laying insulation bats on old wiring?

ubonr1971

Im doing renos on an old building. We just ripped out the old gyprock ceiling and the old wiring is sitting on the old aluminium frames to hold up the gyprock. 

I wanted to lay the insulation bats on top of the old wiring. Is this a fire hazard? It seems that most of the wires are inside a metal round protective thing that leads to the side walls etc. 

Also the old switches are 2 prong indicating that theres no earth. Is this correct? I assume that I should pay my sparkie to re-wire and then have the 3 electrical sockets. If he does this I suppose he will pull out all the old wiring. Do I need to actually do this or can I leave it with the 2 socket thing as it is in the photo? What are the risks?

thanks

IMG_7537.jpg

IMG_7536.jpg

IMG_7535.jpg

IMG_7533.jpg

If you are doing renovation?? Why not redo the electrical wiring as well? I did it in a two storey 300 sqm house, and it cost something like a measly 30-35k baht. It´s not rocket science.

Edited by Matzzon
Do not come talk about work permit now
  • Like 1

Looks like most of the cables are in conduit so laying bats on top will not be an issue.  Definitely add ground to the power points and any ceiling fans (I wouldn't bother for the lighting circuits).  The old wiring should be OK to use unless the insulation has degraded.  Just run the ground and change the receptacles.

Some of the installation is strange though: like the cable coming out of conduit into a hole in the wall, cables coming out of a hole in the wall, and cable dropping down from the ceiling hangers.