UK Citizenship & UK Passport Application With Expired Foreign Passport?

My wife and stepdaughter (under 16) both have ILR in the UK and we're now looking at applying for UK citizenship and subsequently UK passports for them.

Depending on when we start the citizenship application process (and given it can apparently take up to 6 months), my step-daughter's Thai passport may expire before the 6 months has elapsed.

Is this an issue for the citizenship application or does the foreign passport just have to be valid at the time of application? Likewise would it be an issue when subsequently applying for her first UK passport?

Struggling to find anything on this, so thanks in advance for any pointers.

What is the problem? Why in the world can´t she apply for a new passport before you file an application? Or aplly for a new passport after and file it later in the application?

I think you are making a problem about nothing.

As far as I know in the UK, a Thai passport can only be renewed in person in London. The fact that we're in Scotland (and probably don't have all the necessary paperwork here, like Thai house book), would mean it would almost be easier to go to Thailand and renew it. I'd prefer to do neither right at this time if I don't have to. That's why I'm asking the question.

4 hours ago, TCA said:

As far as I know in the UK, a Thai passport can only be renewed in person in London. The fact that we're in Scotland (and probably don't have all the necessary paperwork here, like Thai house book), would mean it would almost be easier to go to Thailand and renew it. I'd prefer to do neither right at this time if I don't have to. That's why I'm asking the question.

It's a long haul, if they find they need a further piece of info.

The daughters mother had the Scottish docment proving her divorce. The person dealing, accepted to phone the court clerk's office that it was the correct document. After politely saying it would be unreasonable to ask for the impossible English court document. But for a few moments, it looked like mission failure, after enduring the trip down with the Daughters mum, and having to pretend to smile.

We were wondering if the mobile consulate can do anything with passport renewal, if they were up in Edinburgh or even Newcastle, but out of time now.

The other thing is change of name, the daughter is still using her maiden name, as it would involve a trip to Thailand to change name. (Then change Thai passport, before you can change UK passport....)

• 2 weeks later...

Were going down to London this week, for the Daughters passport renewal (over 20).

It appears just to be photocopies of èverything apart from their existing passport for the under 20s. 

Easier to renew before expiry though....

Thanks. Good to know.

I'm hoping we can get through the UK citizenship and UK passport applications without the need for a new Thai passport at all.

Far easier to renew on the next visit to Thailand and no issues entering Thailand on an expired passport. Even at that, with a UK passport there wouldn't be any rush to get a new Thai one.

Archived