Any estimates for a 110m electrical hookup ?

MikeN

The missus has some land in Ubon province that we will eventually be building on, now she is getting worried that the cost of running power and water to the site will be too much. It is approx 80m to the corner of our land plus about 25/30meters to where the power will probably come in

.powerline.JPG.781b387b53585d4223498d191650171d.JPG

There is one existing house on the subdivision, just outside of town, plus 9 other blocks. That house has it's powerline propped up on old tree branches, which passes the front of our block at just over head height ...definitely have to change that !

IMG_4817.jpg.f96ba91af9651012e7429fd237942ae9.jpg

As I see it there are a number of possibilities ...the best for us (but least likely) is that the PEA will think ahead and put in it's concrete poles and wires to cater for all the land.

Much more likely is that they will tell us to put the poles and wires in at our cost, have the meter at the main line as the existing house does, in which case the steel poles would be cheaper I imagine ?

Would the existing house contribute to upgrading their poles ? Maybe, maybe not. And if somebody builds another house would they contribute to put their line on "our"poles ..probably not. As I understand it the poles are really only yours if on your land, otherwise they belong to the PEA even if you paid for them ? The dirt track is a right of way, but I don't know if it is a proper amphur road or not.

So assuming the worst case scenario, with the meter on the pole at the main road and we pay for poles and wires to our land, any estimates on how much it would cost ?

poles 

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

As I understand it the poles are really only yours if on your land, otherwise they belong to the PEA even if you paid for them ?

Yes basically.

i paid for an over 1km line, 3 phase on an island, was around 700k THB excluding transformer - this included 100 trees that had to be cut down from the main road (which was public but had no electricity line - the trees cutting took like a week).

I would guess this is like 100k more or less, prolly less if not 3 phase? Poles itself are like 500 or 1000 THB afaik with a bit of work involved...

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

The dirt track is a right of way, but I don't know if it is a proper amphur road or not.

This should be private land then. if it's proper road then it's government owned and would not be registered on the chanote imo. The one who owns the land basiscally owns this poles.

You could charge, and should everyone who wants to connect there. I do the same, everyone pays me half of my cost, or they can go and do it themselves... but not over our land.

This is not only the cost, it's also time and headaches to deal with, wouldn't want anyone else to benefit from my work without compensation.

I paid 45,000 for 4 poles and approx 80 m cabling just under 3  years ago, direct from pea,,,,,,,,I did get some dodgy builders quoting 250k.

our soi is not registered we don’t even a soi name or number,you pay for the poles pea install them and then they belong to pea,then your neighbour can just add another pole and pea will extend line to there land/house.

I think @taninthai is on the mark.

Task A. Visit PEA with all the relevant details they will tell you where they intend placing your meter.

Dependant upon A you'll likely be paying for poles and cable to run to the edge of your land (they will then belong to PEA). Then you will also pay for any poles to go from the meter pole to your home (PEA will likely install those for you too). They will likely move the neigbours meter to the new pole at the same time.

How big a home are you building? If you need anything larger than a 15/45 meter (45A) then you may need to go 3-phase which will of course up the $$$. In reality a 15/45 will supply most homes even with aircon and decent water heaters.

57 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I think @taninthai is on the mark.

Task A. Visit PEA with all the relevant details they will tell you where they intend placing your meter.

Dependant upon A you'll likely be paying for poles and cable to run to the edge of your land (they will then belong to PEA). Then you will also pay for any poles to go from the meter pole to your home (PEA will likely install those for you too). They will likely move the neigbours meter to the new pole at the same time.

How big a home are you building? If you need anything larger than a 15/45 meter (45A) then you may need to go 3-phase which will of course up the $$$. In reality a 15/45 will supply most homes even with aircon and decent water heaters.

Are you sure they belong to PEA?

The land they run over is also private land and he has a way of right over it, normally the land owner has to sign that he allows PEA to install poles there. At least that's what i had to do.

Imo these should be owned by whowever owns the title dead where he has a way of right over and not PEA as there's no public road involved here?

10 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Imo these should be owned by whowever owns the title dead where he has a way of right over and not PEA as there's no public road involved here?

If the land is indeed private with an access easement rather than a "public" road not on anyone's property then you're probably correct, either way he's not going to own the poles.

Much depends upon what PEA want to do regarding positioning the meter, it seems daft to have all the meters at the existing entry point and running many small wires to each property.

12 hours ago, MikeN said:

The dirt track is a right of way, but I don't know if it is a proper amphur road or not.

This is the important thing to find out.

Sort out all the permissions required before doing anything, it may even be best to run temporary poles from a meter adjacent to the existing one and then, as more places get built, think about getting the road "adopted" so PEA can run their poles and place meters at each property.

Each of the chanotes for our 2 adjacent blocks have a sketch map pinned to them, similar to the 1 that I posted, which shows the location of each plot in the subdivision. There is something written along the road shown on the map, the missus translated it as"means people can use to get to land", which sounds like at least a right of way. The chanotes are locked away in her sisters safe so cannot double check on that. I don't see how it can still be private land because there is no other access to these plots or the rice paddy behind . The existing house has its poles along there.

So "our" poles would be public/PEA poles, you would think that the PEA would run a main line but TIT, I would not be surprised to see all the meters at the main road pole and then wires to each house.

4 hours ago, taninthai said:

I paid 45,000 for 4 poles and approx 80 m cabling just under 3  years ago, direct from pea,,,,,,,,I did get some dodgy builders quoting 250k.

our soi is not registered we don’t even a soi name or number,you pay for the poles pea install them and then they belong to pea,then your neighbour can just add another pole and pea will extend line to there land/house.

That sounds like our situation regarding the soi.

The wife was talking to a sparky working at the sil house, he quoted around 300k which is why the wife is worried. Personally I think that is a "special" price because he knows she is married to a farang.

As I mentioned in the OP we also have to run water, it would be crazy if each block had to run its own pipes from the main road and its own power lines too.

But.....T.I.T.

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

That sounds like our situation regarding the soi.

The wife was talking to a sparky working at the sil house, he quoted around 300k which is why the wife is worried. Personally I think that is a "special" price because he knows she is married to a farang.

As I mentioned in the OP we also have to run water, it would be crazy if each block had to run its own pipes from the main road and its own power lines too.

But.....T.I.T.

I also run our water pipe there was a water pipe going up 1 side only so I just cut a t into and run 55mm blue pvc pipe about 60 meters ,,,left it just sitting on the mud ,,,as another 3 houses has been built since then they all tapped of or extended the water pipe I put in it has also been buried now.

i notified the or bor tor that we have water now ,and they even rang us to check we have water .......but they have never come to read the meter in 3 years????????????????

the pea sorting the poles.

70D9E730-8D7D-40B8-8C42-DBC3B63D6253.jpeg

Archived