กุย (ส่วย) dictionary

Nokawou

I recently acquired a Kui - Thai - English dictionary from the University of Leiden in the Netherlands. Kui is a language derived from Khmer and spoken by about 400 000 people in the Surin/ Buriram/ Sisaket provinces of Isaan. This is my wife's home language and is a mayor irritant for me as it is completely different from central Thai and I (and any other Thai) cannot understand a single word. The dictionary reference is --- Kui (Suai)-Thai-English dictionary Sriwises, Prasert; Theraphan L. Thongkum.; Gainey, Jerry W.
[Bangkok] : Indigenous Languages of Thailand Research Project, Chulalongkorn University Language Institute 1978. --- I have scanned it and am planning to create a abbreviated word list removing the IPA transliteration as I do not know IPA and I do not do transliterations so it will be a กุย-ไทย-English word list. This will be a big piece of work (435 pages) and if it has been done already by someone on this forum then I do not want to duplicate the work.  My current Thai is rather basic but I can read, write, touch type and speak a bit and this is just something I want to have when we are visiting family to keep me busy (very boring when you cannot follow the conversation). I cannot find any sources on the internet on Kui except in the "Josua Project" indicating it is a dying language, it has such a low social status that my wife does not want to include it in her CV this off course does not prevent me from trying to learn a few basic phrases and words!

Archived