General Anesthetic Dentist Chiang Mai

JeffersLos

On 12/24/2019 at 5:48 PM, ThaiBunny said:

Not only that, a doctor needs to monitor recovery from the anaesthetic. It's common for anaesthetists to use "speed" to reverse the effects of the general anaesthetic. A patient who has undiagnosed sleep apnea may require oxygen (happened to me twice)

I've never known a Dr to monitor recovery. That is the province of recovery NURSES. They keep the patient till they wake up, then send them to the ward, or if in outpatients to the lounge for a while before they can leave.

15 hours ago, FearAndLoathingInLOS said:

The minimum cost for GA is 100,000 THB,

Oh please. I had GA for a procedure in a private hospital in Lamphun and the entire thing, including GA and room overnight was way less than 100,000. I don't remember the exact amount but it was around 60,000 baht.

Perhaps you mean in Bumrungrad or some super expensive private hospital.

On 12/24/2019 at 3:21 PM, JeffersLos said:

Perhaps.

Due to a previous horrific experience, I wish to be unconscious for the procedure, if there's another medical way for that than GA, I'm happy to be educated. Cheers. 

Sedation is less dangerous than GA, but still requires an anesthetist. I had a facial procedure done under sedation and was quite happy. Bit like dreaming while awake. They'd still have to give local though.

• Thanks 1

Jeffers take it from someone who hates  dentists...............IV SEDATION you do  not need a GA for this, You can get IV sedation in Bangkok at only  ONE  place I  know of as thats where I go. Ive had this in the UK and Thailand for over 20  years.......ITS  GREAT

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sedation is less dangerous than GA, but still requires an anesthetist. I had a facial procedure done under sedation and was quite happy. Bit like dreaming while awake. They'd still have to give local though.

Ive found  it  nothing like dreaming, The dentist I use brings in a an Anesthetist from a  hospital who teaches   this  subject for a living in her  late 40's great English............. I usually have  a  drip in my arm here in Thailand and know nothing about whats  happened or  occasionally a  very VERY  vague moment of consciousness. Best stuff ever  invented............you MUST go with  someone to help you home , you  cannot drive or do anything after.

1 minute ago, Chazar said:

Ive found  it  nothing like dreaming, The dentist I use brings in a an Anesthetist from a  hospital who teaches   this  subject for a living in her  late 40's great English............. I usually have  a  drip in my arm here in Thailand and know nothing about whats  happened or  occasionally a  very VERY  vague moment of consciousness. Best stuff ever  invented............you MUST go with  someone to help you home , you  cannot drive or do anything after.

Depends on the individual, the drugs and the anesthetist. I was floating, but aware of what was going on. I could hear what the staff were saying in the room. For some procedures, the patient has to do what the surgeon asks them to do.

First thing I did after waking up properly was to thank the anesthetist for the good drugs she gave me- great buzz.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Depends on the individual, the drugs and the anesthetist. I was floating, but aware of what was going on. I could hear what the staff were saying in the room. For some procedures, the patient has to do what the surgeon asks them to do.

First thing I did after waking up properly was to thank the anesthetist for the good drugs she gave me- great buzz.

Must affect you differently, been  having it for 20  years...............best I can remember is usually coming round or some occasional comment by the dentist only once per  time...............bloody amazing stuff, in the Uk when they inject  the  drug  you get a huge rush of relaxation feeling going thru you and thats it, and then nothing, sometimes until a  few  hours  later  other times  maybe a  few minutes  after the procedure, depends  how  "deep"  they want you to be out of  it.

Yes  you do  have to  follow  instructions when "under"  but you are  not aware.....well in my case anyway.

Nitrous  Oxide gives you really weird  dreams but been 40  years since I had that.

Agreed  though it  sure  gives you a  great high!!

Edited by Chazar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh please. I had GA for a procedure in a private hospital in Lamphun and the entire thing, including GA and room overnight was way less than 100,000. I don't remember the exact amount but it was around 60,000 baht.

Perhaps you mean in Bumrungrad or some super expensive private hospital.

It's the price i was given by Dental World. No idea which hospital.

17 hours ago, FearAndLoathingInLOS said:

It's the price i was given by Dental World. No idea which hospital.

Perhaps that was for everything, not just the GA. If it is just the GA it's a rip off, IMO.

Why doesn't the OP just ask some hospitals what they charge.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

16 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I was in Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai.

4 nights stay. Private room.

GA. Endoscopy.

Total for everything, including meds - 70,000 THB

From what is likely the most expensive hospital in CNX

Very reasonable price if current.  When were you there?  Thanks.

On 12/24/2019 at 9:50 AM, elektrified said:

Yes, available in Thailand for certain types of cancer only.

It is available and widely used in hospitals for post operative pain and also during procedures.

It is outpatient use that is pretty well limited to termibal cancer. Short term inpatient no problem.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 9:22 PM, FearAndLoathingInLOS said:

try Kitcha, while not fully GA, the relaxing medicine will make you so relaxed you wont think about what the dentist is doing. And if you want they can also combine this withe NOS (gas). The medicine wont make you high, but just really relaxed, the gas may make you a little-bit high.

Thanks.

So far this sounds like the best place.

Medication to relax prior to the operation.

And then laughing gas during it. 

On 12/24/2019 at 9:22 PM, FearAndLoathingInLOS said:

About general anesthesia:

While general anesthesia is possible for tooth extraction,  it is not possible for things such as fillings, crowns and implants (you'll need those, down the road). Because you need to be conscious while the dentist drills them to fit your bite. And it's extremely expensive. The minimum cost for GA is 100,000 THB, you have ~32 tooth, that's ~3,2million baht.

The alternatives to GA:

Ram Hospital: Positive: Can do GA on site. Negative: While highly skilled mostly young and thus less experienced dentists (most that do well there, then go  ahead to open their own private clinics, can't blame them). Also doesn't do NOS (gas) (they told me because it's dangerous, lol). Doesn't offer any relaxing medicine to reduce anxiety before operation.

Dental World: Positive: Does NOS (gas), over 50 years old lots of experience. Negative:  doesn't offer any relaxing medicide to reduce anxiety before operation.

Kitcha Dental: Location: Saturday market (also known as chiang mai gate) head further west. Positive: Also offers NOS (gas), also lots of experience he's over 50 years old. Offers relaxing medicine before visit (xanax and a thai medicine i couldn't read, it worked really well).

My advice: try Kitcha, while not fully GA, the relaxing medicine will make you so relaxed you wont think about what the dentist is doing. And if you want they can also combine this withe NOS (gas). The medicine wont make you high, but just really relaxed, the gas may make you a little-bit high.

LOL where on earth did you get your information? Minimum cost for GA = 100,000 Baht? Anesthesiologists in Thailand charge on average 1,500 Baht per hour plus the cost of the drugs they use. I've been under a couple of times here and the cost was around 2,800-3,000 Baht for 30 minutes (C.M. Ram).

I would not recommend Kitcha but that is my opinion.

Edited by elektrified

• 5 months later...

I would recommend Kitcha.

Good work. Good place. I'm not sure what dose of NOS they gave me, but the 30 minute extraction was seemingly done in 5 minutes, the entire 5 minutes of which I was for some reason inside a Pearl Jam music video.

worked for me.