Three family members dead as suspected microsleep strikes again

webfact

Three family members dead as suspected microsleep strikes again

6pm1.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

A microsleep - what the Thais call "lap nai" - has been blamed after a pick-up driven by a Satun father slammed into a central reservation tree on the Petchkasem highway in Thap Sakae district of Prajuab Khiri Khan on Sunday. 

Dead at the scene were a 50 year old mother and three year old boy who were in the cab of the crumpled pick-up. A 16 year old boy with the same surname was thrown from the back of the vehicle and died in Thap Sakae hospital. 

Injured inside the cab was a 54 year old man and an eight year old girl with the same surname as the others. 

A 32 year old man in the back with a different surname survived after being thrown clear. 

6pm2.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

The accident happened at KM marker 332.7 outside Huay Yang Withaya school. 

Huay Yang police saw no signs of braking on the road and suspect that the driver fell asleep at the wheel. 

The family was on their way home to Satun in the far south after visiting Samut Sakhon. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-06
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Yesterday I passing this accident but have to mention, how about the safety about this highways??

How do you get it, as government, in your crazy head to plant a double row of trees over a lenggth of many kilometers without guardrail.

Apart from the accident, is in my opinion, the government partly responsible.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

The new in word for the new year.... Microsleep.

Last year brake failure was the in term, now microsleep.

Most of the Thai drivers do not know about the switch, which lets either fresh air in from the outside or circulate the air in the passenger compartment. If they leave it on circulation, the amount oxygen in the car will dramatically decrease, which makes you tired and leads to disastrous accidents.

aircon.jpg

Edited by fxe1200
  • Like 1

I have been on lots of tours with my Thai family and the one thing that is constant. They all fall asleep except for the driver, not long after the trip is on the way. I am surprised that more accidents do not happen because, there is no one in the cab of the vehicle who will talk with the driver to keep them awake. Thailand, the wild,  wild  East., 

Geezer

I have a bro-in-law who can fall asleep at the drop of the hat.  At party time at our house like Thanksgiving or Christmas, he can nap on the couch when there's a dozen or two people running around and yakking.  He generally drives OK, though he scared me recently driving on a twisty road that was wet and had absolutely no shoulder, no guard rails and 2-3 meter deep ditches on the side.  He slowed down a bit when I told him he could stop and let me off 50 km from home. 

1 hour ago, oby said:

because your country of superior intelligence no one has fallen asleep while driving

"More than 6,000 people die in drowsy driving-related crashes in the US each year, a recent study suggests. Millions of US drivers fall asleep at the wheel each month, and roughly 15 percent of all fatal crashes involve a drowsy driver,""

Yes, if you say so. Then I must be of a superior intelligence, coming from a country where only about 30 people per one million dies in road accidents every year. So, I guess I will stand by that it´s possible to feel if you are too tired to drive before you sleep.

Maybe not for you, but for all of the people like me and my fellow countrymen.

If we would say that about 15% of that involves a drowsy driver as the failing point. Hell yeah! That would make about 4,5 person per one million that dies related to this every year.

Hey man, come back and talk more when you lived in a country where the people really know how to drive and also know their limits before it´s too late.