they're not, yes they are, no they're not, yes they are, no they're not.'

As for indicators being optional, let's not forget the other "options":

1.) Stopping after an accident

2.) Stop signs

3.) Stop lights

4.) Headlights which don't blind oncoming drivers

Oh, almost forgot...during rush hour the footpath is a shortcut for motorbikes:)