Australian Disability Pension

I was wondering if any member on TV has had experience with travelling to Thailand for three to six months when on the Australian Disability Pension , I believe that if you exit the country for two weeks your payments will cease

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Scoop

Thanks for that , I thought there might have been a way out of it , but I did read on TV that an Australian guy took court action and won after they cut his benefit while he was overseas , but I cant find it

Thank you anyway

Scoop

I am out of date on this matter, but if you have been diagnosed and declared as 'permanent' DSP, then travelling overseas was OK in the past - for any period.  I heard they were going to change that to 6 months, and maybe to  weeks, but as said I dont know.  I do know that going overseas on Newstart is an immediate ceasing of payments.  Call CLink is the obvious advice - dont give name if it is about you.

• 3 weeks later...

I am on an OAP, so none of the rules affect me.

To a certain extent, I can understand Newstart, because the people on it are supposed to be looking for work. Although they should be getting more. The rules applied to the DSP by Centrelink are vicious and discriminatory. Makes me ashamed to be Australian.