Game lag

Inderpland

I'm playing an online game called World Of Tanks and occasionally (more and more it seems) I have problems with lag (like right now it's impossible to play). I have a 3BB 600/200 fiber connection using a LAN cable.

I'm using Ping Plotter to check the connection (ping and packet loss) to the server which is in Hong Kong but even when this is showing that all is well I can experience lag. I also use Task Manager to verify that no background programs are using all the memory and have tried turning off all virus and firewall shields as well as resetting my router. 3BB has been here many times and changed the router as well as some stuff outside the house but nothing helps.

My question is; are there more thing I could try before possibly changing the ISP?

PS. I have tried to bring up the subject of packet loss with the technicians who have come to my house but none of them have understood the term. This is very surprising as I would have thought this term would have been adopted into the Thai language or at least understood by a computer professional. Does anyone know the Thai words for this?

Edited by Inderpland

I've got the same 3BB connection (way out in the boonies) and play World of Tanks on it - never needed to turn off my firewall or virus protection. I notice that some games like League of Legends can play perfectly for weeks on end then one day I start getting random lag spikes up to 500ms ping. World of Warships never had any lag of any kind.

Do you always get the lag or is it just now and again?

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

I've got the same 3BB connection (way out in the boonies) and play World of Tanks on it - never needed to turn off my firewall or virus protection. I notice that some games like League of Legends can play perfectly for weeks on end then one day I start getting random lag spikes up to 500ms ping. World of Warships never had any lag of any kind.

Do you always get the lag or is it just now and again?

It comes and goes but it's getting more frequent. I've been told that it probably is caused by many people using the internet at the same time but according to 3bb only 8 people are using this line.

Just had the technicians here again and they found nothing wrong.

10 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

It comes and goes but it's getting more frequent. I've been told that it probably is caused by many people using the internet at the same time but according to 3bb only 8 people are using this line.

Just had the technicians here again and they found nothing wrong.

Sounds like it's just how it is out here in Thailand. 95% of the time it's fine. I play SC2, world of tanks/warships, fortnite etc and there are the odd days when the connection is just not good enough so I play Skyrim. With world of tanks - sometimes it defaults to the Oz server which triples the ping time, make sure you are on the HK server if you are having a lag issue.

I play World of Tanks and Warships on PS4 connecting to Sony servers in Singapore, then to WG servers in the US and Europe. I have experienced occasional issues such as slow response of control commands, moving, turning and shooting. I never have issues playing COD, Battlefield, Sniper Elite or any of the other shooter games I play.  I have found that when WOT or WOW become unplayable, if I close the game, then restart it the issues are sometimes resolved. This leads me to think that slow game play is not an internet latency issue but from the WG Servers, that PS4 connects too. I consistently get 170+/70+ speeds to Sony servers in Singapore using the consoles Network connection test. 

16 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

I play World of Tanks and Warships on PS4 connecting to Sony servers in Singapore, then to WG servers in the US and Europe. I have experienced occasional issues such as slow response of control commands, moving, turning and shooting. I never have issues playing COD, Battlefield, Sniper Elite or any of the other shooter games I play.  I have found that when WOT or WOW become unplayable, if I close the game, then restart it the issues are sometimes resolved. This leads me to think that slow game play is not an internet latency issue but from the WG Servers, that PS4 connects too. I consistently get 170+/70+ speeds to Sony servers in Singapore using the consoles Network connection test. 

I used to get a ping of about 30 ms when the Asia server was located in Singapore but when they moved it to HK it doubled. Not a problem in itself but there seems to be more connectivity issues now then before.

On 1/3/2020 at 12:10 PM, SteveK said:

Decided to fire up world of tanks today and the lag is awful. Much worse than the last time I played. I would call it almost unplayable.

It seems to me weekends are worse than weekdays. Do you have the same impression?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, cupeez said:

55-60ms as far as i remember results in very smooth gameplay so if you are experiecing lags it may be your PC. download proces shacker for free and when gaming check on it whether its cpu,memory,disk, or gpu lagging

The lag is not constant. It comes and goes and sometimes I can play for days without the lag so I don't see how it can be my PC.

• 8 months later...

the problem is with 3BB routing to hong kong.

using a tool such as pingplotter you can actually see which servers are lagging.

punctual ping time has nothing to do with it, the problem is packet loss over several seconds, the problem comes and goes.

3BB technicians sent to you can't do anything because the problem is with 3BB infrastructure.

the lags are just horrible

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1