Tesco Lotus offers bags for life to end plastic use

webfact

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

In France where I was living 14 years ago, I used my big backpack to carry what I bought .

I still have it ; it 's very solid ..

I'll use it when going to Lotus next year .

I have buy 5 years ago Thailand one bag very strong I put  full one trolley on my scooter.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thoose who opt for the "Bag of Life" can exchange their bags when they are worn out for a new ones at the branch where they bought them from, free of charge.

Made from recycled plastic, and recycles again – great idea and move...????

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Why would your landlord have to supply you with plastic bags so you can throw your rubbish out in ?

well, the maids replace the plastic bags

when they carry out the garbage,

and give me backup bags as needed

when i dont have enough plastic bags

from foodland etc to replace them at the rate i need to carry out the garbage

Edited by brokenbone

3 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

well, the maids replace the plastic bags

when they carry out the garbage,

and give me backup bags as needed

when i dont have enough plastic bags

from foodland etc to replace them at the rate i need to carry out the garbage

Still not seeing why its your landlords issue.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brokenbone said:

the main issue remain:

how am i going to carry out the trash from my condo without large plastic bags ?

the only difference this ban of bag does,

is that i dont get the bag necessary to

carry out the trash when i buy food,

instead i have to buy separate plastic bags,

or in case of my serviced condo,

the landlord has to provide me with more

plastic bags equal to the plastic bags

i no longer get at foodland/big c

Do you have a balcony? Just burn the garbage there. Get with the culture. Never mind the neighbours.

• Haha 1

brokenbone has a point ^

I have been not taking the bags whenever possible and using the cloth (and plastic) reusable bags and now my bag of rubbish bags has been reduced to now 4 bags left

which means that I will have to go and buy more bags to bring the rubbish to the big plastic bin outside.

so I will be the one buying the bags to put in the bin instead of 7-eleven (or whichever). so the big shops save money, I spend more and the end results are the same (since I was using reusable bags already)

to be honest, 7-eleven should also stop actively giving plastic straws with every single bottle of anything you get along with spoons, forks or plastic containers of sauce. people can pick one up if needed.

Edited by kekalot

9 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

In France where I was living 14 years ago, I used my big backpack to carry what I bought .

I still have it ; it 's very solid ..

I'll use it when going to Lotus next year .

are backpacks even allowed in Tesco Lotus? in Makro where it's like airport security you have to leave your bags outside well clear of the tills

8 hours ago, gmac said:

It's all very well and commendable that the supermarkets are doing this but what about the ordinary markets where Thai's do most of their food shopping.  How do you get rid of the plastic bags there?

This is a voluntary thing by the big retail companies, it's still another year before it is LAW in 2021 for other shops. I think by then people will have got used to the idea, don't you ? Apart from that, wet foods have been excepted from the ban so you will still get your fly-infested fish and meat in a bag. As for vegetables and the like, you do realise that markets were here before plastic bags ? I'm sure grandma can show them how to carry a basket or a cloth bag, just like she did when she was younger.

Edited by MikeN
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Chazar said:

More  BS 

1  recycled  plastic  still waste  of  time and 

2 Why  not  make them FREE  for the first  time instead  of cashing in.

3  Why  not  make them from something else

Either  way the whole  things a farce  why dont they just ban ALL  plastic  in ALL things because plastic  bags is the absolute miniscule  tip of  the world  biggest iceberg and again they dont  target peoples  laziness (dumping where they want especially THAIS) and their  own in their inability to dispose of/recycle  correctly.

Theres  NOTHING worng  with plastic, the problem is disposal and use, plastic has made  the modern world  what it  is

They're not cashing in, buy one and exchange for free, if they didn't charge for an initial bag, the majority would expect a free bag everytime they shopped - so very reasonable approach - as to wether it should be plastic or some other material is debatable - but it's a step forward. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Been doing this in England for 15 years and Thai's just copying it but they will claim it's their 'new innovative ' idea after looking around and finding cloth bags are too expensive !

Another "hub". 

9 hours ago, Oxx said:

Tesco-Lotus clearly hasn't learned from the experience in the UK where the introduction of thicker, reusable bags has actually increased the amount of plastic used overall.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50579077

And did the amount of recycled "recyclable" plastic also increase? 

Edited by Artisi

8 hours ago, HHTel said:

It's not so much the amount of plastic used, but the disposal of them.

It appears that customers, because they are so cheap, are disposing of them in the general waste which is not what was envisaged.

Correct, the charge should be substantial so people will think twice about throwing them out, and reuse which is the idea. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

No signs in 7 Eleven about no bags 1st Jan, i asked the assistant and she didn't have a scooby doo

Probably why she works in 7/11.  I take that back, an unkind comment.  It's more likely that she didn't understand a word you were saying.

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Big C needs to reduce the size of their bags used for loose food such as fruit, veg and meat. They are ridiculously big. I could buy one onion but the bag could easily handle 20

I went to Big C in Amnat Charoen on 26 Dec.  They had zero, nil, none, bags so I had all the items loose in a shopping cart.  I suppose they have never heard of paper bags!  Forcing shoppers to purchase bags seems to be another scam by big business.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

How many plastic bags full of plastic bags do you have at home?

after the maids replaced the bags in the trash cans with new ones,

i ask for an additional 5 plastic bags, that together

with the plastic bags i get from 7/foodland/big c

will see me through the next 3 days until

the maids comes back, rinse and repeat

Edited by brokenbone

14 hours ago, HHTel said:

Probably why she works in 7/11.  I take that back, an unkind comment.  It's more likely that she didn't understand a word you were saying.

But you didn't "take that back," did you? Otherwise, you simply could have deleted the comment or even come back and edited it out within ten minutes. But you wanted to leave a nasty slur about someone you think you're superior to while claiming that you weren't. Crucify her on a bag of plastic, why don't you. Might make you feel even more superior and good about your hysteria over plastic.

• Like 2

I didn't delete that comment to show that I do actually make a hurtful/bad comment from time to time and that I recognise it.  Of course I could have deleted it but that would be less than honest.

Nothing about superiority at all.  Just an ill thought out comment which I recognised as such and publicly withdrew it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, HHTel said:

I didn't delete that comment to show that I do actually make a hurtful/bad comment from time to time and that I recognise it.  Of course I could have deleted it but that would be less than honest.

Nothing about superiority at all.  Just an ill thought out comment which I recognised as such and publicly withdrew it.

No compounded with virtue signalling. 

• Confused 1

On 12/27/2019 at 6:36 AM, Chazar said:

More  BS 

1  recycled  plastic  still waste  of  time and 

2 Why  not  make them FREE  for the first  time instead  of cashing in.

3  Why  not  make them from something else

Either  way the whole  things a farce  why dont they just ban ALL  plastic  in ALL things because plastic  bags is the absolute miniscule  tip of  the world  biggest iceberg and again they dont  target peoples  laziness (dumping where they want especially THAIS) and their  own in their inability to dispose of/recycle  correctly.

Theres  NOTHING worng  with plastic, the problem is disposal and use, plastic has made  the modern world  what it  is

Because if they are free people will just come and get new bags every time they go shopping. 

I agree that businesses are going to make a huge saving therefore an increase in the bottom line.

This from Australia:

“There are costs beyond just the bags themselves, such as the costs associated with sourcing and negotiating with packaging suppliers, procuring them, shipping and warehousing them, and distributing them to stores only to then give them away.

“Supermarket margins are already feeling the strain of price deflation. These businesses are generally making less than 6 cents in the dollar, so the opportunity to phase out this cost certainly makes good business sense.”

Dr Mortimer estimated Coles and Woolworths previously gave away a combined 5.7 billion bags a year at 3 cents per bag, working out to a total cost of $171 million. Under the new scheme, he predicts they will use just 1.18 billion of the heavier bags at a cost of $106.1 million.

However, the consequential benefit for the environment can't be ignored.  Indeed, the added incentive to businesses to ban the issue of single use bags encourages retailers to remove them from the market.