Us Tv In Thailand

SiamOrchids

The whole Sat TV idea is very confusing to me.

We're in Kanchanaburi.

I use TOT ADSL for my internet and I'm afraid that since the service is so spotty, Slingbox may be a frustrating experience.

We are willing to install a dish, size and cost is not a factor but I want what I want or I'll continue with UBC and continue to curse Thai TV.

If I can get a Dish Network from the US set up over here with a DVR, will a large dish pick up their signal ?

I think that my bottom line question is this:

Will a big dish and the right set top box get me access to satellites not normally available here in LOS ?

HELP !!!

Thanks

The TV satellites are in geosynchronous orbits. If you want to point a dish at a satellite providing service to the US, you'll discover an object blocking your line of sight: the Earth! :o

It's not straight down to point at the sky over the US from here, but close enough... (I guess some part of Central America or the Carribean is straight down from here). You need to get a satellite setup that is appropriate for picking up the satellites pointing down on Asia instead...

Take a look at this webpage , its shows the satellites you can receive here in Asia.

http://www.lyngsat.com/asia.html

Not only do you need a straight line of sight between your satellite disk and the satellite , you also need to be in its footprint , this is the area where its is focusing its signal on.

So for satellites above the USA >>> forget it :o

Edited by brianinbangkok

So if I see a satellite on Lyngsat that has an interesting line up of shows and we are in its footprint, what do I do at that point?.

Do I buy a set top box that can be programmed to receive the signal from that satellite ?

I assume that access is not free either, correct ? Cards are for sale from Lyngsat ?

If you have any experience with this whole process, can you please bring me up to speed?

Thanks

I lub Dish Network TV tu mutt.

as i prepare for my retirement in LOS what I think I will miss the most is Dish TV.

the 'free' / PBS like / free speach / education .. channel .. are so wonderful

& the sirrius radio ..

will miss!

I lub Dish Network TV tu mutt.

as i prepare for my retirement in LOS what I think I will miss the most is Dish TV.

the 'free' / PBS like / free speach / education .. channel .. are so wonderful

& the sirrius radio ..

will miss!

all of these things are on the internet. You will only miss thumbnow and thai69.com

>all of these things are on the internet. You will only miss thumbnow and thai69.com<

LOL! :o

I guess I must learn to use the ENTIRE internet properly ..

necessity is the mother ..

& I must learn to use the resources at keyboard as well as remote.

So if I see a satellite on Lyngsat that has an interesting line up of shows and we are in its footprint, what do I do at that point?.

Do I buy a set top box that can be programmed to receive the signal from that satellite ?

I assume that access is not free either, correct ? Cards are for sale from Lyngsat ?

If you have any experience with this whole process, can you please bring me up to speed?

Thanks

The lyngsat website as far as I know is just a website that provides information.

The site shows what you should be able to receive if you have a clear view around you house.

The site shows in color code what TV /Radio station is coded or free and on what band it is.

It also shows if its digital signal or analog system , some receivers have both systems.

The color codes are explained at the bottom of each page :o

For coded ones you need set top boxes and or cards you need to insert in your sat receiver that has special slots for these cards.

These cards or or decoding boxes you will need to buy for every channel you want to watch and you must hire them (yearly payment) directly from that TV channel company.

You can find the webpage of the TV channels by clicking on the companies symbol on the lyngsat page , click on satellite then on TV channel symbol.

"clear" means FREE no decoder needed.

Different bands mean you need more then one LNB in your disk outside , also C band requires a big dish. 2.4 meter and up.

If you need watch more then one satellite you will need a motorized system.

You will need a clear view from East to West as all comercial satelites are on "one line" above the equator.

A Tree will block out a satellite signal...

In Thailand there are a few companies that sell complete motorized Free To Air systems for C band , just add the LNB for Ku band and a LNB switch.

The combination Ku / C and LNB from PSISAT is not a good choice !

Companies that sell this are:

PSISAT http://www.psisat.com/index_en.php that has dealers all over Thailand.

INFOSAT http://www.infosats.com/main.html beter quality receivers IMHO.

SAMART http://www.samart-eng.com/

The dealers will also do the installation for you and set up the standard satellites we can receive here in Thailand.

The PSISAT receiver I had needed repairs a couple of times and the software in it was bad regular "blue screens" but this may have improved in newer models.

I replaced it with a "Humax" from Europe but needed a "driver" box from INFOSAT to move the dish as the motorized systems in Europe and Thailand are not the same.

Most people I know just get UBC/True satellite direct to home system as this is easier for them and also gives them English language channels.

Edited by brianinbangkok

if the internet would ever get fast enough in thailand, a slingbox would be great. However, check the requirements on the upload for a decent picture. even cable internet is not really fast enough uploading from the u.s.. I wonder if anyone has experience with slingbox and could enlighten all of us.