Thais warned to prepare for intense drought conditions

webfact

On 12/25/2019 at 8:02 AM, robblok said:

Still rice farmers taking water that is meant for everyone and thereby cutting off water production to drink is just criminal and selfish. 

As for all those OAP's that hate songkran and every year complain about it and think it wastes a lot of water are out of touch. It might be a few liters per person. Does not come near what farmers and industry use. 

I have no problem with Songkran, i dont participate as im usually busy around that time but enjoyed it at Khaosarn before. In the gated village i might get wet.. oh wow.. such a disaster. 

Sure you better avoid tourist area's but besides that its not too bad. 

Only a few litres per person? Really? When I used to play a couple of years ago we had 2 x 200 litre barrels that were filled 2 or 3 times a day for 4 or 5 days, and that was just one pickup truck. There were hundreds of thousands of pickups all over Thailand, not to mention fire trucks and people static by the roadside it wastes hundreds of millions of litres of water every year and the sad thing is that it doesn't represent Songkran at all. Just like Xmas in the west doesn't represent what Xmas is all about.

quote Sure you better avoid tourist area's but besides that its not too bad.

You obviously don't travel about much in Thailand if you believe that. When we used to go to Khampaeng Phet the 1 km stretch along the river bank took over an hour to drive along. To be fair there were safe areas where you could park up for a break and be left alone.

I used to play at Songkran most years from 1994 until about 2015. I have seen several accidents where people have been knocked of motorbikes and injured. One girl I used to know in the late 1990s was hit by a big lump of ice thrown in water from a pickup and she died after 4 days in hospital.

On 12/25/2019 at 8:03 AM, robblok said:

Too many OAP's here who don't know anything about fun. I hope i never get like that. 

Ah the voice of experience from one so young

Most OAPs had fun in their lives long before you were born and some of us still do thoufg most of us use common sense nowadays.

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Only a few litres per person? Really? When I used to play a couple of years ago we had 2 x 200 litre barrels that were filled 2 or 3 times a day for 4 or 5 days, and that was just one pickup truck. There were hundreds of thousands of pickups all over Thailand, not to mention fire trucks and people static by the roadside it wastes hundreds of millions of litres of water every year and the sad thing is that it doesn't represent Songkran at all. Just like Xmas in the west doesn't represent what Xmas is all about.

quote Sure you better avoid tourist area's but besides that its not too bad.

You obviously don't travel about much in Thailand if you believe that. When we used to go to Khampaeng Phet the 1 km stretch along the river bank took over an hour to drive along. To be fair there were safe areas where you could park up for a break and be left alone.

I used to play at Songkran most years from 1994 until about 2015. I have seen several accidents where people have been knocked of motorbikes and injured. One girl I used to know in the late 1990s was hit by a big lump of ice thrown in water from a pickup and she died after 4 days in hospital.

Ah the voice of experience from one so young

Most OAPs had fun in their lives long before you were born and some of us still do thoufg most of us use common sense nowadays.

Even at 100 liters per person it does not come close to what farmers use. So the whole conservation issue is a non issue.

I travel enough in my area and its never that bad. I guess you are a bit sensitive because of your old age. I often see this with older people they change their views and like to ban fun stuff for others. As they grow older they grow more fun killing. I really hope i never turn sour like that. So far I have resisted becoming like that. 

Yes there are some accidents but there are accidents always. I too have seen stupid people causing accidents but that is not a reason to ban all Songkran. That is like saying we should ban alcohol as it causes drunk driving (bet most OAPs would cry murder then i mean that attacks their fun).

Sorry I really get a bit bored with the older guys who seem to want to kill what fun the Thais have. Thais seem to love it and its their country and some sour OAPs should accept how it is. 

I don't participate in Songkran as it is not what i like anymore. But i respect the Thais and their ways unlike the older generation that seem to want to change Thailand in something that suits them best instead of adapting. I know the older one gets the less flexible in mind and ways one is. So it makes sense that they react as they do.

Maybe you should look back at how you used to be and think how you would have reacted of an OAP had told you what to do. 

I don't have anything against OAP's, just a problem with the inflexible songkran / Thai haters. My dad is in his 70ies and still knows how to make fun. He is my example. He loves water throwing and teasing a bit. Besides if you don't want to participate you can lock yourself in your house why spoil it for others ?

If people want to change songkran will change.. let the majority decide.

Edited by robblok
  • Sad 1

On 12/24/2019 at 3:27 AM, dcnx said:

No one including the government will prepare. 

I recall a story from 2016. The head of the water resources Dept (whatever it's called), inspected one of the worst affected dams in the country. His local chief asked for advice, to which the Head of Thailand's water resources responded: "I have a feeling it will rain and save the day".

Wonderful.  This, ladies and gentlemen, is what happens when your country is corrupt and you allow (or encourage) huge amounts of your money to trickle upwards, never to be seen again in the execution of anything worthwhile for the Thai people. Lambs to the slaughter by those people to whom you paid copious amounts of greng-jai and misplaced respect.

Enjoy the fruits of your choice of leaders. Will you learn from it? Nope. Will you learn anything? Nope. Will your life improve over time while the pigs have their snouts in the trough full of your money? Answers on a postcard please.

Talk about shooting yourself in both feet. Som nam na.

Edited by ParkerN

On 12/26/2019 at 2:33 PM, robblok said:

Even at 100 liters per person it does not come close to what farmers use. So the whole conservation issue is a non issue.

If those that state it is a waste of water wanted to prove the fact? they can look at the reservoir levels on "thaiwater" website before Songkran and after the event, I have in the past, there is no difference, its just a mere "drop in the ocean" as you rightly state!

Let them have their fun, there's little enough joy in their lives having to tolerate the current government! ????

• Sad 1