Besides Being A Mutt - What Is This Dog?

Obviously I know what kind of dog is on the left. She's a real bitch lately - hot all the time. She's also in heat. The dog on the right is a soi dog that has made his home in our village. I took the picture a few days ago when my bitch was still dripping. The male dog on the right wasn't all that interested in mounting her but now that she has stopped dripping, he's camped outside my house 24 hours whining all day and night.

My dog has Kee Lung so I will not be breeding her. As soon as this heat is over I'm getting her fixed. Nah, I'll wait a few months and do it - let her hit a year old.

What kind of dog is sparky? He's pleasant enough, does fight with some of the other dogs in the village, likes to chase cars and has been following me home for the last two weeks.

I'm thinking of adopting him, domesticating him, and cutting off his balls. I'll do that in reverse order. No one particularly cares for him, he subsists on what the guards feed him and one of the Thais gives him chicken, bone included.

Since he's camped out waiting for an opportunity, I've been feeding him round the clock.

I don't know how old he is, but he's pleasant enough to everyone. I've given him food, taken it away as a test and he has no aggression. He's a street dog and I'm concernced about domesticating him as I have a baby that is days away.

I've heard he has bitten other dogs, not sure about humans.

post-41594-1175459646_thumb.jpg

Edited by jeffrosner

... has been following me home for the last two weeks.

I'm thinking of adopting him, ...

Looks like the dog adopted you already. You're too late, mate :o

before you decide to alter one or both of your dogs, here's a link I came accross a few days ago. It really makes me think:"but what then ...(especially when one talks about all these unsupervised streetdogs)?"

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHea...euterInDogs.pdf

Nienke

My bitch has a disease passed by mother's milk. I will not let her procreate and pass it on to her kin. She is getting spayed.

Sparky (The white dog) needs shots, a scrub, his ears cleaned and his nails clipped. I also want to cut off his balls so he calms down a bit. He's a nice dog but has only been around men and my wife is fearful of him. He is a bit agressive but not in a threatening way. My bitch has already shown him that she is boss so that should help.

I think those are both sound reasons to spay and neuter.

And to Nienke, you're right, Sparky has adopted me. It all started when he followed me home but now he is camped outside my house and never leaves. And why not, he gets three hots a cot and he looks longingly at my bitch all day.

It's too bad he can't chuck wow himself.

JR

before you decide to alter one or both of your dogs, here's a link I came accross a few days ago. It really makes me think:"but what then ...(especially when one talks about all these unsupervised streetdogs)?"

Nienke

Firstly, apologies, OP, as I'm about to take your thread slightly off topic.

Nienke,

Whilst I have the greatest respect for you & admiration for your work with dogs, I feel the above quote is slightly simplistic. I was going to pm you rather than reply in the forum (particularly on a thread where it is "off topic") but I feel that a possible other side needs to be put to this.

I am an advocate of neutering & neuter & release programmes, in fact I am about to institute an N&R programme in Hua Hin in conjunction with Dogchance. As you know, SDR does this in BKK (as does Dogchance) & other non-profit orgs do this throughout Thailand.

I read your link with interest & am not questioning the research. In fact, I personally, have had 2 female dogs who have/had spay incontinence. However, I think your concern for these problems in street dogs is a little misplaced when you consider the life these dogs lead, their projected lifespan, and the threats posed to them by not neutering.

Firstly, owned & soi dogs are two different kettles of fish, IMO. If owners can take all precautions to prevent puppies being born & do not wish to neuter their dogs, then that is their choice (obviously). However, I think every member of this forum would agree that there is a huge dog overpopulation problem in Thailand. So, what's the solution?

Traditionally, it has been to cull the dogs, by poison or other means. Surely neutering (even with the possible risks to some of those neutered) is more humane than that? What other problems do these dogs have that can be prevented by neutering? VG. Your study does not mention that, but it is a huge problem here. It's costly to treat, and so many dogs go undiagnosed & untreated. By cutting down on dogs having intercourse, we cut down on the incidence of VG. Prolapses of vagina or uterus. Again very common with soi bitches who have litter after litter. How about the bitches who get worn down by malnutrition & constant breeding? Fighting & aggression over females is reduced (nay eliminated) with neutering, so the dog I have in the center with one eye probably wouldn't be there had he, the male he fought with & the bitch they fought over been neutered. Road accidents. If a bitch in heat crosses the road, half the males in the area cross also, maybe starting a fight in the middle of the road. I've personally been witness to a lot of this in the last couple of weeks, as 3 (soi) bitches in the area have come on heat. The noise & annoyance the dogs cause during these times leads inevitably to poisonings by irate residents.

I read a study of soi dogs (I'm afraid I can't remember where, so I can't provide link, perhaps SDR literature?) which said that the average lifespan of a soi dog is approximately 3 years. I don't think your linked study even applies to dogs on the street, most won't live long enough to develop the problems, should they be predisposed to them. IMO, neutering may prolong these dogs' lives, not shorten them. In fact, I am sure this (your linked) study was for owned dogs, and did not take street dogs into account.

I still stand by neutering for owned dogs as well. In a country with problems with strays, like Thailand, I feel it is irresponsible to let dogs breed indiscriminately. Despite the risks, which are slight, we neuter all of our dogs & I will continue to do so.

before you decide to alter one or both of your dogs, here's a link I came accross a few days ago. It really makes me think:"but what then ...(especially when one talks about all these unsupervised streetdogs)?"[/b]

Nienke

Firstly, apologies, OP, as I'm about to take your thread slightly off topic.

Nienke,

Whilst I have the greatest respect for you & admiration for your work with dogs, I feel the above quote is slightly simplistic. I was going to pm you rather than reply in the forum (particularly on a thread where it is "off topic") but I feel that a possible other side needs to be put to this.

Hi November Rain and Elfe,

I just wrote a whole reply and it all got lost in cyberspace gggrrrr.

Anyway, take two:

In my post I wrote " but what then ......(especially when one talks about all these unsupervised streetdogs?" I meant with this the enormous dilemma with the (owned) streetdogs and strays that roam the streets and reproduce uncontrolled. If you (meant in general) won't alter them, how are you going to stop all these unwanted litters? So for these dogs, there seems to be no alternative then to alter them.

However, I do think that dog owners should be informed about the risks of altering their dog/s. Often advice is given too easily to spay and neuter a dog (referring to pet dogs), and there might be people out there who really would like to know the pro's and con's before they may or may not decide to go ahead with the surgery.

I'm truely sorry about this misunderstanding as it was not my intention to be against dog rescue organisations' N&R activities. Although, I'm critical and really wish it could be different, I'm fully aware of the reality and I also promote N&R activities of streetdogs and strays. But I never spayed or neutered my own dogs. I just keep them seperate every heat cycle.

Nienke