4G DTAC Mobile Data Subscription? Any suggestion?

arfandy

Hi all, Happy New Year 2020

I need some suggestion regarding DTAC 4G Mobile data subscription, preferably monthly 30-day autosubcription.

So basically i'll tether the signal to couple more tablets/smartphones so my kids and wife can freely use it for watching streaming (youtube, netflix, amazon prime, etc) every evening for an hour or two after dinner.

Wouldnt use it for heavy download (i.e torrent, mediafire, etc)

Maybe occasionally i will use it to upload thousand of photos and documents into Google Drive, Cloud, etc but not as often

Occasionally update dozen of apps and games (~3GB for monthly updates, my current online game consumes at least 1GB for monthly update)

I dont know which speed should i choose from all DTAC prepaid Internet packages. I know Thai company defines "unlimited" as not exactly unlimited so the packages with prefix "Unlimited" should have limited usage per day perhaps? I am not sure if 1Mbps or 4Mbps sound as fast as it should be or just "adequate" for light browsing? Or should i choose volume-based and constantly re-subscribe the same package whenever the data is about to finish?

I'm willing to spend around ~THB 700 per month on 4G Internet Package (my wife might subcribe to lightweight package for her personal use)

Please do advice.

PS. I have not considered to switch to other broadband companies (THAis, 1-2-call, True) as i have always used DTAC since 2002

Thank you

I use 1499 fully unlimited 4G from DTAC. There's no cap after which it drops the speed. That part is good, but...

Several places I used it, that includes my home and office, have terrible signal (1/5, sometimes 2/5) and the speed is significantly slower than True and AIS. Magnitude slower, despite saying DTAC-T at the top.

So for what you want it for, I'd say check the signal and speed (you can download Speedtest by Ookla app, or go to speedtest.net or testmy.net) before committing to them.

True is slightly faster than AIS, but both are in 100+ mbps. DTAC hovers in 30-50 mbps range on very good days, or below 10 when signal is ... well, poor, which is many places.

All that said - DTAC has by far the best customer support, app and now apparently even free roaming. Haven't tried that. Last time (2 months back) they charged me 899 for 15 days unlimited internet... which was so slow it could only be used for text chat, could not even send a picture. Despite LTE available, it mostly chose 3G or even 2G network. I'll surely never used their roaming in Europe again. Only Germany had 4G and decent speed.

Let me add link to my package: http://www.dtac.co.th/en/postpaid/products/package.html

Mine is Super Unlimited 1499 - which looks like Go 1499 without international roaming. I see Go 1200 also has unlimited internet but less call credit while higher packages have more or unlimited calls as well. They include 5 GB roaming data per month as well. But if roaming is as crappy as what it was in my last trip, I'm not missing anything.

Edited by tomazbodner
Added last paragraph

Pop into a DTAC service centre, pick up a new SIM for 49 baht, add 200 baht credit and subscribe to the 10 Mbps unlimited package for 200 baht per month.

All of the network have similarly unlimited data packages at the same price. So choose the one that can actually achieve 10 Mbps at your location.

If you already have a DTAC SIM, speed test it with a one day pack *104*851*9# That gives 100 MB for 9.63 baht. 

Run a speed test on it. https://testmy.net

If you get at least 10 Mbps at your location, go ahead with the new SIM. If not, try the same with a SIM from another network. Once you find which can achieve at least 10 Mbps at your location, add 200 baht and then apply the appropriate code.

• Like 1

Assuming 10 mbps is enough for him, hooking several devices at the same time on it... Netflix 4K is taking 18 mbps sustained on its own. Youtube 4K is over 25 mbps. Not sure about Amazon Prime as I don't have it. Even FullHD on Netflix is over 10 mbps. With several additional devices connected, and drop in signal in bad weather/high usage in the area - I don't think 10 mbps will do for the OP.

3 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Assuming 10 mbps is enough for him, hooking several devices at the same time on it... Netflix 4K is taking 18 mbps sustained on its own. Youtube 4K is over 25 mbps. Not sure about Amazon Prime as I don't have it. Even FullHD on Netflix is over 10 mbps. With several additional devices connected, and drop in signal in bad weather/high usage in the area - I don't think 10 mbps will do for the OP.

Please....where do he state 4k anywhere? Don't create unlikely and imaginary issues. You thinking the kids are watching Netflix 4k on their Smartphones and Tablets?

NetFlix HD requires 5 Mbps, not 10 Mbps.

Remember, 200 baht per month is considerably under budget, so he can in fact purchase more than one SIM.

None of it matters if they cannot receive more than 10 Mbps at their location anyway. 

I have a 10 Mbps connection and can stream Full HD.

If, for instance Truemove H offers more than 10 Mbps at their location, they can buy 60 GB full speed SIM that cost 100 baht per month to run.

A couple of those would give a 4GB per day allowance. 3 of them, a 6 GB per day allowance for 300 baht per month.

But the 10 Mbps SIM are best for when data volume is more important than out and out speed throughput. A couple of Full HD movies can easily use up a 6GB daily allowance.

10 Mbps equate to 4.5 GB/hr. Easily covering the average Full HD stream. Though of course can utilise 9 GB in just two hours.

so SIM with a data cap not recommended.

I maintain that one or more of the 10 Mbps SIM packs are the way forward.

You can even pursue cheaper individual packs for the kids.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Pop into a DTAC service centre, pick up a new SIM for 49 baht, add 200 baht credit and subscribe to the 10 Mbps unlimited package for 200 baht per month.

All of the network have similarly unlimited data packages at the same price. So choose the one that can actually achieve 10 Mbps at your location.

If you already have a DTAC SIM, speed test it with a one day pack *104*851*9# That gives 100 MB for 9.63 baht. 

Run a speed test on it. https://testmy.net

If you get at least 10 Mbps at your location, go ahead with the new SIM. If not, try the same with a SIM from another network. Once you find which can achieve at least 10 Mbps at your location, add 200 baht and then apply the appropriate code.

Thank for the suggestion. My simcards are about 10 months old (after i trashed 4 older sims) and i remember when i got these new simcards at DTAC Central Ladprao, the customer service had no prior knowledge about "buy mew card, topup 200 baht and enjoy unlimited speed every months". In fact, after i bought 49 baht simcard x 2 of them, i had to topup 600 baht each, then the rep subscribed the 490 volume-based package because according to her, it is fast enough. 

Less than a week i had to resubscribed another 490 baht package because the volume ran out.

Therefore, i honestly do not rely whatever knowledge that DTAC service center has. They will likely HIDE the fact that new simcard is eligible for certain special promo package. Thus, here i am asking some honest knowledge among other expats.

For information, I am away off the country and scheduled to return in February 2020. My current DTACs are still valid because i made sure to buy 365 days validity before leaving country, 8 months ago.

Also, i did not know that 4G coverage in Bangkok is limited. I cant check it yet but i live in the vicinity of Mission Hospital Bangkok, about 1km from Siam Paragon & MBK. It's just 5 bus stops. 

I assume this incredible unlimited speed package will not valid on my "new" 10 months old simcards?

On 1/2/2020 at 10:51 PM, tomazbodner said:

I use 1499 fully unlimited 4G from DTAC. There's no cap after which it drops the speed. That part is good, but...

Several places I used it, that includes my home and office, have terrible signal (1/5, sometimes 2/5) and the speed is significantly slower than True and AIS. Magnitude slower, despite saying DTAC-T at the top.

So for what you want it for, I'd say check the signal and speed (you can download Speedtest by Ookla app, or go to speedtest.net or testmy.net) before committing to them.

True is slightly faster than AIS, but both are in 100+ mbps. DTAC hovers in 30-50 mbps range on very good days, or below 10 when signal is ... well, poor, which is many places.

All that said - DTAC has by far the best customer support, app and now apparently even free roaming. Haven't tried that. Last time (2 months back) they charged me 899 for 15 days unlimited internet... which was so slow it could only be used for text chat, could not even send a picture. Despite LTE available, it mostly chose 3G or even 2G network. I'll surely never used their roaming in Europe again. Only Germany had 4G and decent speed.

Let me add link to my package: http://www.dtac.co.th/en/postpaid/products/package.html

Mine is Super Unlimited 1499 - which looks like Go 1499 without international roaming. I see Go 1200 also has unlimited internet but less call credit while higher packages have more or unlimited calls as well. They include 5 GB roaming data per month as well. But if roaming is as crappy as what it was in my last trip, I'm not missing anything.

Thanks for answer. 

But my DTAC is prepaid, not postpaid. Last i checked, my prepaid 4G DTAC offers max out at THB 900 monthly package. I dont think short-stay foreigner like myself is eligible to have postpaid card.

18 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Thanks for answer. 

I doubt my 3yo & 6yo kids even notice the different between HD & fHD as they randomly play youtube videos of Ryan's Toy Review, and i limit them the use of gadget to 75 minutes per day. They dont really use all 75 minutes for all-time youtube/netflix but they do login to their online game and play too.

Yes, my phone will be used as tether spot and being hooked to at most 3 devices. I'd appreciate if you can recommend me which 4G DTAC Prepaid package you think will fit my situation. 

My location is 5 bus stops away from Siam Paragon. I dont know if 10Mbps coverage will actually blanket my place or not.

1 hour ago, arfandy said:

Thank for the suggestion. My simcards are about 10 months old (after i trashed 4 older sims) and i remember when i got these new simcards at DTAC Central Ladprao, the customer service had no prior knowledge about "buy mew card, topup 200 baht and enjoy unlimited speed every months". In fact, after i bought 49 baht simcard x 2 of them, i had to topup 600 baht each, then the rep subscribed the 490 volume-based package because according to her, it is fast enough. 

Less than a week i had to resubscribed another 490 baht package because the volume ran out.

Therefore, i honestly do not rely whatever knowledge that DTAC service center has. They will likely HIDE the fact that new simcard is eligible for certain special promo package. Thus, here i am asking some honest knowledge among other expats.

For information, I am away off the country and scheduled to return in February 2020. My current DTACs are still valid because i made sure to buy 365 days validity before leaving country, 8 months ago.

Also, i did not know that 4G coverage in Bangkok is limited. I cant check it yet but i live in the vicinity of Mission Hospital Bangkok, about 1km from Siam Paragon & MBK. It's just 5 bus stops. 

I assume this incredible unlimited speed package will not valid on my "new" 10 months old simcards?

They won't and unless the SIMs were activated prior to the 1st of March 2019, they may not be eligible for some other unlimited data packages.

Post again a few days before arrival, in order to find out what is available at that time.

Edited by Eindhoven