HP required for Harvester

Cashboy

I recently bought this second hand rice machine that is on a small Isuzu lorry.

I paid 15,000 bt for the rice machine only (not lorry it sits on) and I saw it being used last in the 2018 harvest.P1000129.thumb.JPG.4fe7d8495706bb261ab3c3209d92b4fb.JPGP1000130.thumb.JPG.57e78779f4f5dcd878bc99223c48bae4.JPGP1000131.thumb.JPG.810ec3a6cee4c689e9a07ef58dcb1001.JPGP1000132.thumb.JPG.5e56f4c7d3d626dde1477ee0899d202b.JPGP1000133.thumb.JPG.0ffb90e4c8e2bea13186f8733cbf3398.JPGP1000134.thumb.JPG.5c0ac3cfe154e1a37f7fdf2056781d50.JPGP1000135.thumb.JPG.1d4a1257e941e5a91eb840ba0c47794e.JPG

I believe that it weighs about 800 Kgs

This machine is only used about 6 weeks a year and the villages struggled to find available machines this year.

So I decided to purchase this machine for the my village and local villages to use.

My idea is to build a general trailer that can be towed behind my pick up truck or a tractor;  and this rice harvester can be bolted on to the trailer for the 6 week harvesting period.

Has anyone any idea what kind of horespower (PS or kW) this machine requires to run it smoothly and efficiently?

I was even wondering if a Kubota Diesel engine as on those tillers would be  adequate but they seem to be between 8 and 14 PS/2400 rpm

KubotaDieselTiller.jpg.93c6a230d7ad9cb48466559d3296552c.jpg

Because I was looking at buying one of these diesel engines to drive a generator,

We have one in our area ,that is mounted on a truck chassis  ,the engine is  6 cylinders.

If it is going to be used in the   village mount it on to a trailer ,ask around for a Ford 660 , or something similar ,and use the tractor  PTO drive to drive rice thrasher ,

A Ford 6600 is rated at 79hp ,may be a bit much ,but they are plenty of Fords about ,you might be able to do a deal with the owner hirer one when needed ,a 50 hp Kubota might do the job .

Can not see a single cylinder engine having enough hp for the machine  ,you could buy a Ford tractor they are about 300-400 000 baht ,that I would say is not  a good option .  

The thresher unit is usually  mounted on a small truck because the driveshaft  from the truck  once in position is  detached from the  truck diff and  attached to the thresher. 

A small single  double power unit  might have the  horse power but  not  the same  torque as say a 4 cylinder truck engine  to maintain revs  under load but  maybe.

I would suggest checking out the  viability  of a  second  hand engine from a dismantlers  yard and  compare that to the  cost  of  a stationary  diesal unit. Plus checking out  the setup on the original or another similar to see what  gear they use from the  gearbox for optimum revs of the thresher. I have a lot  of experience  in  helping  toss rice into one but in thinking back the engine  did  not seem to  be at  any high revs  so maybe  direct drive  in top gear  was used?

2 hours ago, farmerjo said:

My friend has one mounted on a permanent  trailer and uses a Kubota 47 horsepower to drive it.

Not sure if same size machine or not.

Is there a name plate on it? 

http://www.thaisengyont.com/en/2016-02-05-02-23-32

thats what a family member uses to tow/run of these machines, he paid 30,000 baht with it mounted on a trailer, payment over 2 years coz the previous owner (family) had had enough of the threshing game...

cashboy if you are looking at buying one of the small kubota engines have a look in dohome, they have "copy ones" for half the price, goldenbow is the brand name. we have been using the goldenbow units for the past 8/9 years, i have 3 on rotation at the mo, run them 24 hours a day 365 days a year, for the past few years, easy to fix/maintain. generally we get a new one and it will run as stated above for 1.5 years before its needs fixing, can rebuild one for under 5,000baht parts/labor should service every 100 hours but i leave them till 200 hours +...

7 hours ago, farmerjo said:

My friend has one mounted on a permanent  trailer and uses a Kubota 47 horsepower to drive it.

Is this the name plate?

NamePlate.png.95ef24338c07a78e7f2c0b5b5feb9e69.png

I bought the machine from the local government.

I believe that these machines were available to the villagers to do their rice harvest.

The machine was up for sale and lots of villagers wanted to buy it but nobody could afford the 15,000 bt for it.

This year we struggled, like others in the villages, to find anyone with an available machine.

So I thought I would buy it, refurbish it, build a simple trailer for it and drive it off a PTO.

We used the machine 2 years ago and it seemed to run well on the drive shaft of that old Isuzu Lorry.

I have now been told by the village leader that he thinks the rice harvester can be run off the PTO of a Kubota L3608.

An L3608 = 36 HP tractor so probably give 33 HP at the PTO.

It would appear my harvester is on a 2m long frame that would make me think that it is a 6ft model?

It is very odd because when I looked at http://www.thaisengyont.com/en/2016-02-05-02-23-32

for power required:

Power.png.4905ed0fc5bba4525b1762886373972e.png

It states engine HP of 18 HP  but tractor power of over 85 HP  !

That does not make sense to me; anyone have an idea?

I had been looking at buying a Kubota L5018 that is a 50 HP tractor for farming the 25 rai we have and for using for construction work.

So would that be adequate?

So anyone know where to buy off the shelf leaf springs and axles to build a trailer for the road?

As I believe the machine is less than 1,000 Kgs don't require brakes on the trailer.

7 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Thank yu for that link.

I had a look and not sure if same manufacturer but am confident that the HP reuired will not be much different.

I believe my machine is the 6ft model.

However I do not understand the huge discrepency between an engine driving it  ( 18 Hp) to a tractor driving it ( 85 HP ) 

Power.png.abc30d11318dcbb61596b6ff6a4b0c2d.png

I am also told a Kubota L3608 would be sufficient to power it by the leader of the village that operated it but that is only 36 HP.

So have to hope a Kubota L4018  (40 HP ) or L5018 (50 HP) tractor will be powerful enough.

When the machine was used on my farm on the old Isuzu lorry it seemed to be working effortlessly.

6 hours ago, ireckonso said:

Probably be a good idea to go thru all the bearings, pulleys and belts before next season too.

I intend to refurbish it as I have a welder and tools to be able to work on it.

Not sure if I shall need to buy a press to get the bearings out but sure I can find an engineering workshop with one.

5 hours ago, thoongfoned said:

thats what a family member uses to tow/run of these machines, he paid 30,000 baht with it mounted on a trailer, payment over 2 years coz the previous owner (family) had had enough of the threshing game...

I thought 15,000 bt was a bargain but your family member paying 30,000 bt with a trailer and PTO coupling sounds like a robbery depending on how big the cylinder is on it.

54 minutes ago, Cashboy said:

Thank yu for that link.

I had a look and not sure if same manufacturer but am confident that the HP reuired will not be much different.

I believe my machine is the 6ft model.

However I do not understand the huge discrepency between an engine driving it  ( 18 Hp) to a tractor driving it ( 85 HP ) 

Power.png.abc30d11318dcbb61596b6ff6a4b0c2d.png

I am also told a Kubota L3608 would be sufficient to power it by the leader of the village that operated it but that is only 36 HP.

So have to hope a Kubota L4018  (40 HP ) or L5018 (50 HP) tractor will be powerful enough.

When the machine was used on my farm on the old Isuzu lorry it seemed to be working effortlessly.

I'm not experienced with them but think it would come down to the gearing to maintain rotor speed under load. 

A tractor may have 540/1000 rpm pto at x amount of rev's

My grey market Kubota has a 4 speed pto gearbox.Don't know on new Kubota's.

Not sure what gearbox in the truck it's mounted on and what gear and rpm of engine.

A quick look at my DC-70g harvester 5 and half feet long rotor and think the rotor turns at about 1500 odd rpm at 2700 rpm with 70 horsepower

engine.Of course that also requires power for the hydrostatic drive.

1 hour ago, Cashboy said:

I intend to refurbish it as I have a welder and tools to be able to work on it.

Not sure if I shall need to buy a press to get the bearings out but sure I can find an engineering workshop with one.

Get yourself a ir heat gun to measure bearing and belt temps.

If it aint broke as they say.

2 hours ago, Cashboy said:

I thought 15,000 bt was a bargain but your family member paying 30,000 bt with a trailer and PTO coupling sounds like a robbery depending on how big the cylinder is on it.

yes 15 is cheap but it depends on how much profit it can make in one yr..... it could have been 25,000 baht im not sure it was a couple of years ago...  i do know that it is hard work running one of these units, ie labor,break downs when busy ect.... around us people have units like this that sit at home and they "thresh" it for free, ie they just get the straw for the milk cows ect.... still a good few threshing machines running around here plus all the kubuta combines that take alot of the work...

47 hp tractor off the pto is good(will work) for sure to run that sort of machine, the way i see them is weight, all those pully wheels and belts = weight,lots of weight, and lots to go wrong. you think of the cost for just 1 belt.....

bearing/ springs/steel axle ect. can all be bought locally at market towns...

if you need any bags for next year just aproach one of the many batagro pig farm around you (many new farms/plus all the extra new builds in the coming year) 

Archived