Practicing Buddhist

sbk

I get alot of people who ask me, after having been married so long to a Thai, if I am a practicing Buddhist.

Which brought me to ponder the question, is there such a thing? What does it mean? We all have a pretty good idea what it means to be a practicing Christian or Muslim, but does the same definition apply to Buddhism? Can it?

My husband considers himself a Buddhist but he rarely, if ever, goes to the temple. He has been a monk, briefly, many years ago. But, if you ask if tries to live by the Buddhist ideals, then I'd have to say, yes, he does try. Does this make him more Buddhist than his mother, who goes to temple regularly but doesn't really seem to follow many of the ideas of right behavior?

So, does anyone here have a definition? Does anyone feel they are a practicing Buddhist?

BTW, just to answer the original question, no, I am not a Buddhist, not a Christian, pretty much a nothing at all :o

The term Buddhist is used for a really wide variety of people with a real wide variety of practices (or lack thereof)....so it would seem rather narrow minded to try to say anything about all of them....even the organized Buddhist organizations have a hard time defining just what they have in common and the list of what they agree on is very short...and frankly deals with things that most Buddhists don't even think about too much....so its probably not very meaningful to try to describe what a practicing Buddhist is unless you just want to find out what view a particular person has about Buddhism....all this is only my opinion of course.

Chownah

My understanding of a Buddhist is someone who has taken refuge in the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha. I refer to myself as a Buddhist but at the end of the day this term is probably not that important. I have not reached any high level of attainment in Buddhism so still tend to hold onto labels I try and follow the teachings of the Buddha and maybe eventually the words will have less importance.

Which brought me to ponder the question, is there such a thing? What does it mean? We all have a pretty good idea what it means to be a practicing Christian or Muslim, but does the same definition apply to Buddhism? Can it?

The term "practice" is used in Buddhist circles a lot, particularly western Buddism, to mean meditation. So in my view a "practicing Buddhist" is one who follows the Buddhas example and meditates a lot and is actively trying to uproot suffering in his/her own life. Wheras I'd probably call a Buddhist who just goes to the temple a "religious Buddhist", oe one that just gives food and money a "supporting Buddhist".

Whether that conforms to a secular definition of practicing anything I'm not sure.

Yes I consider myself a practicing Buddhist, there are a lot out there, though a lot of westerners like me would more likely consider themselves a "practicing meditator" or "practicing the spiritual path".

Sounds like your husband is a "practicing nice guy".

Sounds like in certain instances the term "practicing buddhist" could be used skillfully to point out one's devotion to the path. On the contrary, it could in other instances point out deeply rooted spiritual pride to distinguish oneself from the other "non-practicing buddhists". Very much like when one says they are a fundamentalist Christian or a devout Hindu, it could in some instances be used to be derrogatory against the other Christians who have lost the fundamentals or the Hindus who aren't devout, in one's opinion.

I think a layperson can fairly call themselves a practicing Buddhist if they

* take refuge in the triple gem (which includes supporting the community of monks/temple. This is significant)

* stick with the five precepts

* regularly practice meditation

All relative to their individual (karmic?) development.

Edited by Grover

Yes, of course there are varying definitions but if you look at the original teachings of the Buddha it is prettuy clear what practicing these teachings consists of. (Following a code of morality, striving to develop and practice compassion, striving to develop mastery over one's mind and insight into the true nature of reality -- i.e. striving towards enlightenment).

However, practicing what the Buddha taught is one thing, practice of Buddhism as a religion is another (although I think it is possible to do both). The religious practice (going to temple etc) was not taight by or advocating by the Buddha and indeed it is highly debatable whether Buddha ever intended a religion to be founded in his name. But human nature being what it is, a religion sprang up, complete with the trappings common to most religions.

I usually say that I am (quite imperfectly) practice Buddhism, or Buddhist teachings, rather than that I am a Buddhist since, especially in Asia, the latter is taken to mind observance of rituals etc...

Nice answer Sheryl.

So, I guess my husband tries to practice what the Buddha taught (except for meditation, which he does not practice) but he doesn't follow the rituals, nor go to temple. He likes to say that Buddha taught that you should believe what you can see with your own eyes, not believe what someone else tells you you should. And that, he does follow.

Hard to come up with a definition that everyone would agree with. Most Abhidhammists I know, for example, would not consider meditation to be a prerequisite, nor would some in the Aj Chah forest tradition.

Most Thais would probably say that if you've verbally taken refuge in the Triple Gems, you are a Buddhist. From that perspective it's not that different from those who think that declaring 'There is no God but Allah' makes you a Muslim or 'I accept Jesus Christ as my saviour' makes you a Christian.

the eight fold path is authorative and practical.

as far as practicing it goes, it can be divided into sila (morality - precepts) and meditation (concentration and mindfulness).

IMO anyone who sincerely practices the eightfold path can be called a "practicing Buddhist".

//edit: and "takes refuge in the triple gem".

Edited by Grover

And, to those who answered the question, do you consider yourselves Buddhist? I mean, I know its not something you "convert" to like Islam or Christianity or Judaiism. But, I imagine, if you follow the tenets and consider yourself a "practicing Buddhist" there comes a time in your life when, if people ask, you might tell them you are a Buddhist. Do you?

And, to those who answered the question, do you consider yourselves Buddhist? I mean, I know its not something you "convert" to like Islam or Christianity or Judaiism. But, I imagine, if you follow the tenets and consider yourself a "practicing Buddhist" there comes a time in your life when, if people ask, you might tell them you are a Buddhist. Do you?

Noone has asked. When I have offered the information for one reaon or another I usually say that I guess I'm a Buddhist in that it seems to me that the Buddha taught some good stuff and I've been trying to put it into practice.

Chownah

When I get asked what religion I am, without hesitation I say Buddhist.

I never formally made a decision to become Buddhist, I didn't wake up one morning and decided to become Buddhist, and although I was extremely impressed with the teachings of the Buddha when I first encountered them, my confidence in them, the practice and the triple gem grew over time to the point where I felt I could comfortably and sincerely call myself Buddhist.

His teachings are, after all, the best :o

I consider myself a buddhist. This is based on my studying and participating in the path shown me by buddhist teachers and the teachings. I respect all faiths and see much in them in common with my own. I don't see buddhism as necessarily better than any other religion or path.

I consider myself a buddhist. This is based on my studying and participating in the path shown me by buddhist teachers and the teachings. I respect all faiths and see much in them in common with my own. I don't see buddhism as necessarily better than any other religion or path.

I am now rather loathe to call myself a Buddhist as it tends to "fix" one with an "identity" and what's more is self-limiting. More stuff to get rid of at some stage. I certainly tend towards it however.

As for your last two sentences I'd agree that the "perennial philosophy", or truth you might say, seems to have regularly risen in different ages, different cultures, and different places, and then always started being labelled as different religions. This is usually the stage when it tends to start getting obscured by hogwash pretty fast. That's the time to run for the bus.

I'd have to say however I see the Buddha's directness and teaching far superior to most. I think that generally it IS better.

Edited by reasonstobecheerful

Hi SBK,

I would say i was born a buddhist, although i was raised and received katholic indoctrine for the first 12 years of my life. I even was a altar boy when i was 12 doing latin services on sunday, i soon realized that this was not equal to the religous feeling i had inside. I was merely a theatre show performed in group to confirm to a communal identity. soon after church everyone was back to their old devious selves again :D

I instantly broke off my catholic upbringing causing untold problems with my mother who was also brought up a strict catholic. when i refused to go to church , she didn't speak to me for three weeks :o

I've had a longing for Asia since i was a child , and went there through a job on a cruiseship when i was 21. When i arrived in thailand i immediatly felt at home. Now twenty years later other things have unfolded and i can say i've had several inclinations of lives in Asia before. As such i would consider myself a buddhist , leaning more to zen buddhism then to the other brands.

But i'm as unfamiliar with the religous/ceremonial aspects of buddhism as the ones from muslims, catholics etc... i also see the same pitfalls in the religous branding in buddhism as i did in catholicism. For the masses it's still: "my parents thought me to behave in a certain way, so i do this , and indoctrinate my children."

It has nothing to do with spirituality or buddhism in particular. Indeed "Buddha" probably didn't mean to start a religion. I would not even describe buddhism as a "PATH" as it implies you need to ascetain a certain goal. It only provides you yet again with another identity, "i'm a buddhist student/teacher"

The hard thing is to put this concept i feel into words, closest thing would be: " "

DK

I spent a short time as a monk in Thailand, and was surprised that once while sitting there with a shaven head, wearing robes, I was asked by another monk, who was even present at my ordination ceremony, if I was a Christian!

I spent a short time as a monk in Thailand, and was surprised that once while sitting there with a shaven head, wearing robes, I was asked by another monk, who was even present at my ordination ceremony, if I was a Christian!

I get that all the time from Thais, even though it's obvious I'm practicing Buddhism.

I think they think everyone in the West goes to church, possibly it's because their knowledge of western culture is mostly US oriented.

I get that all the time from Thais, even though it's obvious I'm practicing Buddhism.

I think they think everyone in the West goes to church, possibly it's because their knowledge of western culture is mostly US oriented.

Well, I have to tell you my husband was absolutely flabbergasted when I first told him I was a nothing. He couldn't understand it, "everybody is something" he said. I explained my upbringing to him and he understood (sort of) and then, when we told his parents we were getting married, they asked, "what religion is she". Well, he tried to explain but I am sure they didn't really get it. By the time we got married and I had to mark religion on the form, I just marked Christian. I told my husband, "Well, I am from the US and it is basically a Christian culture (ie based on Christian values in a really broad sort of way), so I guess I am sort of Christian but that is as close as I'll get" :o

But I think my husband takes his Buddhist beliefs and background far more seriously than I do mine.

Something his father said once about someone becoming a monk to help them learn better behavior (can't remember what the problem was at the time, sorry). "If he doesn't know it by now, he's not going to learn it in there any better". Kinda made me wonder where his dad stood with the whole thing. I think both of them go along with the rituals associated with local temples, but don't put much stock in them. Rather, they practice their beliefs by showing their own attitudes and behaviors (my husband is very much like his father, just a bit more tactful :D )