'Rise of Skywalker' battles to $40 million domestic opening night

rooster59

'Rise of Skywalker' battles to $40 million domestic opening night

By Lisa Richwine

2019-12-20T182826Z_2_LYNXMPEFBJ1K3_RTROPTP_4_FILM-STAR-WARS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: The marquee at the Presidio Theater is seen before the opening of the final chapter of the Skywalker saga 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' in San Francisco, California, U.S. December 19, 2019. REUTERS/Kate Munsch

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The highly anticipated movie "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" collected $40 million in U.S. and Canadian ticket sales on its opening night, the fifth-highest debut of all time, Walt Disney Co <DIS.N> said on Friday.

Longtime fans of the celebrated science-fiction franchise packed theaters Thursday evening for the ninth installment in the story of a fabled Jedi warrior in a galaxy far, far away.

In international markets, "Rise of Skywalker" brought in an additional $59.1 million, Disney said.

The debut in the United States and Canada, the world's latest film market, came in lower than the last two "Star Wars" films. "The Force Awakens," released in 2015, hauled in $57 million on its first night in theaters, and 2017 installment "The Last Jedi" took in $45 million.

The movie directed by J.J. Abrams is billed as the final episode in a 42-year-old film saga begun by George Lucas in 1977 and centered around a young hero named Luke Skywalker. The latest episode stars Daisy Ridley, John Boyega and Oscar Isaac as a trio taking up the fight against the evil First Order.

While "Rise of Skywalker" has divided critics, Disney said fans have embraced it. Eighty-six percent of ticket buyers surveyed by website Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie a positive score, Disney said.

At a theater in Hollywood, costumed fans turned out for a 24-hour marathon of all nine films.

"I started this when I was five, the adventure," moviegoer Mark Masaoay said. "And 42 years later here we are. It's been an amazing journey and just to be here with all the like-minded people, the fans, it just makes it all the more worthwhile."

By Sunday, "Rise of Skywalker" is expected to rank among the biggest openings of all time. "Force Awakens" went on to generate $248 million in ticket sales over its first weekend, while the "Last Jedi" took in $220 million.

The record for a Thursday night opening belongs to Disney's April release, "Avengers: Endgame," which pulled in $60 million in its debut on its way to $357 million for the weekend, also a record.

(Reporting by Lisa Richwine; Additional reporting by Rollo Ross; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and Richard Chang)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-12-21

4 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Every review I have seen has been negative. I don't care. I don't watch them anyway.

I spoke to a real person coming out of the cinema. He was positive, so I'm going anyway.

Reviewers often have different views on a movie that I do. I loved Elizabethtown which was panned by the critics.

BTW, although off topic, I have to say about being lucky enough to find a DVD of Tiger Bay, which was Haley Mills first movie made in 1959. Not a single iota of CG in the entire movie and it was brilliant. Well acted, had an actual plot and didn't rely on any one kicking anyone's ass or special effects.

Seems to me that film makers have been seduced into the dark side of CGI and special effects to the detriment of an actual story worth watching.

Pretty good. Bit wishy-washy and disjointed at times (too many new characters), but special effects exceptional (couple of the fight scenes awesome) and a fair bit of nostalgia thrown in. Those panning it are typically butt-hurt episode 4-6 puritans ????, which I can understand as I was in the cinema in '77. Without giving it away, Luke got good vibes, Rey appropriate background and did well I thought (god, she's hot), Palpatine comeback clever (previous poster being ironic). Look, no matter what was done, 7-9 are NEVER going to live up to the originals or assuage the diehard numpties.

Listen out for "Utini!"

I saw it last night in 3D. IMO I'd rather have seen it in 2D. IMO too much CGI and not enough plot. Far too PC for my taste and way too much effort put on strange looking creatures from around the galaxy. Some of it just didn't make sense, and again they had Jedi doing stuff Jedi can't do. That was my biggest complaint about the last one.

Most of the movie was acceptable, but the last 15 minutes or so was just garbage, IMO. As putting those <deleted> teddy bears in it- shoot the person that thought that was a good idea. Next time will Jar Jar Binks reappear?