1st April 2007

Tarqin

Tarqin has been hearing for months that a massive crackdown on Pattaya was on the way commencing 1st April 2007.

Amongst other things falangs will be stopped in the streets and passports demanded. Copies of any kind will not be accepted and those not in possessing of both their original passport with valid visa will be carted off to the monkey house until it is all sorted out.

Further Thais bar and condo owners will be encouraged to report any falang they think may not have a valid visa.

Further non-Thai working girls are to be swept away and deported and any deals their bosses might have done are hereby moot.

Further bars will be viewed and any activity by a falang owner not holding a work permit, even picking up empty glasses and returning them to the bar will be seized upon and punished.

Sun up at 6am and Tarqin is going to proceed with caution over the next few days (although he won't get up until 4pm anyway).

Tarqin has been hearing for months that a massive crackdown on Pattaya was on the way commencing 1st April 2007.

Amongst other things falangs will be stopped in the streets and passports demanded. Copies of any kind will not be accepted and those not in possessing of both their original passport with valid visa will be carted off to the monkey house until it is all sorted out.

Further Thais bar and condo owners will be encouraged to report any falang they think may not have a valid visa.

Further non-Thai working girls are to be swept away and deported and any deals their bosses might have done are hereby moot.

Further bars will be viewed and any activity by a falang owner not holding a work permit, even picking up empty glasses and returning them to the bar will be seized upon and punished.

Sun up at 6am and Tarqin is going to proceed with caution over the next few days (although he won't get up until 4pm anyway).

I noticed April 1 as the date all this is supposed to take place. Is this your way of suggesting an April Fools Joke?

If it is, it's really not funny!

Mike :o

The OP may be referencing something that was posted on ThaiVisa several weeks ago, at least as regards possession of original passports. That post in turn may just have been the set up of a joke, but the first of the month (any month) and the first day of a calendar quarter would be a logical time to implement any new non-emergency policy.

Amongst other things falangs will be stopped in the streets and passports demanded. Copies of any kind will not be accepted and those not in possessing of both their original passport with valid visa will be carted off to the monkey house until it is all sorted out.Further Thais bar and condo owners will be encouraged to report any falang they think may not have a valid visa.

if they really do become this heavy-handed- it would make an interesting little topic on programs like " Fast-Track " on BBC world aimed at

Travelers - or CNN, Fox News etc. - then watch this place turn into a ghost town :o

Ya I'm here in Pattaya right now , lots of BIB everywhere and road blocks,I'm going to my hotel to get my passport right now :o

yup road blocks all over the place and at late times too, I've gone through 3 so far and not been stopped, looks to me like they are stopping more thais than falangs, perhaps a crackdown on guns and gangs, nice to see an effort in the right direction