Scary house visitor

It's a DEAD Golden tree snake, no snakes are poisonous,some

are venomous, this one is only mildly venomous, like a bee sting,

and would rather get out of your way than bite ,looks like this one was not quick

enough.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

It's a DEAD Golden tree snake, no snakes are poisonous,some

are venomous, this one is only mildly venomous, like a bee sting,

and would rather get out of your way than bite ,looks like this one was not quick

enough.

regards Worgeordie

"This species has nuchal glands, one of very few species of snakes in the world which is both venomous and poisonous. The only other species in Thailand which has nuchal glands is Rhabdophis nigrocinctus in same genus."

https://www.thainationalparks.com/species/rhabdophis-subminiatus

1 hour ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Is it just me or?I think they all look scary and dangerous

Not just you.  I used to feel the same way until I made an effort to learn about the snakes likely to be found around where I am.

Remember (most) snakes will only be dangerous to you when you are being dangerous to them. Most snakes will attempt to flee before they bite (vipers being an exception).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Found one in our house curled up in glass slats in downstairs  toilet but fortunately we have a mozi screen.

Nice gentleman  from  City  Hall took it away alive.  Said it was a Coconut  Snake??? 

received_755799098164586.jpeg

received_761522490993888.jpeg

scary

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Found one in our house curled up in glass slats in downstairs  toilet but fortunately we have a mozi screen.

Nice gentleman  from  City  Hall took it away alive.  Said it was a Coconut  Snake??? 

received_755799098164586.jpeg

received_761522490993888.jpeg

That's a copper head racer, rat snake family.. Look aggressive but not dangerous to humans..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Is it just me or?I think they all look scary and dangerous

Slowly getting used to them. I always make sure that I am inflated at 80 PSI when I leave on my rides; anything less and they would stay alive after I've I gone over them.

1 hour ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

My wife did,anyway is that a serious question?

Well for me I wouldn't kill them. Stay out of their way and they will leave. Getting close enough to kill a snake means if it's venemous it's close enough to kill you. Small young cobras probably the worst as they are deadly from the second they come out of the egg. They haven't learned the difference between a scare ( dry ) lunge and and a full strike and give you the full load of venom.

Edit.

One is a fairly harmless golden tree snake and the other is a whole different ball game, waglers pit viper, just similar colourings

Best bet, don't go anywhere near them

Golden-Tree-Snake.jpg

waglers-pit-viper-permissioned-emilios-kattides9.jpg

Edited by overherebc

3 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Why on earth did you kill this snake ? Totally unnecessary, and cruel.

Like there is a shortage of snakes in thailand lol and him not knowing if it is venomous would you like him to get bit then maybe have serious medical issues or even death. Next cobra i find in my yard I will post him to you.

15 hours ago, ireckonso said:

Like there is a shortage of snakes in thailand lol and him not knowing if it is venomous would you like him to get bit then maybe have serious medical issues or even death. Next cobra i find in my yard I will post him to you.

If it's not a cobra and is one of the pit vipers you have a good chance of not even seeing it and they can hit faster than you can react. Usually it will be the last snake bite you'll ever have.

Edit.

The King Cobra can have an amazing strike distance. It can both strike and move it's whole body forward at the same rime. Probaly up to 2 metres max on a 3 to 4 metre cobra. Talking milliseconds, a human blink averages 200 to 220 milliseconds, some snakes are faster than that in a strike. Blink at the wrong time and good-night Vienna.

Edited by overherebc