Took (aka Tuk) is back in town

pewe

As I stay in CM until February, I would like to hear of more 'unusual' blues, rock, jazz concerts. Please write here or pm me!

Edited by pewe
Spelling, English is not my mother tongue

Thanks for this... Good to know he is still playing.

Also, it made me curious about other people We’ve seem at Brasserie. Chai and the Blue Maniacs with Nurse...  it looks like they are still in Bangkok and will be playing at the Saxophone Pub on the 12th.. Not sure where Mai and fhe other guys that played with Tuk play.

Maybe of interest... We have not been there, but awhile ago (a few years), we heard there is live music at Roadhouse Chiang Mai and you probably know about Boy Blues Bar already.

Thank you for your reply. I heard a friend say that Chai was playing in CM over Christmas. Maybe somebody knows more? We visit Boy Blues Bar regularly, and it is the no. one place for blues lovers. Tonight is open mic as every Monday. Sometimes very good music, sometimes not to good music. But always fun.

There was a place called Roadhouse in Charoenpratheth (???) Road near Rasta Cafe, but that seems to be closed, same as Siam Tulip run by a musiscien in the same street.

Took never left......he lives here.

But he has played a little lately, including twice at the Rasta Bar - in November and December. He sold the Brasserie long ago. He plays when he feels like it.

Chai and Miss Nurse played here in June? perhaps. They play here every so often. They do play in Bangkok. I don't know how often.

• Like 1

Took. "He plays when he feels like it." Exactly. Behaves like hes some sort of rock god from the past. Turns up when he feels like it. Goes on stage when he feels like it. Shows little or no respect to the people who turn up to see him. He can play a bit, agreed, but hes only a cover artist of Hendrix, Santana etc. Totally unprofessional. Always was, always will be.

23 hours ago, EL159 said:

Took. "He plays when he feels like it." Exactly. Behaves like hes some sort of rock god from the past. Turns up when he feels like it. Goes on stage when he feels like it. Shows little or no respect to the people who turn up to see him. He can play a bit, agreed, but hes only a cover artist of Hendrix, Santana etc. Totally unprofessional. Always was, always will be.

What an odd response. As far as I remember he is in his mid 70's by now and is worth quite a few mil THB. He shows up to play as a favor to, and at the request of his friends he's known for many decades. Many people come to see him and buy drinks and have a good time. Simple as that.

1 minute ago, elektrified said:

What an odd response. As far as I remember he is in his mid 70's by now and is worth quite a few mil THB. He shows up to play as a favor to, and at the request of his friends he's known for many decades. Many people come to see him and buy drinks and have a good time. Simple as that.

Gave up on him years ago. When he played at The Brasserie, he would be expected/ advertised to "appear" at around 10pm, but would often keep his audience waiting until he literally, felt like it. Often more than an hour late. Everyone knew he was there, but presumably he was "enjoying" whatever he was imbibing bacck stage. As I said before, hes not Eric Clapton or Carlos Santana, just a bloke who covers their music. Unfortunately he always seemed to have a very high opinion of himself. Bit of an a.hole, actually!

I understand some of the resentment voiced here as also turned up at the Brasserie several times to an empty stage but Tuk is by far the best local musician and when he did play always entertained. I recall one night couple of years back when he just played Pink Floyd, a band I don't particularly care for, but boy what a fabulous night and all for the price of a couple of beers. 

Worth persevering to me.

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Not aware that Hendrix ever recorded "Crossroads". A Cream song but originally written as "Crossroads Blues" back in the 1930s.

Ups, sorry for this. Of course a cream song.

2 hours ago, EL159 said:

Gave up on him years ago. When he played at The Brasserie, he would be expected/ advertised to "appear" at around 10pm, but would often keep his audience waiting until he literally, felt like it. Often more than an hour late. Everyone knew he was there, but presumably he was "enjoying" whatever he was imbibing bacck stage. As I said before, hes not Eric Clapton or Carlos Santana, just a bloke who covers their music. Unfortunately he always seemed to have a very high opinion of himself. Bit of an a.hole, actually!

This is the beauty of the world we live in, we can all have different opinions. Each to his own. If only we all could express that in a civilized manor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1