Public Liability Insurance

GreasyFingers

Cover for Public Liability is generally included with other insurance policies, e.g. house, car/bike and business.

I have never liked insurance companies so avoid them where I can unless it is compulsory or high risk so the house is not insured. Thais do not appear to have the same litigious culture of many western countries.

We had an incident recently during house renovations where a cement truck brought down the electricity lines and one of the poles. We subsequently found out that the lines do not belong to the PEA but to us, and the poles are located on our land.There were no injuries in this instance but it made me think about the liability if there were an accident on our property.

Back home we could be held liable for an accident, so were wondering how many expats/wives that own property or have business premises are covered. If you have public liability insurance is it covered as part of another policy or a stand alone policy?

I have house insurance but the policy (as in the UK) is made up of separate sections. I pay for the buildings and contents parts but not the public liability, legal and contents away from the home. If I wanted those it would just be an added premium.

Archived