Extending 30 day entry stamp...

Hi, i'm a Brit who has entered Thailand on a 30 Day Entry Stamp.

Just need some clarification. I have heard there have been quite a few rule changes at immigration recently and it's been a few years since i extended one of these things. Can i still rock up to immigration, fill out the form and get another 30 days?

Staying downtown Bangkok, do i have to go to Chang Wattana?

Any idea of cost?

Thanks in advance

19 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

What’s a tm30?

cheers

A tm30 is a report usually done by hotel when you arrive. It has zero (normally) consequences for tourists. Most would not even know what it is. 

Having said that if you attend immigration for and extension of permission of stay to a visa exempt 30 day entry or setv, imm can ask for tm30. 

I would ask your hotel if they did one. If yes,  ask for print out and take along to immigration.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

A tm30 is a report usually done by hotel when you arrive. It has zero (normally) consequences for tourists. Most would not even know what it is. 

Having said that if you attend immigration for and extension of permission of stay to a visa exempt 30 day entry or setv, imm can ask for tm30. 

I would ask your hotel if they did one. If yes,  ask for print out and take along to immigration.

Thanks and if they didn’t do one, there’s a chance I wouldn’t get my extension?

6 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Several months back CW imm were imposing a fine. Often 800baht. 

Things have calmed down and haven't heard recent reports. I did my annual extension at CW in Oct. Took along a TM30 receipt. It was not looked at. As I mentioned just ask your current hotel if they did a tm30. Worse case is they would make you do tm30 prior to issue of extension. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Several months back CW imm were imposing a fine. Often 800baht. 

Things have calmed down and haven't heard recent reports. I did my annual extension at CW in Oct. Took along a TM30 receipt. It was not looked at. As I mentioned just ask your current hotel if they did a tm30. Worse case is they would make you do tm30 prior to issue of extension. 

Thanks for all the answers 

If hotel didn’t do one, as they are required to by law then immigration might make you do one at CW. They might fine you too. No other consequences as far as I know. I’d try and pass the cost of the fine back to the hotel.

18 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

I wouldn't worry if I were you. You are here as a tourist and it's not your responsibility to even think about the TM30 report. Immigration knows this. It's another matter if you're an expat here on long stay. 

I went to CW last week 11/18 to do my first ever visa exempt extension (need copy of passport first page, copy of departure card and stamp in passport, a photo and 1900Bt). 

Copies and photo can be done nearby in same building. 

Have been staying at my own newly bought condo and had not yet registered myself as owner (TM 30) nor reported myself as occupant.  I came prepared to pay a fine.

The last day of the visa was 11/19 so I left myself 1 additional day (had wanted to leave myself 2) in case needed.  

Went to the desk to get a queue number for each task: register condo and extend visa exempt.

The woman told me to go to extension first because registration/TM30 would be much longer wait.

I asked, wouldnt it be better if I registered myself first so that extension clerk might see the registration and reporting of me, the foreigner?

She replied, dont worry, not serious.

I did as told.  No problem of any kind.  No fine.  No mention of anything.  Registration and extension completed in a timely fashion.   Very efficient system.  I showed up at 11 (late I know) having taken bus 166 from victory - took the highway, little traffic, 40B I think.  Just have to know when its due to arrive at bus stop so you dont wait a long time, then add 10 min since the bus is late.  The Thai name for immigration is: rah cha gahn.

Extension completed before lunch.  Everyone off work for an hour, 12-1.  Back at 1, finished registration by 2.

Bus back to victory - arrived before 3!!

On a side note:   I had downloaded the reporting app on my phone and asked for help with registering online.  Was told cannot because account is from another country.  (Didnt understand that)  Asked if I wanted to switch it to thailand i replied no, since I didnt know the consequences.  No problem, can just use the website online.

Wasnt sure if this was a good enough update to post by itself so ended up adding it here.  Someone let me know if I should do more.   Thanks to Ubonjoe and others for their help.

Edited by Harveyg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harveyg said:

I went to CW last week 11/18 to do my first ever visa exempt extension (need copy of passport first page, copy of departure card and stamp in passport, a photo and 1900Bt). 

Copies and photo can be done nearby in same building. 

Have been staying at my own newly bought condo and had not yet registered myself as owner (TM 30) nor reported myself as occupant.  I came prepared to pay a fine.

The last day of the visa was 11/19 so I left myself 1 additional day (had wanted to leave myself 2) in case needed.  

Went to the desk to get a queue number for each task: register condo and extend visa exempt.

The woman told me to go to extension first because registration/TM30 would be much longer wait.

I asked, wouldnt it be better if I registered myself first so that extension clerk might see the registration and reporting of me, the foreigner?

She replied, dont worry, not serious.

I did as told.  No problem of any kind.  No fine.  No mention of anything.  Registration and extension completed in a timely fashion.   Very efficient system.  I showed up at 11 (late I know) having taken bus 166 from victory - took the highway, little traffic, 40B I think.  Just have to know when its due to arrive at bus stop so you dont wait a long time, then add 10 min since the bus is late.  The Thai name for immigration is: rah cha gahn.

Extension completed before lunch.  Everyone off work for an hour, 12-1.  Back at 1, finished registration by 2.

Bus back to victory - arrived before 3!!

On a side note:   I had downloaded the reporting app on my phone and asked for help with registering online.  Was told cannot because account is from another country.  (Didnt understand that)  Asked if I wanted to switch it to thailand i replied no, since I didnt know the consequences.  No problem, can just use the website online.

Wasnt sure if this was a good enough update to post by itself so ended up adding it here.  Someone let me know if I should do more.   Thanks to Ubonjoe and others for their help.

The guy meant changing your location in your phone to Thailand. If you're staying here long term there's no point having wrong location in Play Store,because you can't download apps you might need when staying here. And even the registration can fail. 

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The guy meant changing your location in your phone to Thailand. If you're staying here long term there's no point having wrong location in Play Store,because you can't download apps you might need when staying here. And even the registration can fail. 

Ok.  Fair enough.  For some reason the issue hasnt come up in 10 years.  Stayed about 9 mos/year as employed.

So youre saying theres no bad consequence of me changing my location to Thailand and then back if necessary.  No consequence to other apps like whatsapp, line, etc?