Fourth Pattaya International Pigeon Race, January 10 to 12

webfact

Birds of a feather

By THE NATION

800_ad90606e8a3332c.jpeg?v=1576735733

The fourth Pattaya International Pigeon Race will be held from January 10 to 12 with the winner earning a royal trophy from His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn and other prizes worth a total of Bt28 millions.

The race’s president Narong Chearavanont announced yesterday at the event at Hotel Grand Mercure Bangkok Fortune that was also attended by Pattaya deputy secretary, Sub-Lieutenant Pramote Tubtim, and the Racing Pigeon International Association’s president, Suntorn Jarumon.

The race is guaranteed by FCI Racing Pigeon Grand Prix, a world class pigeon racing organization.

“In the first year, 1,547 pigeons were sent to participate in the race, and then increased to 2,130 and 3,230 in the second and third races” Narong said. “In this latest tournament, we will see 5,095 pigeons from 38 countries worldwide.

“The race will make Thailand better known and will as ever be supported by Charoen Pokphand Group,” he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379632

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-19

1 hour ago, johng said:

As always there is something missing...where exactly is the event being held...can I bring some ferrets ?

I would imagine it is at  the racing pigeon place opposite the entrance to Bira on the 36 Highway, but being Pattaya who knows for sure!!

I hope that the pigeons that sh... every day on my balconies will participate too and never will come back. But I am afraid that the pigeon population will increase because of this race since some pigeons might enjoy more the freedom than the feeling to be a winner. 

Every year people from all over send young pigeons to Thailand to

enter the one loft race.The birds will see this loft as their home and will return to it.It is not really cheap to participate but many people do.I believe the longest distance here is around 500 km,in Europe it is more than double that!!

A lot of foreign bird owners will come to Thailand to witness the birds come home

from the last race.

If you win you do not only geta big prize but you will be able to sell a lot

oyoung pigeons for a good price.The winners are auctioned off and the number one

birdwill fetch around a million baht.

I used to race my pigeons in the old country but i find it too hot for the birds here.

I still have a bunch of pigeons and now are trying to breed new colors.

6 hours ago, Basil B said:

The idea of pigeon racing is that each bird would be racing back to their partner, but Pattaya being pattaya I am sure many birds would not go straight home... ????

Not correct,they will fly back to their loft .

Archived