Travelling to Europe/UK with Cash from car sale

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I was fortunate enough to sell my car last week.  I will be returning to the UK next week and would prefer to bring the cash from the sale home with me.

I sold the car for 850,000 baht so will have that exchanged to £ in Bangkok - which is around £22,000.  This is £13,500 over the £8500 non-declare limit for the UK.  I'm more than happy to delcare this money when I arrive.

I'm just wondering what I need to bring with me to declare this?  i.e. proof of ownership or the car, receipt of sale, etc?

I'm actually staying for one night in Amsterdam, so I will need to exit the airport so will need to declare this money in Holland.   The UK HRMC website states you don't need to declare cash when arriving from another European country such as Holland - so I'm assuming I'll only need to declare it when I arrive in Holland?

I'm just wondering if anyone here has been through the process of declaring cash when travelling?

Thanks in advance.  JB.

Yes, and also a receipt from the Currency Exchange.

Your financial institution in the UK might also need to be shown those receipts to assuage their righteous fit as you make a large cash-deposit.  So perhaps, 2/3 financial institutions, days apart, atm feed might be the way to go.

Never a problem, just declare in both countries, just show sale of car receipt etc, you do not need fx currency exchange proof.  I regularly travel In and out of UK etc, with more than £20,000 for business use. It takes usually 2 minutes at arrival ports.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

Never a problem, just declare in both countries, just show sale of car receipt etc, you do not need fx currency exchange proof.  I regularly travel In and out of UK etc, with more than £20,000 for business use. It takes usually 2 minutes at arrival ports.

Thanks for the reply.  I can't make the night in Amsterdam unfortunately, so flying on via Schipol so will just be transiting - so no passing through customs there.  So will just need to delcare in the UK on arrival.

I'm guessing I just need to head to the nearest customs guy and explain the situation.  I have my original receipt for purchase of the car, proof of ownership and copy of the receipt when I sold the car.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

Never a problem, just declare in both countries, just show sale of car receipt etc, you do not need fx currency exchange proof. 

Yes, correct, everybody in Europa knows 850k Baht is around £22,000.

16 hours ago, maprao said:

What about when leaving Thailand?

Do you have to declare it?

Genuine question I dont know.

Yes, anything over USD 20k must be declared to Customs, failure to do so could see it confiscated if discovered.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/TH-Thailand-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maprao said:

This is the bit that worries  me declaring large sums of money to Thai customs

There have been many reports here on Thaivisa over the years of people declaring money to Customs and it's very straight forward, people do it all the time carrying large amounts so they are used to it. The key on both ends is to have the end to end paperwork with you, it's not what you might think it is.