Masa harina (Where to find)

Swoop

For the last 3 years I have tried to buy Mexican style corn meal, or masa harina, but with no luck. When I thought I found a source and ran it down, they would tell me they quit or that I could  come to Bangcock and pick some up. I grew up in Arizona and was raised on Mexican food. I miss it terribly. I have reached the point where I am considering buying a mill for corn and making masa and also course ground corn meal for corn bread. I know you can get the meal at Yok but that's a long drive from Maesuai and a lot of time they are "out"!

Anyway, if I get the mill I would like to offer both items to any farang in the country who would like to make tortillas for tacos or chips, or tamales or even cornbread. I have made masa in the past when I was a cook in Arizona. I would be willing to send it to anyone interested via Thai post. At this point I would just like to see if there is any interest before I buy the mill.

If you think you might like to have a source for those 2 items, please let me know here.

Thanks for reading along.

Frank

Here's a different way to go...   Just tell a bunch of Thai neighbors you bought the mill and are making lots of money selling masa harina.  Pretty soon, you'll have tons of competition.  And all the masa harina you can eat.

I looked into making it for my own use, and just decided I didn't want it that badly.  I wasn't looking at it from a commercial standpoint.  But I think there would be a decent market selling it to venues like Villa and all the Mexican restaurants around the country. 

Nothing like fresh, deep fried tortilla chips.  Most that I found in Thailand -even at so-called Mexican restaurants- were pretty bad.  There are some decent brands of bagged chips available at Foodland, Villa, etc,  But I never checked to see if they were imported or local made- which would be another place to look for the ingredients.

The only place that I've ever seen proper masa in dough form in Chiang Mai was at Kasem store (the original shop, on Ratchawong, near the Chiang Moi intersection), but that was several years ago. As I recall, it was being supplied by a woman in San Sai, whose handmade tortillas were also available.

Maybe worth an inquiry?  https://goo.gl/maps/FtBQAky4VVyY7fsa6

I've got about ten kilos of P.A.N. precooked white cornmeal (harina de maiz, popular in Venezuela and Colombia), which will certainly do in a pinch! I could easily spare a few bags if you're interested?